Picture Quality Dilemma

Dave D

I've just keyworded an image that recently been accepted on here, and when i view it, especially as a thumbnail in image manager, it makes me cringe just a little!! The edit and the processing isn't perfect.

However, its already sold twice on another agency, so i'll let it stay (maybe until i get to do a better edit?)

Does anybody else have these sorts of images in their portfolio?

Dave

I have some images on Alamy that I didn't want to submit in the first place but they kind of slipped through. And sold. Sometimes I wonder. No-one seems to care about the good stuff I do, but hovers up the crumbs from under the table.

Me too. In fact the longer I spend on an image getting it to be stunning, the better the chances are that it will look pants when I go back to it. I usually leave a couple of days between editing and rechecking for exactly this reason. I also adjust the thumbnail size to approximately Alamy size when I am looking at the 'to upload' file so I can see images that look weird at thumbnail size. 

Colin

If I don't like the quality of a recently uploaded image I'll often improve it and upload again. When online I'll ask Alamy to delete the old one (giving all details of both images - and the reason why - it has to be the same image).

If I don't like the quality of a recently uploaded image I'll often improve it and upload again. When online I'll ask Alamy to delete the old one (giving all details of both images - and the reason why - it has to be the same image).

Do that myself for older images I have reworked.

Allan

This happens to me a lot. I think I can be looking at an image for so long that my eyes and brain trick me into believing it looks stunning, then when I look at it again when keywording, I wonder how I could have thought it was good when it looks so poor. What I often do now is to process/edit, then look again a few hours later or the next day, before uploading to Alamy. That gives me a fresh look at it, and often I tweak my adjustments.

Geoff.

If anything it is the opposite way round for me.

Not me, folks -- every image I have is absolutely perfect. (Can any of you who are religious remind me of the punishment for blatant lying?)  :unsure:

I'm absolutely not religious but I recall from my childhood that, according to the religious education I received, there is no punishment as long as you don't die before you cough it up to a man in a box. However, should you die before you do that, then you really are in trouble, forever :(. I'm not sure if this applies to politicians but it definitely applies to photographers who lie about digitally altering their images.

Not me, folks -- every image I have is absolutely perfect. (Can any of you who are religious remind me of the punishment for blatant lying?)  :unsure:

Eternal damnation.

And eternally corrupted memory cards...

:D

I think that's the punishment the photography gods give out to people who keyword or caption without due care and attention to accuracy, or who plagiarise others' keywords. 

At least, I hope so ;-) 

I think that's the punishment the photography gods give out to people who keyword or caption without due care and attention to accuracy, or who plagiarise others' keywords. 

At least, I hope so ;-) 

I don't know what I've done wrong, then, because I had a card go ping for the first time ever a couple of months ago and lost some good pix of a German curry. Fortunately my German was up to getting a replacement, Media Markt were very helpful, and I got a refund for the card, so those lifetime guarantees do work after all.

At least, I hope so ;-) 

I don't know what I've done wrong, then, because I had a card go ping for the first time ever a couple of months ago and lost some good pix of a German curry. Fortunately my German was up to getting a replacement, Media Markt were very helpful, and I got a refund for the card, so those lifetime guarantees do work after all.

Back in 2004, I bought two EOS1D MkII bodies, and the best Lexar cards money could buy, one of which decided to corrupt a few weeks later. :angry:

I'd blithely (up to that point) ignored the fact that the bodies had the facility to run SD cards as well as CF cards, a built-in back up. :rolleyes: (Doh!!!!)

Got the pix back with a chunk of software combined with lots of sweat and worry, then ran out to buy several SD cards.

Never bought Lexar from that day to this though....

Corrected

Thank you, and apologies to Allan.

Thank you for admitting the error. Appologies accepted. No harm done. :)

Allan

A green for you for your honesty too.

ITMA

Archived