Crafty Personal Use Buyers - I Hate Them

Satisfied customers are great. We all need them. But this one ... crafty, to say the least.

Got a personal use sale for $ 11.80 on Friday.

Then I got another personal use sale on Saturday from the same series of images for $ 9.44.

Is someone just switching currencies to make sure they get the best deal?

I already restricted all my images to prevent PU sales.

Maybe I'll change this if Alamy replaces PU HR files downloads by prints through art.com.

Remember that if you opt out of PU, you automatically are also opted out from distributor sales. That's why only a handful of my images are restricted for PU (just those that sell over and over again at POD sites). Not keen on losing all those distributor sales.

Cheers,

Philippe

Ditto. I kept PU for the same reason.

Plus there is always the chance of catching bogus ones. I recently busted two!

One has already paid and the other one is being invoiced.

Gen

Had 2 personal use sales for about 10 dollars yesterday. Who  would want close up pictures of pear scab and mildew to hang on the wall. May be its some form of educational use.

Regen

Personal use doesn't cover educational use: it's "personal prints, cards or gifts, or reference for artists" only (Hoping the non-commerical use would prevent said artists from selling referred artworks for thousands).

As mentioned in another thread, I found the 'personal use' sale of this extremely suspicious - then it was refunded a few days later. I'd love to know the story behind that. If they'd somehow downloaded the wrong file, they's surely have noticed immediately.

Ome.jpg

Had 2 personal use sales for about 10 dollars yesterday. Who  would want close up pictures of pear scab and mildew to hang on the wall. May be its some form of educational use.

Regen

Personal use is USD 19.99 each, at least that's what I see. If your images got sold for 10 dollars (each?), then this means your personal use buyer bought so much they are eligible for volume discounts.

Wait... volume discounts for personal use? Sounds super fishy.

Christoph

Regen

Personal use is USD 19.99 each, at least that's what I see. If your images got sold for 10 dollars (each?), then this means your personal use buyer bought so much they are eligible for volume discounts.

Wait... volume discounts for personal use? Sounds super fishy.

Christoph

As you can see from my screenshot above, personal use is £9.99 in the UK, (= US$12.59). Who knows what price they're going for elsewhere.

I have just restricted all my images from personal use but am extremely annoyed that it also kills distribution sales. Distribution sales existed before PU so I don't understand why they should be affected. (I have been wondering if this is a "strategy" to reduce those restricting images)

I realise my sales numbers will drop and I will have to monitor this. Interesting thing is, my first sale since the change was the highest 3 figure sale I have seen for quite a while. I will have to see if the average sales price increases and how the overall turnover changes.

Edit. I am thinking at the moment I will probably split restrictions using pseudonyms..

I have just restricted all my images from personal use but am extremely annoyed that it also kills distribution sales. Distribution sales existed before PU so I don't understand why they should be affected. (I have been wondering if this is a "strategy" to reduce those restricting images)

I realise my sales numbers will drop and I will have to monitor this. Interesting thing is, my first sale since the change was the highest 3 figure sale I have seen for quite a while. I will have to see if the average sales price increases and how the overall turnover changes.

Edit. I am thinking at the moment I will probably split restrictions using pseudonyms..

I placed the PU restriction on my images some time ago but had only had one or two distributor sales so am not worried about losing them.

Allan

While I also neither like nor understand Alamy's PU strategy, I don't think that removing your images from distributors is a strategy to force you into agreeing to PU.

Probable reason why images get removed from distribution if you add a restriction is that it is very difficult to propagate restrictions to distributors, at least with the old and very elaborate (read "complicated") restriction system. I hope this gets resolved now with the new and easier restriction system.

Christoph

Remember that if you opt out of PU, you automatically are also opted out from distributor sales. That's why only a handful of my images are restricted for PU (just those that sell over and over again at POD sites). Not keen on losing all those distributor sales.

Cheers,

Philippe

Almost all of my images are PU-restricted and I had a sale of one a few days ago through a German distibutor so this is not universally true. 

... Interesting thing is, my first sale since the change was the highest 3 figure sale I have seen for quite a while. I will have to see if the average sales price increases and how the overall turnover changes.

Interesting indeed, as I have the same experience!

"We can’t provide you with specifics on the use of your images. Personal use can be a number of different things including wall print, greetings card, use in a personal report etc."

​This was Alamy reply to my query regarding the use of two close up pics of plant disease- apparently they can be used in a personal report but i wonder what the "etc" covers!

Why issue a worldwide licence if the use is singular i.e. a greetings card or wall print.

Regen

Archived