My sample size is small compared to the Alamy pie - but i wanted to share my stats between 2016 and 2017 - i have now sold the same number of images in the 10 months of 2017 as I did in the 12 months of 2016 - gross income now beg the same but for $11.

Whilst prices aren't what they used to be - i am pleased that at least in my small sample - average sale price is holding firm between the two years - and 2016 was a good year for me

2 hours ago, Sally said:

Small sample size at over 23,000 images??? Is there any information about the distribution of portfolio sizes amongst Alamy contributors? 

Total Alamy images = 115 million

23,710 / 115,000,000 * 100 = 0.02%

Yes, I would agree that is a small sample ...

I believe there are several contributors with 100,000+ images and plenty of agencies with 1 million+ images. Most individuals starting out now won't get to 5,000 is my guess, most are likely to be disappointed quite quickly and will stop submitting due to unrealistic expectations, bar a minority of course, there will always be those with exceptional talents or dogged determination who will make a success of it. My biggest regret is that I only discovered Alamy in 2010 ... oh what could have been if I had joined from the beginning.

Marc

9 hours ago, famousbelgian said:

Total Alamy images = 115 million

23,710 / 115,000,000 * 100 = 0.02%

Yes, I would agree that is a small sample ...

I believe there are several contributors with 100,000+ images and plenty of agencies with 1 million+ images. Most individuals starting out now won't get to 5,000 is my guess, most are likely to be disappointed quite quickly and will stop submitting due to unrealistic expectations, bar a minority of course, there will always be those with exceptional talents or dogged determination who will make a success of it. My biggest regret is that I only discovered Alamy in 2010 ... oh what could have been if I had joined from the beginning.

Marc

Dogged determination.... that's me. Nearly 3,000 since February, not giving up any time soon.

17 minutes ago, Sally said:

Dogged determination.... that's me. Nearly 3,000 since February, not giving up any time soon.

Lol. Any success ?

I uploaded 750 since September and it will continue... 

But is it all about number ?

I sometimes produce images that are not pure photos but need more work. :

Is it worth it to upload them to Alamy? Example : illustration-silhouette-of-bird-flying-i

13 minutes ago, Southmind said:

Lol. Any success ?

Is it worth it to upload them to Alamy? Example : illustration-silhouette-of-bird-flying-i

Yes, first sale was in May with only a few hundred photos. Nine sales altogether, three of them this month, so as my collection grows it seems the sales are increasing, but it's really too early to tell. I do spend a LOT of time keywording. Was delighted to receive my first payment from Alamy last month. It will never keep me in my retirement, but it's great fun. And I'm learning all the time.

26 minutes ago, Sally said:

Yes, first sale was in May with only a few hundred photos. Nine sales altogether, three of them this month, so as my collection grows it seems the sales are increasing, but it's really too early to tell. I do spend a LOT of time keywording. Was delighted to receive my first payment from Alamy last month. It will never keep me in my retirement, but it's great fun. And I'm learning all the time.

Thank you, it's encouraging !

2 hours ago, Southmind said:

Lol. Any success ?

I believe you would do better on POD sites with images like that.

Allan

17 hours ago, Sally said:

Small sample size at over 23,000 images???

Statistically speaking, and making the assumption that those images are a reasonable reflection of the nature and spread of the whole Alamy library, a sample of 23,000 is actually very large...

Which is why, for example, exit polls taken in UK general elections, which probably only interview around 5-10,000 people on the way they finally voted, are actually very accurate in predicting the behaviour of tens of millions of voters

km

4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I believe you would do better on POD sites with images like that.

Allan

Yes Allan. I tested one, few years ago. I get sales from time to time but with a low return. 

1 hour ago, RedSnapper said:

Statistically speaking, and making the assumption that those images are a reasonable reflection of the nature and spread of the whole Alamy library, a sample of 23,000 is actually very large...

Which is why, for example, exit polls taken in UK general elections, which probably only interview around 5-10,000 people on the way they finally voted, are actually very accurate in predicting the behaviour of tens of millions of voters

km

You can represent a population of 100 million with a sample size of just a few hundreds. Thing is, the sample has to be chosen randomly. A single contributor's collection, however large, cannot be considered a random sample because every contributor has their own preferred subjects and locations.

I'm now only a dozen sales away from my 2016 total. However, the average price per image is down to about $53 from $58 last year. My guess is that my gross income will be roughly the same this year as last,  but I'll be needing more sales in total (probably 12-15) in order to get there, which shouldn't be a problem.

Similar story when I compare 2016 to 2015. It's called treading water (not complaining, though, things could be much worse).

57 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

One calculation I'd like to see is the RPI  per year given the approx mean of 10p on Alamy.

Tough calculation to do accurately as my total number of images is always changing -- roughly $1.20 (gross) RPI for 2016, and about $0.95 (gross) RPI so far this year. I've added more images than normal this year, which partially accounts for the drop.

Sorry, I don't do p's. B)

40 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Tough calculation to do accurately as my total number of images is always changing -- roughly $1.20 (gross) RPI for 2016, and about $0.95 (gross) RPI so far this year. I've added more images than normal this year, which partially accounts for the drop.

Sorry, I don't do p's. B)

I think the 10p quoted was for net RPI, so need to halve those gross values to compare. Also need to remember to take $ and £ into account, as the 10p was in GBP. 

38 minutes ago, andremichel said:

I think the 10p quoted was for net RPI, so need to halve those gross values to compare. Also need to remember to take $ and £ into account, as the 10p was in GBP. 

Right. Also, about 20% of my sales are distributor ones, so I would have to take those extra commissions into account when calculating net RPI.

Too lazy...

Archived