Post some of your Winter and Holiday photos

Johnnie5

50 minutes ago, Halit Olmez said:

Hello. My winter-holiday photo from Luxembourg. Hope you like it.

ferris-wheel-in-motion-at-night-in-luxem

That is beautiful and so are your other photos. Welcome to Alamy.

Paulette

On 11/29/2017 at 09:43, Johnnie5 said:

a-group-of-snowflakes-on-leaves-and-grass-created-by-lake-effect-snow-FBX2D3.jpg

Snowflakes
The Truckee River at Wadsworth Nevada

Johnnie, I really like the image of the ice crystals you took on the Truckee River.  Brings back very fond memories of living in Reno.  We were very frequent visitors of Truckee and the Sierras.  That image is stellar!

Rick

36 minutes ago, Rick Lewis said:

Johnnie, I really like the image of the ice crystals you took on the Truckee River.  Brings back very fond memories of living in Reno.  We were very frequent visitors of Truckee and the Sierras.  That image is stellar!

Rick

Hi Rick, Thank you, the circumstances were unusual because this was lake effect snow off of Pyramid Lake which is slightly alkaline and saline which may account for the large size of the crystals.  One winter we had freezing fog for almost three months. The local Pauite tribe called it Pogonip, which people said translated to "white death" which seemed appropriate.

4 minutes ago, Johnnie5 said:

Hi Rick, Thank you, the circumstances were unusual because this was lake effect snow off of Pyramid Lake which is slightly alkaline and saline which may account for the large size of the crystals.  One winter we had freezing fog for almost three months. The local Pauite tribe called it Pogonip, which people said translated to "white death" which seemed appropriate.

Oh man, "Pogonip"!!  How I remember that.  What a beautiful sight though.  Not to be confused with black ice that literally can be "black death" which can be caused by Pogonip or "white death".  B)

Thanks for the memories!

Rick

1 hour ago, Sultanpepa said:

Is that "Coats" in Paisley Lynne?

Yes Douglas, well spotted! It's the Anchor Mill, but it was actually J Clark & Co not Coats. The Coats mill was at Ferguslie in Paisley. However Coats seems to have been more of a household name and their name always seems to spring to mind first. 

7 minutes ago, Lynne said:

Yes Douglas, well spotted! It's the Anchor Mill, but it was actually J Clark & Co not Coats. The Coats mill was at Ferguslie in Paisley. However Coats seems to have been more of a household name and their name always seems to spring to mind first. 

Ah yes, just checked my images of it and I haven't tagged coats in them thankfully. :)

Archived