Affordable online backup solutions/providers

Hi all, I have decided that it is time to find an easy to use and affordable online storage/backup provider. Any ideas? Amazon's offering is not very price competitive IMHO and I'm not mad about Flickr's free offering. The other aspect is security. Once you put everything in the cloud how do you ensure that it is not illegally shared, either deliberately or through incompetence? Suggestions on a postcard please. MTIA. John

You beat me to it Jansos, I was just about to ask the same question.

I currently use external hard drives for backups but I have just moved to an area of high humidity which can damage them.

I am waiting for a dry cabinet next week, but for added peace of mind, I have decided to also backup in the cloud.

Who would you recommend?

Also, how would I upload 17,000+ pix? A bit late to think about it after all this time, I know.

Thanks!

Gen

Last year, after a gas main expolosion destroyed three apartment buildings nearby,  I decided it was time for off-site storage. Amazon has several offerings. I did a 3 month free trial of their photo plan, which was free at the time with Amazon Prime, or $12/year for non-Prime members.

The problem was I had to upload each photo manually to the site.

I'm currently using CrashPlan. What I like about it is that it runs in the background so I don't have to think about it. I had about a tb of data, including about 50,000 photos when I first started and it took weeks to upload. I'm  currently using nearly  2tb of unlimited storage. This summer the rate was $60 for a year but the rate is going up.

Another choice is BackBlaze which was about $55/year the last time I checked. Depending on where you are in the world , you may prefer something a bit closer to home. 

fD

2 hours ago, fotoDogue said:

Another choice is BackBlaze which was about $55/year the last time I checked. Depending on where you are in the world , you may prefer something a bit closer to home. 

fD

I've no experience myself but someone on the IMatch forum recently recommended BackBlaze.  This also might be of interest......

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=7493.0

From Geoff Kidd on the Professional Stock Photographers FB page:

Not on the Alamy forum but I noticed that some members here had asked there about cloud-based back up providers. I've used Carbonite, on and off, for a number of years. No problems in recent times and I've had to get some files back without any issue. I've about 120k backed up inc a lot of client work which has to be kept very safe for a number of years.

One thing to look for in cloud systems is being able to auto upload from external drives, not all do that and some of the third party software that allows it can be ropey at best. I run my computer as programs and current files only, all images once finished are on various externals, some on archival DVDs and all backed up to Carbonite. 

I did try Amazon as well a few years ago but the plan didn't allow for other than internal HD file upload which meant using third party application which wasn't up to the job. 

Just a FYI as I can't post there.

Phil

I wanted to use european-based storage only dropbox is a no-go, and use 1 TB from Strato. You can access your data from PC and phone (android at least) with a  user friendly app.  The price consists of multiple elements: storage, number of users, additional access methods like (s)ftp, Webdav.  They have various offers, currently 7.5 Eur/month , including 10 user accounts and additional access protocols.

7 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Depends what you mean by affordable.

I've used Photoshelter since 2005.

I pay around $500 a year for unlimited storage, website, file management, ftp etc - its simply an integral part of my workflow.

I also have a PhotoShelter account but it's not really the same thing. Sure you can upload large photo files for storage and download as needed, but as far as I know, you have to do that manually - a small group at a time.

By comparison, most of these back-up services work in the background, like Time Machine on a Mac. You simply set which computer,  drives or folders you want to back-up and the software does the rest. If you need to restore a folder or drive you just indicate which one you want to restore, set the destination, and the software does the rest.

fD

Just now, Rick Lewis said:

This might be an option.  I've read good things about iDrive:  https://www.idrive.com/online-backup-features

It seems to have a very good feature set.  Might be worth checking out.

Rick

Thank you Rick. I will take a look.

On 09/12/2017 at 12:21, geogphotos said:

Depends what you mean by affordable.

I've used Photoshelter since 2005.

I pay around $500 a year for unlimited storage, website, file management, ftp etc - its simply an integral part of my workflow.

I used to use them also but found the price a little too high for my pocket, although I did like their website hosting element. :-)

On 09/12/2017 at 00:40, gvallee said:

You beat me to it Jansos, I was just about to ask the same question.

I currently use external hard drives for backups but I have just moved to an area of high humidity which can damage them.

