Certain rules for some?

I was doing a search on a certain subject and came upon this image.  I clicked on it just because of the doubtful caption and discovered even more doubtful tags...:rolleyes:...but that's not my point here.  Before I clicked away, I noticed the pricing for PU: £21.66.  At first, I presumed that Alamy had had a change of heart regarding the multiple and continuing obvious abuse of this licensing option and seen fit to raise the standard calculator fee - but apparently not.  Most images are still set at the standard lower rate (currently £9.99 in the UK).

The agency that supplied this image seemingly has this higher price set for all it's images when licensed as PU.  Where's the opt-in button so that I may join this exclusive club? :huh::rolleyes::angry:

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

I think it has always been the case that agencies can set their own prices for RF.

Aah, I wasn't aware of that.  Can I be a one-man RM agency?! :D:lol::D

I notice it's cheaper to get (at least one image I've identified) through Alamy than it is to download it on that agencies' own website. I wonder what their contributor thinks when (s)he gets a lesser amount through a distributor sale than a direct one? Hang on, I think I can guess. :D

1 hour ago, Niels Quist said:

And they accept videos. It'll cost you $5-10 per month, though. But that could easily be worth it.

Do you mean Alamy will accept videos? They've kept that quiet! Do they still require a minimum of 500 clips?

4 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I assumed that this referred to the agency that the OP mentions

I don't think so. I know the agency and dabbled with them briefly but I know of nothing regarding a video library there.

2 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

Do you mean Alamy will accept videos? They've kept that quiet! Do they still require a minimum of 500 clips?

No, I meant the agency in question, not Alamy. But I may be wrong - I thought I saw video mentioned on the site, but cannot find it now, so probably wrong.

Yes, I was wrong.

7 hours ago, losdemas said:

I was doing a search on a certain subject and came upon this image.  I clicked on it just because of the doubtful caption and discovered even more doubtful tags...:rolleyes:...but that's not my point here.  Before I clicked away, I noticed the pricing for PU: £21.66.  At first, I presumed that Alamy had had a change of heart regarding the multiple and continuing obvious abuse of this licensing option and seen fit to raise the standard calculator fee - but apparently not.  Most images are still set at the standard lower rate (currently £9.99 in the UK).

The agency that supplied this image seemingly has this higher price set for all it's images when licensed as PU.  Where's the opt-in button so that I may join this exclusive club? :huh::rolleyes::angry:

With a caption like that, will it ever sell? 

Luckily those almost 200,000 images are from hobbyists who don't understand stock photography.  It's unlikely any of those images will be high in relevant search results due to the amateurish captions and keywords.

On 14/05/2018 at 20:21, Sally said:

With a caption like that, will it ever sell? 

When I read the OP  I thought that the issue would be about the captioning and tags on the image. They are probably some of the worst I have seen. But if they are typical of others around, then I can sleep more easily about my own.

On 5/14/2018 at 13:10, losdemas said:

Hi everyone

We would like to explain this post as we are currently doing a pricing trial with this particular agency. What you see is adjusted "shop front pricing" to test how it will affect their sales. This is not open for any photographers or other agencies. 

As mentioned in one of the above comments, agencies have always been able to set their own RF prices as part of their contract, which is different from what you have spotted here. However, we see that most agencies actually take our price recommendations and are on the exact same contract as individual contributors. 

We do regular mural sweeps, and there are no expectations for any contributors. But we can't guarantee that all images are picked up on, and there will always be images of murals uploaded in between our sweeps that will be available for a short period of time.

Thanks 

Alamy

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JeffGreenberg said:

Curious, what's wrong with these tags?

aster bug flower insect macro nysius purple savill garden seedbug surrey yellow

One month on, I don't know if any of the tags have been changed, but (in this case), I would have thought that surrey and savill garden are overly specific location tags given the subject? The other tech tags (100mm 7d canon eos7d f2.8 macro) are surely unnecessary?

Archived