Zooms aren't what they used to be?

Maybe it's just my natural pessimism, but I seem to be seeing fewer instances of an exclusive zoom, often there are 6 or more of us jostling for a customer's attention. There is now 115 million images available, I feel that the rate of growth of the collection is outstripping my ability to grow my own port.

Whereas once it would be possible to make a decent income from around 3000 shots, unless your collection is outstanding in some way, this is no longer the case. This year, for the first time since I have had a reasonably sized port, and despite many additional shots, I predict that I will be seeing a  drop in my total number of sales, although, fingers crossed, my gross income is holding up. 

Nothing new here I guess, it's a tough market and getting tougher......

often there are 6 or more of us jostling for a customer's attention.

Survival of the fittest!

Nothing new here I guess, it's a tough market and getting tougher......

I'm always looking around for alternatives and I still believe that Alamy is the one of the better options out there. 

In my opinion there will be anyway never enough images. Time is changing...... trends are changing.... cities are changing.... people are changing. For all those new images are needed. For example in one the main streets in my city there was a large renovation. I have images from that street before, during and after the renovation. Because of the new look i will photograph the street again. Customers will be interested for the new images. Others will be interested for the renovation activities itself. Last but not least there are always customers that needs an image of the street from before the re-construction. 

So i just think don't be discouraged because of the high amount of images online here. Keep continue shooting all the details of your home place.

Mirco

............running to stand still............

or

working to stand still :D

Zooms - I've had many less zooms than previously but of my last 20 sales only 3/4 have come from zooms 

Just sold a license of a very new photo uploaded just last month. Of a new shopping centre that is newly built.

So new photos of new things sell !

Lastly, Saturation. When i joined Alamy 5 years ago people were talking about it when there were less than One Million for sale .. as Geophotos stated.  

But I assume some customers may want newer images and the older images may redundant to certain customers. I realise orher customers may want the older image as well . So that leaves the question can there be to many images ?

Zooms don't seem to be so important anymore and have declined since the mouseover function started. Most of my sales were not zoomed beforehand.... that being said, I had an image reported as zoomed and licensed at the same time today !

2 hours ago, MircoV said:

About Alamy and customers i noticed that the website traffic according to Alexa heavily growth. I remember few years ago Alamy was on position 16K or something. Now it is 3K. and still climbing. See link:

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/alamy.com

Bounce Rate 65.80%.

wim

I started a similar thread not long ago about income ceilings. Also having a good dose of natural pessimism, I think that the challenge for many of us who can't churn out 1000's of images every year is going to be to simply keep on treading water as sales graphs income graphs continue to head in opposite directions and zillions of new images keep on flooding in from all directions. Someone should write a blues song about all of this. :P

52 minutes ago, lisah2006 said:

Oh. New to all this and I guess I missed the time frame to get on board. Well, I'm a mom and this is just a thing to do in my spare time so I guess I'll just keep plugging on. You never know if you don't try, I guess? 

Didn't mean to discourage you. One of the great things about Alamy is that you get to build your own boat. Best of luck.

Keep plugging away @lisah2006.  You have some great images in your portfolio!  I'm retired and think of Alamy as a challenge.  My problem is there are so many great editorial stock photographers here!  :)  The challenge is to get better and compete with them.  But, that's how we grow. 

Rick

4 minutes ago, Rick Lewis said:

Keep plugging away @lisah2006.  You have some great images in your portfolio!  I'm retired and think of Alamy as a challenge.  My problem is there are so many great editorial stock photographers here!  :)  The challenge is to get better and compete with them.  But, that's how we grow. 

Rick

Thank you! I worked for 13 years in newspapers and have a degree in journalism so I guess editorial is sort of my thing, but right now I just have a lot of my kids because...well....I'm a mom. And since I'm a mom, that's my main job but I figure building a foundation now could pave the way for something later, when I'm old and gray, because, dang, I'm getting old! lol!  An insider told me lifestyle and editorial-like is big now. Maybe my old jobs prepared me for this season. I wish this was an overnight money maker since print journalism left me pretty poor, but nothing worth having is easy, right? You keep plugging away too. I'm going to go check out your work and get some inspiration! :)

1 hour ago, Rick Lewis said:

Rick

Rick, I looked at the first two pages of yours, and you have the right idea. I really like your content and you have some images not easily replicated by most of us. Law inforcement target practice, soldiers in camo, etc. 

You just need to keep adding more. Success will come.

Betty

23 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Rick, I looked at the first two pages of yours, and you have the right idea. I really like your content and you have some images not easily replicated by most of us. Law inforcement target practice, soldiers in camo, etc. 

You just need to keep adding more. Success will come.

Betty

Thanks, Betty.  I've been very fortunate to get a few of those images in my portfolio.  I truly enjoy adding to my port and am amazed by the technical prowess of the regulars here on the forum. I have learned a great deal in the last few months.

Rick

Archived