Barcelona, Spain. Shooting suggestions.

I'm after a little advice. I'm definitely a novice on Alamy, a member for a little under a year, 400+ photos on and 3 sales. I shoot with a 35mm, 23mm and 16mm APS prime (50mm-24mm in 35mm format I think)

I'm off to Barcelona, Spain between Christmas and New Year. I'd like any suggestions of the image content that would add to a shot's  success on Alamy stock.

Matt.

Take a look at All Of Alamy for all of the last 12 months. Do a search for %Barcelona which will list all the customer searches containing that word.

There's thousands of shots already uploaded of the key locations, e.g. the Sagrada Familia, but go for it, some users press the New button and you might get lucky with a sale.

But also think outside the box, are there any quirky or unusual things/people that catch your attention that might not have such a wide coverage.

Enjoy Barcelona and take the normal precautions you would take in every place you go. The city is not that dangerous at all as somebody has ridiculously depicted here (forgetting the violent and dangerous country where's from!) Anyway, for your safety remember never leave your belongings unattended (for example at coffee places) and as soon as you pay attention by walking in Rambla street and crowdy places you don't have to worry about.

Barcelona is a city with plenty of things to take pictures of: modernist architecture, medieval streets, baroque style churches, food markets, sea promenade, people. Definitely, you will not be bored during your staying over there.

Barcelona is the pickpocket capital of the world - take extreme care!

I've been to 57 countries and lived in Europe for 16 years. The only place anyone ever attempted to pick my pocket was on the Subway here in NYC. Are you getting your information from Donald Trump, Snappy? 

We could do with a sense of proportion here. There is a relatively high percentage chance of petty crime, and it's the one city where I have witnessed the aftermath of a knifing - possibly gang/drugs related, just off the Ramblas - but if you are aware and take reasonable precautions, you should be fine. I'd happily go again, loads to see and do.

Enjoy Barcelona and take the normal precautions you would take in every place you go. The city is not that dangerous at all as somebody has ridiculously depicted here (forgetting the violent and dangerous country where's from!) Anyway, for your safety remember never leave your belongings unattended (for example at coffee places) and as soon as you pay attention by walking in Rambla street and crowdy places you don't have to worry about.

Barcelona is a city with plenty of things to take pictures of: modernist architecture, medieval streets, baroque style churches, food markets, sea promenade, people. Definitely, you will not be bored during your staying over there.

Some personal perspective, valuable :-)

Instead of concentrating on pickpockets, perhaps some (one?) should look at some actual 2015 statistics . . . like ummm . . . the 2015 Crime Index by City . . . or even the 2015 Safety Index by City. Barcelona (crime index) comes in at . . . 233rd . . . less crime than even sleepy old Perth, Western Australia . . .

Barcelona is on the bucket-list!!

dd

I'm thinking that much of this is comparative. Having travelled to Tanzania and Kenya travelling on local transport and also walking the streets of Manchester, UK or Havana, Cuba (felt remarkably safe there) or even the back streets of Ercolano near Naples, Italy (where I did genuinely worry, hiding my camera and rapidly walking in the opposite direction to the 40 or so people surrounding the one police car in a back alley!) I guess walking around Barcelona would feel relatively normal compared to someone who had only ever been to their local prosperous small town.

I really appreciate the information that Barcelona is a bit edgy, it's really is worth knowing in advance. I'd really like some shooting advice though. Bryan's advice is really valuable, as a newby I wasn't aware of the ability to search the search terms as he describes. Anything else that people could suggest to improve sales by targeting what I shoot?

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Instead of concentrating on pickpockets, perhaps some (one?) should look at some actual 2015 statistics . . . like ummm . . . the 2015 Crime Index by City . . . or even the 2015 Safety Index by City. Barcelona (crime index) comes in at . . . 233rd . . . less crime than even sleepy old Perth, Western Australia . . .

dd

I do have to quibble with a methodology that has Milton Keynes as the second most dangerous city in Europe behind only the 'Ndragheta stronghold of Bari.

Not been for many years, a great place to visit.

