Howdy all,

Newbie Q:  What is advantage using Online Upload vs FTP when submitting photos?  Did a search on this but couldn't find answer.  I've used FTP before but not here with Alamy.  Does one make process faster?  Thanks.

This is just a personal experience when uploading images but maybe you should bear this in mind. I obviously used online upload before Alamy introduced the FTP option. When FTP was introduced I used this method which was slightly faster. Around a couple of months ago, I started to experience problems with FTP with frequent interruptions during transmissions which caused processing errors at the Alamy end. I have now reverted to Alamy online upload with no problem at all.

It maybe FTP works OK for you, but note this just in case.

Jim. :) 

Although web upload had always worked for me, I started to get a few hangs last year. So when FTP came along I got Filezilla and I haven't been back. It is lightning fast and error-free for me. It does require a bit more care to make sure you drop into the right folder.

This is just a personal experience when uploading images but maybe you should bear this in mind. I obviously used online upload before Alamy introduced the FTP option. When FTP was introduced I used this method which was slightly faster. Around a couple of months ago, I started to experience problems with FTP with frequent interruptions during transmissions which caused processing errors at the Alamy end. I have now reverted to Alamy online upload with no problem at all.

This is also my 'mileage', web works better for me and ftp I get interruptions.

seems there may be no consistent answer to the question and it probably requires individual testing. 

I prefer the we web upload myself. I have had FTP fail a few times.. And as Alamy seems to remove files from the target location immediately, I have to try and work out where it failed in FileZilla console output.. With the web upload, the file it failed on is immediately obvious.

In my opinion the only real advantage is that FTP can upload the file is something goes wrong; if you get errors or the line freeze. Until now I uploaded all with the web interface and all was fine. The last batch this evening I used filezilla after two images an error was displayed but the software seems was able to re-connect and process all the files. So, short answer in the web upload a similar error means restart all from the first file; ftp allow the process to continue. If you have 40 files and you get an error at say the 37th file with the web upload... :angry:

The good thing for the web upload is that it is more intuitive and clear in my opinion. Also when the process end you can see instantly in track your submission that the file are here waiting the QC; whit FTP you must wait some time before you can see the batch. I uploaded with FTP the last batch to see the difference in speed, in my case nothing noticeable; generally I upload 15/20 photos per batch, I'll use both but probably at this moment I prefer the web and will be which I'll use the most if not ever. It takes me away the worries to wait the batch appears in my submission so I can know that it is all fine. If some day I'll have a batch of something like 80/90 files without the time to stay near the pc, FTP will be the way to go; launch Filezilla, connect and go with the other things to do.

Edit for what can count, just to know for who is interested.

The submission appeared so it takes a little bit more than half an hour. The error seems that have not created disaster I have all the 17 file uploaded so the ftp client (Filezilla), seems was able to correct the error as it should be with FTP.

I find the web interface very slow, so I always use FTP, even for single uploads.

Yes, sometimes I have some processing errors on the other side so you have to recheck everything that has an error after Alamy approves your uploads, but still, much faster than the web.

Never had any problem at all with web upload in five years of submitting batches of up to 40 images at a time. I'm usually ready for a cuppa by the time I come to press the submit button, so I go off and leave the computer to it to do its work for 10 minutes. Web upload has the advantage that you can't inadvertently upload the wrong kind of image (e.g. the tiff instead of the jpg) and if an image is too small, web upload will reject it on the spot without risking QC rejection.

Having said all that, I have a fast fibre optic broadband connection. It may be that those with slower connections find ftp works better; I don't know.

Never had any problem at all with web upload in five years of submitting batches of up to 40 images at a time. I'm usually ready for a cuppa by the time I come to press the submit button, so I go off and leave the computer to it to do its work for 10 minutes. Web upload has the advantage that you can't inadvertently upload the wrong kind of image (e.g. the tiff instead of the jpg) and if an image is too small, web upload will reject it on the spot without risking QC rejection.

Having said all that, I have a fast fibre optic broadband connection. It may be that those with slower connections find ftp works better; I don't know.

Ditto the first paragraph.

Tried FTP once with Filezilla and had all sorts of problems and it took longer than web upload, even though I have used it for transfer to a certain Spanish agency without any problems.

My theory is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I haven't got fibre optic broadband. Although I live on the outskirts of a city, it is quite rural and the cable doesn't stretch that far!

Web upload is trouble free for me so i'll continue to use it.

John.

My theory is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I haven't got fibre optic broadband.

Web upload is trouble free for me so i'll continue to use it.

John.

+1

I use mobile broadband even at home on my desktop Mac.

Allan

I never could figure out FTP. Tried to, but couldn't "get" it. Most of the time the regular web upload works great. They just zip up fast.

A week or two ago, it was slow and took me 3 hours to upload 13 images. That was the worst experience and an anomaly.

Yet, I have had some other hang ups that finally went ok, took maybe a half hour for 10-15 images.

Last two batches, one of 30 images, went like greased lightening.

I find the web interface is perfectly fine with my 100/10 mbps cable connection. Beyond that, I don't particularly care for Filezilla. Transmit  (for Mac) has a much better interface but it costs $34, the web interface is free.

If I remember correctly Alamy introduced ftp primarily for people who wanted to upload from tablets that don't have flash. If you're uploading away from home it could be the better option.

fD

This is also my 'mileage', web works better for me and ftp I get interruptions.

seems there may be no consistent answer to the question and it probably requires individual testing. 

This is my experience as well.  I was getting one or two "failed" images on track images which I never got with the on-line upload.  The uploader may be slower, but it's consistent.

Archived