OS X El Capitan 10.11

Just upgrade to El Capitan now that Cintiq & C1 are both working well on it and it seems to be a lot better (more responsive) than Yosemite, especially WiFi internet connections.

Thanks for the update Duncan.

Allan

I'm having a numer of issues since upgrading to El Capitan, particularly with USB devices. I upgraded VueScan but so far it isn't working with my Nikon Coolscan. When I plugged in my Nikon D300 with a USB cable Adobe Bridge CS6 didn't recognize it. Fortunately I was able to transfer photos using Lightroom 5. Others have reported issues with Time Machine.

If you haven't upgraded to El Capitan v10.11.x I'd suggest waiting till they work out the bugs.

fD

Bridge is broken in El Capitan in relation to Adobe Image Capture (or whatever that little program was called). I have been using it for years to get videos from my iPhone and it no longer recognises a device. I use a card reader for my camera images so not affected there. I tried out Apple's Photos for downloading the iPhone images and that works but it takes a bit of learning which is not what I want to spend my time doing at the moment as I have no intention of using it for my photography. I'll probably use LR from now on.

Just upgrade to El Capitan now that Cintiq & C1 are both working well on it and it seems to be a lot better (more responsive) than Yosemite, especially WiFi internet connections.

Thanks for the update Duncan.

Allan

You're welcome. It feels like a new laptop after the upgrade.... after the previous two I was a little cautious, email and wifi problems were terrible on the last two but everything works great. I also came out with an extra 30-40gb of free space.... bonus!

Another thing I've noticed, Macbook Pros with the dual graphics cards are not running as hot and the fans are kicking in far less. I've got an app that tracks core temperature at the top of the screen  and it seems that it's running at about 10C less when under normal stress. Before, it was very easy to trigger the fans to come on as core temps pushed over 55- 60c. So, it would seem they have worked on the efficiency of the code a lot which it turn, reduces the stress on the machine

Bridge is broken in El Capitan in relation to Adobe Image Capture (or whatever that little program was called). I have been using it for years to get videos from my iPhone and it no longer recognises a device. I use a card reader for my camera images so not affected there. I tried out Apple's Photos for downloading the iPhone images and that works but it takes a bit of learning which is not what I want to spend my time doing at the moment as I have no intention of using it for my photography. I'll probably use LR from now on.

I dug out my CompactFlash Card reader and that does work with Bridge Photo Downloader. It also works when an SD Card is inserted into the built in SD Slot on my Mac Mini. So the problem has something to do with using a USB cable plugged directly into the computer. All of the comments I've come across are from Nikon users. I have no idea if this applies to Canon or other manufacturers.

I've always used Lightroom for my iPhone photos and, so far, I haven't experienced any problems with that.

Archived