On schedule to reach my target of 5000 pics from my back catalogue on sale by Christmas - it makes me wonder whether there is a tipping point of some kind, since my sales seem to have become very much more regular since passing the 4000 mark some months ago - as others have pointed out, this is largely a numbers game. Or maybe I will now sell nothing for months . . .

Alex

"for someone putting all their eggs into the Alamy basket, researching the market, producing contemporary imagery expressing relevant concepts and emotions, the tipping point ought to be around 200."

I'm sure that's so for the truly dedicated, Robert, but I rarely shoot specifically for stock

Alex

"for someone putting all their eggs into the Alamy basket, researching the market, producing contemporary imagery expressing relevant concepts and emotions, the tipping point ought to be around 200."

I'm sure that's so for the truly dedicated, Robert, but I rarely shoot specifically for stock

Alex

With the exception of some conceptual still life with CGI elements, mainly for a particular RF collection, neither do I.  Mainly I now work on personal projects which I am looking to monetize in a number of ways.  However, the evidence suggests that things are nothing like as bleak as is often represented on threads like this for those who want to make a career out of licensing self-assigned work.  Done properly it can be one of the most interesting and rewarding careers open to creative photographers and other visual artists.  Or so says I.

That is where I am curently heading with some reportage projects; some long-term, some short as a day or two - at least initially. It is the monetisation that is challenging me at the moment. I am trying work out who uses photo stoies these days; I can add words as I also write.

I found that I started getting regular monthly sales when I hit 1000 images, but that was back in 2008-9 when the Alamy collection was a fraction of what it is now. My collection is closing in on 5000, and 2014 will be my best year ever for total number of sales, but I'm not expecting any further tipping points in this highly competitive market. If I can continue to keep the boat from tipping over, I'll be happy. B)

Might frequency of new submissions be part of the formula?  My sales plummeted about 50% in number and 75% in $ when I submitted very little for a couple of years. (This was after the recession effect.) Have been submitting again for about a year and a half, and have been recovering nicely.

Might frequency of new submissions be part of the formula?  My sales plummeted about 50% in number and 75% in $ when I submitted very little for a couple of years. (This was after the recession effect.) Have been submitting again for about a year and a half, and have been recovering nicely.

I am hoping that is what I will see as I did much the same for 5 years or so up to last year. I saw a small burst in April, May, June and then it went quiet until this week. I have now had more sales than last year (Still only tiny though).

Yes, I had a tipping point.  I fell over after 2012, when I had about 7000 images.  Progressive yearly increase in sales every year before that - and downward spiral after that.  I add 1000 images every year.  Reasons escape me.

For me it was 1000 images but that was years ago and I think the number may be higher now and it also depends on your collection.  I think diversity can be key!  

... and dependable repeat sellers, in my case anyway. I have a quite a number of them that started leasing almost immediately and keep on selling (touch wood).

For me it was 1000 images but that was years ago and I think the number may be higher now and it also depends on your collection.  I think diversity can be key!

... and dependable repeat sellers, in my case anyway. I have a quite a number of them that started leasing almost immediately and keep on selling (touch wood).

I agree John. I have a few but one problem is that I proabably could not have predicted that they would be such repeat sellers, so it helps to have a diverse collection to cover as many bases as possible.

I agree John. I have a few but one problem is that I proabably could not have predicted that they would be such repeat sellers, so it helps to have a diverse collection to cover as many bases as possible.

For sure, diversity rules. Having so many repeat sellers is actually something of a double-edged sword (no complaints, though) because I know the party can't last forever.

I had a similar tipping point at the same time. I do have some theories as to the reasons, but this is probably not the best place to discuss them.

If not here, where?

There's a meeting down at the docks. Knock three times and ask for Big Jim...

Archived