OS X El Capitan 10.11

I just updated to Yosemite 10.10.5 a few days ago but iCal was crashing on launch and there seemed to be some other oddities. So I upgraded to El Capitan 10.11 tonight. Installation took a long time.  iCal seems to be working again. Internet seemed to be especially slow at first but now seems to be picking up as I use it.

fD

I'm waiting for confirmation C1 Pro, Photo Mechanic, Photoshop etc work ok and, for Wacom to issue an update for the Cintiq 27..... and even then, I'll wait a week or so to read up on any problems. Yosemite had problems with wifi from day one and while it's been improved, I still have issues with it now! 

So far I'm not liking the new Apple Mail. When you swipe the mouse it highlights "mark unread" on the left and "trash" on the right. Unfortunately it seems to favor "mark unread" and sometimes appears in a message other than the one I've selected. Wish I could figure out how to turn it off.

I've upgraded - more like an update than an upgrade. It's mostly under the hood as they say and the main claim is that it speeds things up which is why I decided to do it.

The only annoyance I've seen is the known problem with the scrubby zoom in Photoshop (CS6 in my case) which Adobe are working on with Apple. The scrubby zoom is choppy and deosn't work properly. It's not a killer - if it was I wouldn't have upgraded as I was aware of it beforehand.

Lightroom graphics seem to be faster though. Raw conversions are about 5% faster than in Yosemite from a test I devised a while back - not worth upgrading for in itself.

Everything seems to have carried over smoothly apart from Apple Mail. I had a few mail accounts set up and only one carried over so I had to redo that. I'm not seeing the swiping issue that fotoDogue reports mainly because I'm not much of a swiper in general. My Office 2008 appears to be working as normal, not that I use it much - I know there have been serious issues with Offics 2016.

Compared to the problems with Win10, this seems ultrasmooth. 

Put it my my 2011 macbook pro this morning and all's well. Just under 2 hours from start to finish.

The only slight niggle was that Adobe creative cloud was blank but a restart sorted it out. Scrubby zoom is fine.

Andy

Actually everything seems to be working quicker.

I've upgraded - more like an update than an upgrade. It's mostly under the hood as they say and the main claim is that it speeds things up which is why I decided to do it.

The only annoyance I've seen is the known problem with the scrubby zoom in Photoshop (CS6 in my case) which Adobe are working on with Apple. The scrubby zoom is choppy and deosn't work properly. It's not a killer - if it was I wouldn't have upgraded as I was aware of it beforehand.

Lightroom graphics seem to be faster though. Raw conversions are about 5% faster than in Yosemite from a test I devised a while back - not worth upgrading for in itself.

Everything seems to have carried over smoothly apart from Apple Mail. I had a few mail accounts set up and only one carried over so I had to redo that. I'm not seeing the swiping issue that fotoDogue reports mainly because I'm not much of a swiper in general. My Office 2008 appears to be working as normal, not that I use it much - I know there have been serious issues with Offics 2016.

Compared to the problems with Win10, this seems ultrasmooth. 

Sounds promising, just need to wait for C1 Pro and Wacom to provide updates then.

I hate to say this but the scrubby zoom problem is not insignificant for my workflow. I use this all the time when looking at my images in Photoshop - checking for spots and sharpness - and it has slowed me down a bit.

I don't know how universal it is but Chris Cox (senior Adobe guy) posted last night on one of the Adobe forums  that they have been working with Apple and have pinpointed what is causing it. How soon they will fix it I don't know. It seems to be something to do with Apple rather than Adobe but I'm hoping that it won't involve a Photoshop update as I'm still on CS6 rather than CC.  As they are no longer providing updates for CS6, this could mean me finally succumbing and subscribing or going back to Yosemite. That would involve a clean reinstall as I didn't back up before upgrading - not a big deal for me really but in hindsight it would have been sensible to have made a Time Machine backup before upgrading.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is scrubby zoom?

It's continuous zooming in or out by dragging the mouse - right to zoom in or left to zoom out ( It is not continuous zooming by holding down the mouse button). It is  extremely useful for examining images at various mags very quickly (e.g. searching for dust spots or checking sharpness). Once you get used to using it, it becomes habitual and it is hard to get used to not having it. I have found a workaround which involves holding down the alt key and using gestures with a magic mouse but it is not quite as controllable as moving the mouse. 

Adobe have officially acknowledged the problem and are working on a fix with Apple. 

Adobe have released a fix in the form of a Photoshop plugin for the scrubby zoom problem (and a few other minor problems). Although it says PSCC2015, it works for me with CS6

See the following description of known problems and available solution https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-el-capitan-mac-os-10-11.html

Adobe have released a fix in the form of a Photoshop plugin for the scrubby zoom problem (and a few other minor problems). Although it says PSCC2015, it works for me with CS6

See the following description of known problems and available solution https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-el-capitan-mac-os-10-11.html

Cheers. I think I will wait a while longer until they have a full fix. Still waiting on Wacom anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I have discovered that the Pocketwizard Utility app for my wireless remotes does not work under El Capitan. Not the end of the world for now. Just means that I will not be able to update firmware until it is fixed. Another feature of the utility that I really like is that you can accurately see the battery levels in your remotes in the utility. If in doubt change the batteries until this is sorted out.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having a numer of issues since upgrading to El Capitan, particularly with USB devices. I upgraded VueScan but so far it isn't working with my Nikon Coolscan. When I plugged in my Nikon D300 with a USB cable Adobe Bridge CS6 didn't recognize it. Fortunately I was able to transfer photos using Lightroom 5. Others have reported issues with Time Machine.

If you haven't upgraded to El Capitan v10.11.x I'd suggest waiting till they work out the bugs.

fD

Archived