You may be lucky, if the picture was below 6Mpix, then the fail may not lead to a ban. 

I had that also once, not checking the resolution. 

At the time, the image failed more or less directly right after upload and the entire batch still ended up with an approval by QC. 

8 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Could you not send an email to Alamy explaining the situation?

I tried that when one of my news uploads was moved to the normal QC process. (albeit being news worthy images and done in error by alamy) 

They would not delete the batch and it had to go through the process. 

Luckily the batch did not fail - but the pictures were not the quality I usually submit. 

I have not submitted any news pictures since.

1 minute ago, hdh said:

I tried that when one of my news uploads was moved to the normal QC process. (albeit being news worthy images and done in error by alamy) 

They would not delete the batch and it had to go through the process. 

Luckily the batch did not fail - but the pictures were not the quality I usually submit. 

I have not submitted any news pictures since.

That's bad form and is yet another example of Alamy's bad attitude towards its contributors.  So even though you sent an email, you were refused and the upshot of that is you've never again submitted news pics, which in effect has potentially cost Alamy income.  Yet again I'm stunned at the way Alamy treats its contributors.  Scandalous!

3 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

That's bad form and is yet another example of Alamy's bad attitude towards its contributors.  So even though you sent an email, you were refused and the upshot of that is you've never again submitted news pics, which in effect has potentially cost Alamy income.  Yet again I'm stunned at the way Alamy treats its contributors.  Scandalous!

I would not put it as harsh as that, its their process that they adhere to - objectively regardless of who the contributor is.

Also my free decision to accept that or not. 

The loss in income is most probably negligible, I am not a big seller so far. 

It is arguable if a news batch should ever end up in the normal QC queue or not, personally I would have preferred to have the choice. 

Like "Your batch has failed the news upload, do you want to submit it to the usual QC process instead?", giving the uploader the choice of what to do. 

2 minutes ago, hdh said:

I would not put it as harsh as that, its their process that they adhere to - objectively regardless of who the contributor is.

It is arguable if a news batch should ever end up in the normal QC queue or not, personally I would have preferred to have the choice. 

Like "Your batch has failed the news upload, do you want to submit it to the usual QC process instead?", giving the uploader the choice of what to do. 

Maybe I was being a little harsh but, in this instance, the OP is a new contributor so surely he needs to be treated well?  He made an honest error so Alamy could do the decent thing...

Thanks for the quick response

I sent an email immediately after I realised my blue so hopefully they will take pity on a newby. I tried to delete in AIM it says ‘deletion pending’

When you say banned, is that for a certain time period or forever?

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Could you not send an email to Alamy explaining the situation?

Alamy already said they can't do anything in this situation.

Gen

You should only get a ten day upload freeze if you have one star on your dashboard.  To be fair to Alamy, they get thousands of photos uploaded weekly and that is why the process is as automated as it can be.  

I too have suffered from live news images being moved to stock by an editor's decision.  It failed QC so I got a ban.  Their house, their rules.  Having said that I did ask for a ban to be suspended as I was covering a major news event and they, exceptionally agreed and issued me with "words of advice" as the police would say.   I take the view if I want to use their not inconsiderable  sales infrastructure I have to follow their rules and judgements. 

5 hours ago, hdh said:

I suspect that if that option was offered, it would encourage people to submit things to news that aren’t really news. However, I agree with others’ suggestions about having a choice, once an image has been in news, about whether it then goes into stock, as I think it takes 3 months  to disappear if deleted at that point. 

6 hours ago, Aussie Boy said:

Thanks for the quick response

I sent an email immediately after I realised my blue so hopefully they will take pity on a newby. I tried to delete in AIM it says ‘deletion pending’

When you say banned, is that for a certain time period or forever?

You might be lucky. I did something like this about 6 years ago - submitted an image and then realised there was a big dust spot on it. I emailed them straight away and they did bend the rules. They failed the image as SoLD (which it wasn't) but passed the rest in the batch and there was no punishment which at the time was a mandatory 30 days. Also you may not get an upload freeze although as that is not a great big deal anyway as you have only just started. .

3 hours ago, Aussie Boy said:

Thanks for the replies. I needn't have worried because it passed QC so I'll delete it asap. QC must be an automated process because it was well down on Mp size. anyway, more care next time!

You might be an Aussie Boy but you're also a lucky boy!! QC probably didn't look at that image. Close shave!

Gen

3 hours ago, gvallee said:

You might be an Aussie Boy but you're also a lucky boy!! QC probably didn't look at that image. Close shave!

Gen

Oh yee of little faith!  yes for sure I'd rather be lucky anyday.:)

On 03/03/2018 at 12:13, vpics said:

I think if you use the web uploader, it won't go through if it's too small. 

Don't worry, we've all done it. 

Indeed, don't think that it will even appear if that is the case, certainly won't cause a batch fail. I managed to upload a photo intended for screen use and it was picked up immediately.

Don't know how a small image got through to be honest, are you sure that it was below the minimum size.

1 hour ago, GS-Images said:

I think that it was above the minimum size of 17MP uncompressed. If not, either the web uploader (not sure if that detects it or not) or the processing stage that comes before QC would pick it up. I recently uploaded a live news image that was too small, and AIM just gave an error. Possibly a processing error. I'm sure it'll be the same for stock uploads too.

Geoff.

Correct. The web loader would have thrown up an error message if it was too small.

John.

I immediately emailed Alamy requesting it be pulled and was advised that it couldn’t.

The file was around 2mp and meant for social media.

I will just count it as a lucky miss and leave it at that without making any further comments in case the additional comments raise a flag QC.

1 hour ago, Aussie Boy said:

I immediately emailed Alamy requesting it be pulled and was advised that it couldn’t.

The file was around 2mp and meant for social media.

I will just count it as a lucky miss and leave it at that without making any further comments in case the additional comments raise a flag QC.

Are you sure you're not confusing the file size of your compressed jpg with the pixel dimensions of the image it contains? A 2mp (2 megapixel) image should have been rejected before it ever reached AIM. What are the pixel dimensions (width x height) of the image in question?

Archived