What to do with old software programs?

What to do with old software programs?I

I'm on a mission to declutter everything in my life.W

hat to do with all of these old versions of computer software that I bought the CDs/DVDs for. These won't run on my current system or even computers from 10 years ago!

Photoshop CS,CS2,Lightroom 2 or 3...Various plug ins like XAOS,Apple iWork, that are no longer in biz/ Destroy and throw away? I know I can't sell them;especially Photoshop.

What do you do with them? I have a large box full!

L

Jane regularly goes into declutter mode which can be pretty extreme. Like many a hoarding male I resort to rescuing and hiding stuff. Trouble is, my memory is less than perfect so the contents of the loft and cellar are getting more and more mysterious. But Linda is an apartment dweller so perhaps storage is more of an issue. I still have a few thousand hanging files and metal bars for archiving transparencies. I don't think we are ever going back there but I am prepared! Redundant software probably could go, especially as any kind of support would be long gone. But we have huge hard drives, Shelf space might be more an issue for some. 

If I ever give up house redecorating and gardening, I will have no excuse for keeping all those old clothes with a paint splatter or wee hole in the sleeve.

I'm also a hoarder but was recently persuaded by the Mrs that it really was necessary to throw out two old computers. I hate the idea of trashing working equipment but was pleased to discover a local company that will take used IT kit ( computers, modems, printers whatever), formally wipe the discs and give a certificate to that effect, and either find new users or break down the computers into component parts for recycling. It's a free service and  they appear to be taking on young lads who cannot find other work.

For anyone else living in the NE with IT kit to dispose of, you might try Acorn Community Reuse & Recycling - I have no connection with this business other than as a satisfied customer.

some old software would be a godsend to old recycled hardware but there is the small matter of legal licences (or licenses in some circles). The real problem for getting extended use out of old hardware is the plugs. I've got several devices in the loft including a brilliant little LC475. But good luck getting it hooked up to a modem or printer or.....  I was devoted to my 7300 and I could have had a couple more years out of it but necessary expansion cards to provide connection were going to be eye-watering. So I put a drill bit through the hard drive a few times and left it in the recycling bin. When I was visiting my sister in Ottawa I was shocked to find that you had to PAY a shop to take some old gear off our hands. They were going to recycle some of the bits but we still had to hand over something like 25 bucks.

Old software..... hang on to it just in case.....what's trash now, could be a collectors item in the future

Some people like the old IT technology... http://www.old-computers.com/news/default.asp

For used pooter equipment, tablets & phones etc., see if there is a charity that could put your used stuff to good use to those who don't have much.

There is chairty based near me that refurbishes old computers and the like, then provides them to schools in parts of Africa.

It's either that, or to the recycling dump for onward transportation to China to be churned out in to more gizmos !

It is legal to transfer a Photoshop license to somebody else as long as you transfer all related licenses (upgrades from the initial license). I don't know if an older Photoshop license would be worth anything now though - probably not. 

In relation to getting rid of the physical media holding old software and data, I have boxes of old CDs and DVDS with images and data files which I mean to put physically under the hammer (protected by something to gather the shards). I do this in the garden - not recommended for apartment dwellers. Hard drives are much more difficult to destroy. Hammering works eventually but it is painful (for me - bad shoulder). A quick search throws up several methods on wikihow.com including shooting them - I don't have a gun so that's out for sure. 

But worst of all are floppy disks. I have hundreds of them dating back to the early 90s, including an early version of Microsoft Office for Mac. They have been sitting on death row for years now awaiting execution.  Hammering is not a good option - they are too floppy. Wikihow suggests a strong magnet but there is no way of knowing if they have been erased. They will probably outlive me  :) .

You never know when you might need an old CD, maybe  to hand on to a needy recipient. The disc doesn't take up much space.

Microwaving CDs is interesting and not dangerous, just alarming. Smells a bit too.

We still have one machine with a 5½" drive so they're worth keeping. My latest hand-me down PC doesn't even have a 3½" so their days are numbered.

But worst of all are floppy disks. I have hundreds of them dating back to the early 90s, including an early version of Microsoft Office for Mac. They have been sitting on death row for years now awaiting execution.  Hammering is not a good option - they are too floppy. Wikihow suggests a strong magnet but there is no way of knowing if they have been erased. They will probably outlive me  :) .

I pull part the plastic casing and then cut, crumple or tear the disc inside. 

Microwaving CDs is interesting and not dangerous, just alarming. Smells a bit too.

Not dangerous if you are wearing a gas mask - the fumes are toxic by all accounts. 

The gasmask went on ebay just before they found asbestos in some of them.

Not dangerous if you are wearing a gas mask - the fumes are toxic by all accounts. 

The gasmask went on ebay just before they found asbestos in some of them.

You didn't sell the spacesuit as well though I hope.

I have done that once for one. But I need a WMD to deal with several hundred. 

I have done that once for one. But I need a WMD to deal with several hundred. 

It's never been a hardship. I find it strangely satisfying and meditative. 

I recently threw away everything that does not work on my current computer.  I did buy CS6 before joining CC, and am keeping that.  I couldn't see any sense in the clutter and confusion.

While two of us live in a 4 bedroom home, I still have just a few spaces allotted for photography and computer equipment. When that gets overfull, I clean and discard.  Or sell...in the case of photography stuff.  I sold my D70, D300, and D7000, and my Alien Bee studio lights, all in the last few years.  Also a 12-24 and my older 80-400 lens, and my 18-200.

Recently Bob screamed and brought me to my senses while I was dragging him to the curb by the ankle for Big Trash day.

Last summer, I took on the garage and filled at least 10 huge rubbish bins.  Then came the closets...My daughter told me of a needy mother, working two jobs and recently escaped from an abusive relationship in Wichita, who is now outfitted with my clothes, which were too big after my dropping 12 pounds. Bless her.

TOSS IT!!!

Betty

This thread confirms my proposition that this is a woman/man thing for the most part. In my family, neither of my parents could bear to throw anything away. I learned to travel very light, but that's a different matter

You could be right. My hubby is a pack rat. He'll go to a garage sale, buy some useless item for a dollar, stash it in the garage to never be used or even looked at again. Thus my 10 bins to throw away, after he went to work, of course. He never noticed the stuff was gone. He simply maveled that he was able to reach his work bench again, and find his tools.

I'm not a hoarder. I like to throw things out,just takes time to do a big project like that.

I use to love to shop a lot and I'm lucky to get a lot of gifts from friends and clients. Not software though. :-)

My condo is big(1200 sf),I just have gone into minimalist mode and it's not just a few software CD's but more than 100! My MAC will not run any of these old programs and I have no desire to ever buy an old Mac.

I may relocate this year or next and really want pear down as I'm not going to hire a moving truck if I move to another state. I'd rather sell off everything and just ship several boxes by UPS and buy everything new.

Recently I sold off a few hundred books,record albums,music CDs, and a closet full of  clothes I never or rarely wore and tons of knick knacks,unused kitchen appliances,designer plates...

I don't' like to collect anything.It's just more stuff I'd have to clean or babysit for.

L

Let me ask you this, Linda: do any of these programs give you joy?  :)

Ed, good to see you've got your finger on the pulse of the New York Times best-seller list :-)

dd

Archived