We found it strange that the prostitutes were plying their trade outside the cop shop on the Las Ramblas.

If you do see crime, be careful of the new Spanish "Gag laws" about shooting (with a camera or phone) Police officers whilst on duty.

My tip.

Take the tourist buses around the city, it may be cheesy, but they cover a big area quickly and you can  hop on off.

We could do with a sense of proportion here. There is a relatively high percentage chance of petty crime, and it's the one city where I have witnessed the aftermath of a knifing - possibly gang/drugs related, just off the Ramblas - but if you are aware and take reasonable precautions, you should be fine. I'd happily go again, loads to see and do.

I love Barca but it does have it's real problems with petty crime, especially pickpocketing in some areas. My other half had her purse stolen from inside of a bag in the rush hour on the Metro when we were last there in 2013 and one of my pockets was being targeted at the same time. The loss was an old purse and two Euros but we were just more statistics in the forgotten attitude that pervades. Ironically the first thing the b and b told us was about these problems. If you can, stay away from (over)crowded area if you have obvious expensive equipment and use precautions over wallets/money.

Saying that it's a brilliant city and I would happily walk around during the night and feel quite safe.....

I took my camera but I try not to take pictures when I am holiday (busman's holiday) - would rather spend the time relaxing. Stayed near the Placa d'Espanya where there's a great water show (fountains) up towards the Palace, in the evenings but maybe not this time of year. Next time I go back I will do a commercial stock shoot, the place and the people (models) are brilliant.

Enjoy.

Although I understand the sentiment, I have to admit that I feel sad when I hear talented photographers say that they prefer not to take pictures when on holiday. I've never been to Barcelona, but it sounds like a wonderful place -- pickpockets notwithstanding -- to explore with a camera.

Just sayin'...

Take a stereotypical robbers costume, (mask, a bag with the word "swag" on it), take a couple of photos of yourself or friend in said costume in front of the Sagrada Familia or on the Rambles.

Illustrating some of the problems mentioned above. With MR.

Perhaps not an idea for everyone. Personally I'd prefer not to be involved in perpetuating negative stereotypes. 

Take a stereotypical robbers costume, (mask, a bag with the word "swag" on it), take a couple of photos of yourself or friend in said costume in front of the Sagrada Familia or on the Rambles.

... someone dressed in a Zorro costume might work as well, but I'm probably one of the few people here who remembers Zorro.  B)

... someone dressed in a Zorro costume might work as well, but I'm probably one of the few people here who remembers Zorro.  B)

Yes I remember Zorro and The Lone Ranger and William Tell and Robin hood. Sounds as if I spent all my youth in front of the telly. :rolleyes:

Allan

Remember Zorro? Of course. Neither of us were around for the original film The Mark of Zorro, with Douglas Fairbanks (senior not junior), John. Tyrone Power was very good in the 1940 remake. There was a great climactic sword fight between Power and Basil Rathbone. Actors learned fencing in those days. 

But . . . none of this has to do with Barcelona, since the Zorro story takes place in California.  :ph34r:

Remember Zorro? Of course. Neither of us were around for the original film The Mark of Zorro, with Douglas Fairbanks (senior not junior), John. Tyrone Power was very good in the 1940 remake. There was a great climactic sword fight between Power and Basil Rathbone. Actors learned fencing in those days. 

But . . . none of this has to do with Barcelona, since the Zorro story takes place in California.  :ph34r:

True, but California isn't actually a place, it's a state of mind. Zorro would look good just about anywhere.

dd

I do have to quibble with a methodology that has Milton Keynes as the second most dangerous city in Europe behind only the 'Ndragheta stronghold of Bari.

I'm not taking any chances . . . with much regret  I've removed Milton Keynes from my bucket list.

dd

There is some amazing architecture in Barcelona. Most of it in the centre has been photographed to death (though that's not a reason to ignore it) but there are also some interesting buildings out in the suburbs.

My last Barcelona sale was of a house by a well-known architect but out in a little-visited part of town. Do a bit of research, but try not to photograph anything already covered by PjrTravel!

Edit; New Year's Eve in Barcelona can be fun.

Archived