5 sales on this months statement for $9.16….. 

Usage: Editorial
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Print run: up to 500,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1 page
Start: 01 January 2018
End: 01 January 2023
Duration: 3 months. Any placement: Inside or cover.

Seriously? UK sale for magazine, all formats available inside or cover… is this a joke?  My cut, for an image that could be placed on the cover of a UK magazine is approximately £3 ? how can Alamy justify this? Ive been a contributor since day one, but things are really getting bad.  I know that the stock photo business (as I am used to) is in a tailspin, but I'm beginning to wonder whether to bother any more... sorry, all a bit negative, but surely they have to explain this?  I have emialed them and will tell you what they say.  Mark

Please 

19 minutes ago, markbolton said:

5 sales on this months statement for 

Please don't quote these low prices on this public forum. You're telling every image buyer who cares to look in how little he can pay for images.

You signed a contract giving Alamy authority to sell at whatever price it judges appropriate and that's the reply you will get from MS.

4 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I thought that we had reached the bottom of the death spiral but obviously  not. :(

How exactly are photographers supposed to make ends meet? 

I just made 3 sales here which is good news but $9, $9 and $18 are comparatively low. The irony is I just got a microstock sale for $70. 

5 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I see microstock as the cause of the problem not the solution. 

The two biggest stock companies are trying to drown each other and everybody else is pulled down with them. 

On the contary, I get some decent individual sales on microstock like I just quoted. It isn’t their fault how prices are set here. You have to admit the prices Mark has quoted are ludicrous for a magazine cover. 

3 minutes ago, Marb said:

On the contary, I get some decent individual sales on microstock like I just quoted. It isn’t their fault how prices are set here. You have to admit the prices Mark has quoted are ludicrous for a magazine cover. 

Please stop promoting MS now. You now have sales on Alamy. Why not put them on the sales thread?

I'd ask for the evidence how long the customer uses the pictures. Otherwise this is a kind of deception :-/
If Alamy as agency offers this, THEY MUST control that, too. Everything is not really seriously. - IMHO

Start: 01 January 2018
End: 01 January 2023
Duration: 3 months.

On 17/02/2018 at 09:24, spacecadet said:

Please 

Please don't quote these low prices on this public forum. You're telling every image buyer who cares to look in how little he can pay for images.

You signed a contract giving Alamy authority to sell at whatever price it judges appropriate and that's the reply you will get from MS.

+1

By all means. complain if you are unhappy with pricing but do it direct to Alamy and not on a forum where customers have access to.

53 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Please stop promoting MS now. You now have sales on Alamy. Why not put them on the sales thread?

I will post them on the sales thread. I have no agenda to promote ms over Alamy. I just can’t sit back and hear some blame ms for Alamy’s lower pricing trend, especially when ms sales are not always low as I have just pointed out. Whatever I post in these forums gets jumped on by the same people who have a head in the sand view of Alamy v ms when in fact it can work to have one foot in both camps.

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

I see the red arrow low fees fan is busy again!! :D

What's that all about?  No need to give red arrows, it's petty and childish.  BTW, I've given you greenies to counteract the reds...   :)

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

+1

Complaining about low prices does nobody any good. It won't change the market, it won't change Alamy's business plan, it will only depress photographers and it does tell anyone who wants to log in what they can negotiate prices down to.

By all means post the successes and the three-figure sales - though even then I would suggest not giving all the details - but announcing to the world how little your photos are selling for helps nobody, even if it does make you feel better for some odd reason.

By deliberately ignoring the bad and only trumpeting the good this forum will be misleading photographers into investing time and money that may be better spent more constructively elsewhere.  This forum is worthless to us if it is little more than an arm of alamy's public relations machine. 

13 minutes ago, andremichel said:

By deliberately ignoring the bad and only trumpeting the good this forum will be misleading photographers into investing time and money that may be better spent more constructively elsewhere.  This forum is worthless to us if it is little more than an arm of alamy's public relations machine. 

Everyone here is his own man. But on a public forum it doesn't help to highlight low prices for all including potential buyers to see.

There's no point bleating about lack of sales until you get some then bleating about how poor they are.

5 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

I'm curious how much of that $70 from MS you actually receive? I don't know how MS works (and don't particularly care!) but I wonder what sort of percentage you actually receive for a fee like that.

Microstock prices are always net prices - what you get. But a decent price there is much more rare than here. Some sort of extended / premium licence which is rare.

6 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

That doesn't deserve the 2 reds I see, it's just stating a fact. I don't like the MS model at all but nobody should be put off making a polite post stating what they have experienced, due to fear or red arrows and criticism.

FYI he gave them before he got them

58 minutes ago, andremichel said:

I totally agree but detailed pricing discussion would only work to contributors' benefits if it were private to us. Alamy have seen fit to make the forum public so we should be circumspect for our own benefit. There are other, non Alamy specific, (more) private forums and facebook pages where these matters can be discussed in private and even be specific about the performance of individual libraries. At the end of the day one is wise to assume anything posted on the internet is essentially public (but not copyright free of course).

5 hours ago, Colblimp said:

What's that all about?  No need to give red arrows, it's petty and childish.  BTW, I've given you greenies to counteract the reds...   :)

So this post earned me two red arrows.  Seriously, whoever's dished those out would want to grow up.  Pathetic...

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Unfortunately I think they were from the chap you were sticking up for.

Seriously?  Unbelievable!  No wonder Phillipe left the forum.  And you'd think people that age would have a bit of cop on - obviously not... :rolleyes:

• Alamy locked this topic

Archived