Six images of mine showing close-up views of Clarion Alley's murales in San Francisco were removed last week by Alamy which sent this email to me explaining why they did so:

"Hi Stefano,

We received a letter from the lawyer representing Clarion Alley, which is owned by the artist run non-profit organisation Clarion Alley Mural Project (CAMP). They were claiming copyright infringement and unfair competition.

To avoid any further claims against Alamy and yourself, we swept the site for all images of Clarion Alley that display artwork with no context, which could be seen as passing off the work of the artists involved, and have deleted them."

Interesting! It's a photo of a friend of mine, who had signed a release and agreed to me sending it to Alamy. So maybe there was an issue with quality? But it's been in the collection for several years so.... I'll be curious to hear what MS says.

Interesting! It's a photo of a friend of mine, who had signed a release and agreed to me sending it to Alamy. So maybe there was an issue with quality? But it's been in the collection for several years so.... I'll be curious to hear what MS says.

Maybe your image contained a keyword that made the system think it was something else, e.g was your friend called Clarion Alley?  Sounds like it was a mistake anyway. I doubt they would be checking quality once an image has passed QC.

Pearl 

Maybe your image contained a keyword that made the system think it was something else, e.g was your friend called Clarion Alley?  Sounds like it was a mistake anyway. I doubt they would be checking quality once an image has passed QC.

Pearl 

You're probably correct. However, QC doesn't check every image, and if a client (or clients) complained about technical quality, I guess an image might be removed. Have never had it happen myself (touch wood), but I do wonder sometimes about the occasional refund since Alamy doesn't give a reason.

I've just had one removed of a car air freshener hanging up in car window. Seems strange to me that huge companies like Network Rail can bow down to pressure yet much smaller companies can make Alamy remove RM images of a car air freshener?

I've just had one removed of a car air freshener hanging up in car window. Seems strange to me that huge companies like Network Rail can bow down to pressure yet much smaller companies can make Alamy remove RM images of a car air freshener?

perhaps belated fallout from this?

http://www.istockphoto.com/article_view.php?ID=1421

perhaps belated fallout from this?

http://www.istockphoto.com/article_view.php?ID=1421

Blimey !   ...... whatever next...no pictures of VW Beetles or Morris Minors either ?    ...another company that doesn't want my custom...

I suspe

Smaller companies masy not be so sensitive to public opinion as a major "public service" organisation such as Network Rail or other major coprorates (eg. Sports Direct here in the UK).

Secret is: do not buy Little Tree airfresheners, just as I tend to avoid National Trust properties here in the UK. They probably don't care but at least I feel better by not supporting them.

Don't you just love lawyers.

In a lot of cases they are justifying themselves to themselves.

Allan

Alamy doesn't particularly like them either which is why it is keen to avoid meeting them in court.

The company in question has a history of suing, according to Wiki.

and to add....   ....the chemical make-up of air fresheners can be harmful to some people also.

Better than buying a freshener, just keep your car interior reasonably clean and open the window more often. You'll save a few bob too.

I assume that the Morris IPR, if any, now belongs to those exemplars of copyright protection the Chinese- Nanjing Motors via their purchase of MG- but any industrial design rights must have long expired.

I assume that the Morris IPR, if any, now belongs to those exemplars of copyright protection the Chinese- Nanjing Motors via their purchase of MG- but any industrial design rights must have long expired.

Don't know. But do know that a company in Sri Lanka is still making new panels for Morris Minors, many of which end up in the UK.

That suggests, weakly,  that the design right has expired. Not that anyone would get very good publicity trying to stop Morris Minors being restored.

When I had mine BL Heritage positively encouraged copying of their old designs.

Archived