I am looking for some advice from you Live News shooters. For the last 12 years we lived way out in the middle of nowhere, so I never got into Live News. We are now back in town and, in 3 weeks or so, marijuana will be on sale in the shops here. So my questions is - what is Live News workflow? How does it work? My camera (D750) has its own wifi, so I can get photos onto my phone. I presume you use OOC jpegs. How do you keyword, and how do you upload? All comments and suggestions welcomed from a total beginner. 

Colin

Colin

There are many answers to this question.  Some people do upload via the phone but you need a way to add a headline caption and perhaps keywords (this can be done later but my understanding is that it will not go over to stock without keywords_.  I use photo mechanic to title, caption, keyword and rate photos before importing to Lightroom for processing, using a laptop and mifi.  But,  I shoot in RAW; many live news shooters use JPEGS for speed.  I guess it depends on your level of technical ability.     To sell Live News they do have to be of a reasonable standard unless you are snatching a photo at an incident (for example) Some one like Red Snapper can give you much better advice but at the end of the day there are many different approaches and you use what works for you.

Keywords can be done later. You're supposed to headline and caption.

I've seen uploads gone up on Live News where headline wasn't done and each photo ended up on its own. Made a complete mess of the Live news feed until Alamy fixed it. Wouldn't suprise me if the contributor got a rather strongly worded email from Alamy for that.

You can caption and upload via your phone using:

iOS: Shuttersnitch

Android: Press IPTC or MoPhoto

Photo Mechanic is popular on a laptop but if you're going via a laptop you could use Lightroom, although that's slower.

It depends on the urgency of your news. If it's something that needs to be out in minutes, or even within a minute, camera to FTP via mobile is a good option. If it's a general photograph of an ongoing issue, you maybe have time to edit a bit and use your usual workflow.

2 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

Nowhere yet. When I get going it will be to Alamy.

yes, but is there a link, an email, a separate submission queue? were in Alamy do you actually submit your photos?

This is something I have been looking into.

I did a trial at the weekend but from home via a computer. Its easy enough just choose news from you normal upload screen rather than photograph.

Where I didn't succeed was headline and caption on the mobile ( android ). I tried the Press IPTC app but couldn't figure it out. I will give it another try when I have more time.

3 minutes ago, BobD said:

This is something I have been looking into.

I did a trial at the weekend but from home via a computer. Its easy enough just choose news from you normal upload screen rather than photograph.

Where I didn't succeed was headline and caption on the mobile ( android ). I tried the Press IPTC app but couldn't figure it out. I will give it another try when I have more time.

oh that's it?! thanks...mystery solved.

It’s worth taking some time to read the advice from Alamy about the particular format that the caption needs to be in. And it’s different for say, weather, and a news event. For example, my weather caption would be

”Edinburgh, Scotland, 6th June 2018. UK weather: [your caption]. Credit: Sally Anderson/Alamy Live News”

The news format is a little different, and if you don’t get it right the news team will change it, but that delays them sending images out to the media outlets. Pay attention to any changes they make and you’ll get the hang of the format.

advice here

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-news-images/captions-headlines-dates-live-news-images/

My workflow depends on where I am (and which camera I have). 

If I am in easy distance of home (e.g. taking weather shots outside my own front door) then I shoot raw, do a quick and no messing edit and add a headline and caption using lightroom. I then upload using the Alamy website.

If I am away from home, I use my RX100M3 which has built in wifi. I transfer to my iPhone and then add headline, caption and FTP to Alamy using Shuttersnitch.

The fallback is using the iPhone for both taking the pictures and submitting via the Stockimo route.

If you are expecting a big event then it might be worth practicing in advance with some soft news (I'm thinking weather here!) so that you get the workflow figured out and don't mess it up when cannabis is legalized. 

2 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

We are now back in town and, in 3 weeks or so, marijuana will be on sale in the shops here.

It will also help not to sample the news. :D

32 minutes ago, kay said:

.........  I add the caption and headline in Lightroom...... 

I didn't realise that you could add the caption and headline in LR Mobile - I'd thought of using that in the past for news but couldn't find any provision for caption / headline. Wonder if they've added it since I tried - will have to give it a look. Many thanks for the tip!

sure enough, I was walking from work to my boxing class tonight and came across EMS and fire just arriving at an accident, so took a snap from a respectful distance while they attended the scene. I have mixed feelings about this.

6 minutes ago, JeffGreenberg said:

But if this is correct:

"Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada"

aren't chances of Live News licensing the longest of longshots

unless news is of overwhelmingly worldwide importance???!!

Why would UK nationals outside of UK?

very very true...I submitted it anyway as there were a bunch of search terms recently for our health services paramedics here. I see alot in my searches now for local stuff...it's surprising actually. I didn't think there would be much market for it here, but I do see alot and have started to gear some shooting towards it.

Colin,

Why can you not travel or attend with a laptop?  I've shot news with my laptop connected to my camera and

with most of my captions (IPTC info) written I could upload very quickly via FTP to my agency back then.

One thing that I would add is that I am always thinking of the long term because one or two immediate uses

mean less to me than licenses over a few decades.  I will also say that while I do not use pot, marijuana photos

never did well for me.

Chuck

6 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

But if this is correct:

"Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada"

aren't chances of Live News licensing the longest of longshots

unless news is of overwhelmingly worldwide importance???!!

Why would UK nationals outside of UK?

Canada is the first G7 country to legalise.

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Canada is the first G7 country to legalise.

yup, development permits for cannabis all over my neighbourhood....uploading alot of that stuff today.

13 hours ago, Colin Woods said:

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll have a play and upload some weather pictures before I get into any actual news.

I am not sure what the procedure is now but some years ago I had to ask Alamy to add me onto the Newsfeed list. Before they added me the news feed was greyed out.

Allan

29 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

I am not sure what the procedure is now but some years ago I had to ask Alamy to add me onto the Newsfeed list. Before they added me the news feed was greyed out.

Allan

I was able to submit no issues.

44 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Allan

I believe they changed this policy so that everybody gets access to the news feed.

7 minutes ago, funkyworm said:

Colin, dont forget that you have a time difference with the UK which can work against you in Canada. With the cannabis story, it may pay to get the first customers in the morning, in itself an angle to the story, but means that they are on Alamy's desk in their afternoon.

I tend to upload in the evening, so it's there first thing in the morning for review. Think I am a 7 hour difference.

Archived