I am waiting for a dry cabinet next week, but for added peace of mind, I have decided to also backup in the cloud.

Who would you recommend?

Also, how would I upload 17,000+ pix? A bit late to think about it after all this time, I know.

Thanks!

Gen

It seems like a no brainer really, especially if it can all happen in the background. I'm always worried about storage drives failing or being stolen.  Just need to find the right solution. :-)

Anyone considering cloud based back-up, who hasn't done this before, should be aware it can take a month or more to back up your data. I think it took me about 8 weeks, running my computer 24/7 to back-up a terabyte. 

For an extra fee most services will allow you to send a hard drive if you want your data backed- up immediately.

fD

7 hours ago, fotoDogue said:

Anyone considering cloud based back-up, who hasn't done this before, should be aware it can take a month or more to back up your data. I think it took me about 8 weeks, running my computer 24/7 to back-up a terabyte. 

For an extra fee most services will allow you to send a hard drive if you want your data backed- up immediately.

fD

That's good to know, I hadn't realized that.  I'm also looking into cloud based backup.

Are you able to do other tasks on your computer while it's doing the backup?

Maria

2 hours ago, MariaJ said:

That's good to new, I hadn't realized that.  I'm also looking into cloud based backup.

Are you able to do other tasks on your computer while it's doing the backup?

Maria

Yes. I have 16gb and the computer runs as usual. Uploads do run faster when the computer is idle.

The CrashPlan software includes a little icon in the menu bar so you can check progress, set preferences, etc.

By default, CrashPlan also sends an email update with details showing much is stored, the last time there was a full back-up and a warning if your files haven't been updated in several days.

“ Mac mini” Backup Destinations

CrashPlan Central

Last activity: 5.9 hrs ago

Last complete: 5.9 hrs ago

Backed up: 1.6TB

Out of curiosity, do you guys backup up your Raws or Jpgs in the cloud? 

I think I know the answer as Raw is the negative equivalent, but in case I have to re-download them all (God forbid), re-process 17k images??!! Daunting prospect to say the least.

Gen

Just now, geogphotos said:

I back up all the RAWs and a JPEG at Photoshelter, and have 2 external HDs for RAWS. Once I have those 3 copies I delete from my computer + camera card.

Alright. Thanks Ian.

If you want a website associated with online storage, consider Zenfolio (very similar to SmugMug in concept and main competitor I think, also US based). 

Zenfolio is primarily a photography website provider with different packages and features such as ability to sell images online through a professional lab (they use One Vision in the UK, similar to Loxley) and they offer unlimited storage of JPEGs. Raws can also be uploaded at a charge of around 10 cents per image per annum (I've not used this as I store my raws and PSDs on hard drives including offsite). The more advanced web packages offer private online galleries if you are shooting for clients. Images can be downloaded by clients so it would be possible to license images as well if required. Customer service is excellent (response within an hour or less when I've used them including Sundays) and web designer is easy to use and highly customisable, updates are immediate and my website speed is fine.

7 hours ago, gvallee said:

I think I know the answer as Raw is the negative equivalent, but in case I have to re-download them all (God forbid), re-process 17k images??!! Daunting prospect to say the least.

Gen

I back up everything, not only photos.  About 3TB.

8 hours ago, gvallee said:

Gen

I back up everything including the outtakes, raw files and finished tifs. CrashPlan saved me twice when my archive drive and local back-up drive failed.

6 hours ago, MDM said:

If you want a website associated with online storage, consider Zenfolio (very similar to SmugMug in concept and main competitor I think, also US based). 

Zenfolio is primarily a photography website provider with different packages and features such as ability to sell images online through a professional lab (they use One Vision in the UK, similar to Loxley) and they offer unlimited storage of JPEGs. Raws can also be uploaded at a charge of around 10 cents per image per annum (I've not used this as I store my raws and PSDs on hard drives including offsite). The more advanced web packages offer private online galleries if you are shooting for clients. Images can be downloaded by clients so it would be possible to license images as well if required. Customer service is excellent (response within an hour or less when I've used them including Sundays) and web designer is easy to use and highly customisable, updates are immediate and my website speed is fine.

Zenfolio looks interesting. Any idea if it is much different from Photoshelter? The Pro service looks reasonably priced.

Archived