Alamy images now gone from Google.

Ten days ago I was seeing my (Alamy) images quite high in Google Image Searches for stock photo + keyword. Now they're nowhere. Not just lower in a search, but nowhere.

Only when I include the word Alamy, a thumbnail shows up. That will get me to my pseudo's portfolio, not to the image that was searched.

Can other contributors who have searched for their images using Google Image Search, try the same searches again?

It could be just me of course. (Insert Woody Allen quote here.)

wim

"Try stock photo London Christmas in Google Image.

wim"

Just tried that and loads of images appeared.

Allan

Alamy images?

wim

edit: was seeing double

Checked first lot, No Alamy images.

Allan

I haven't tried this before, but when I try "stock photo dodder," some Alamy photos do show up in the first row (a certain microstock agency's show up first, though). My own dodder photos (at Alamy) are nowhere to be seen, but that's another matter.

Just tried it, the first Alamy image is on page 2 and is from 2011 of a fairly common subject!
All the sponsored links which came up first were competitor, as well as the following normal links.

Edit: The results above were for a normal Google search ie 'Stock photo subject name'. When I tried with Google image search I gave up looking after scrolling dozens of images from other agencies. Very disappointing.

I'm beginning to wonder about the accuracy at all with google images.

My search:  grand bend ontario lighthouse alamy

I got 3 pics of the lighthouse in Grand Bend and the rest are basically zillions of bing wallpapers with almost nothing to do with lighthouses, never the less Grand Bend, Ontario. And done of my shots showed up and I have quite a few of Grand Bend. And of the 3 that showed up, none were from Alamy, as a matter of fact, none from any stock agency.

So who knows what's with google images.

Jill

Ten days ago my (Alamy) images were quite high in Google Image Searches for stock photo + keyword.

No Alamy or my name as keywords. Just Amsterdam Christmas market. I thought that was proof the new drive by Alamy to get higher in the Google Image Search results was working. It was an image I had just uploaded and within days it was high up on Google.

Until I tried the same today and my image was not in the results any more. Not just lower, but gone. I think I understand why, but it would be very unwise to publish that here in an open forum. Now I can be wrong and everybody else is still on row 2 or 3 without Alamy or your own name as keywords. Then it's just me or even just that one image, not Alamy.

My guess is that one or two months ago there would have been a better result for stock photo London Christmas for Alamy images. Only: I don't know because I have never looked for it.

Now the result is quite bad. 4or 5 images out of approx 525 (some appear twice).

Update:

after looking at page after page for stock photo + keyword(s), most of them without any image from Alamy, I think there must have been a significant change over the last days. Surely it cannot have been this bad some weeks ago?

-No I don't think the sky is falling down, still it could all be a coincidence, or it could just be me.

So if you have seen your own image in a Google Image Search without the words Alamy or you own name or your pseudo name lately, could you have another look these days and please report that I'm seeing ghosts?

wim

edit: that Christmas image of mine was just one image. The others were for other keywords, but I'm not sure wether or not I had included Alamy.

Wim; using your search requirements, I have just done a very quick check on one image of mine.  It appeared on row one of page one - but only because I placed it in a forum thread here!

I would have thought that the answer is pretty straightforward?  Alamy have only very recently changed the 'zoom' page on which the layout and content has changed and the images are now smaller.  Google knows the (old) pages are (effectively) no longer there, so will not display results for them.  Give it a few days and Google will have re-spidered everything and the results will come flooding back.

I've never been able to find Alamy pics anywhere near the top of Google searches, and had assumed it was deliberate policy to ban bots or something.

Anyway, I have the only photo on Alamy of a particular less-known athlete. I Googled her name; her name and stock photo; her name and stock image; her name and my name; her name and Alamy; and my photo didn't come up under any of these searches.

I searched a number of topics and a few images from FAA popped up on the first page and a surprising number of images popped up from my new blog on Wordpress.  Nothing came up for me from Alamy though (not my images nor anyone elses' images on Alamy).  Not surprising since I'm at the bottom of the search barrel here despite an improving CTR and some sales this year.  Either Alamy hasn't done a rerank since February or I'm being left out of it.

This URL brings up links to 8 of my Alamy images out of the 10 images presented on page 1 of a Google Web search. Searching Google Images I have the first 9 images and a total of 26 of the first 37. If the URL does not work for you the search is, Rouge Park Alamy. I am using Safari on a Mac.

At Alamy "Rouge Park" appears both as a keyword and also in my caption. Complete keywording and captioning should help when Google changes their SEO.

This URL brings up links to 8 of my Alamy images out of the 10 images presented on page 1 of a Google Web search. Searching Google Images I have the first 9 images and a total of 26 of the first 37. If the URL does not work for you the search is, Rouge Park Alamy. I am using Safari on a Mac.

At Alamy "Rouge Park" appears both as a keyword and also in my caption. Complete keywording and captioning should help when Google changes their SEO.

Yes but you have included the word Alamy in the google search. The point Wim was making was that the images don't show without including 'alamy' in the search - that is as though you were looking for an image NOT solely an Alamy image

Yes but you have included the word Alamy in the google search. The point Wim was making was that the images don't show without including 'alamy' in the search - that is as though you were looking for an image NOT solely an Alamy image

And may I point at another significant thing: these are all images Google has cached. I have been able to find some more like that. They are all the bigger zoom images. Not the smaller ones that are in use at the moment. I still hope the processing is a mishap and that over the weekend we will go back to the old size and format of the images.

These bigger images have the copyright and some other info attached as well. Alamy's name and yours. The smaller ones that we saw in London Christmas were all completely stripped of that (oops).

The big ones did link back to the proper current zoom page though. Most important for clients. The small thumbs that did show up in some of my searches just linked to a pseudo's portfolio.

wim

For Stock Photo Amsterdam Christmas Market, Alamy is back on row 1. Not with one of mine, with this one: CBE1NH.

There's another Alamy image lower on the page, but that doesn't show a Christmas market.:

amsterdam-netherlands-buddha-palm-seeds-

Who would have thought Google had a sense of humor?

;-)

As before when Alamy images popped up: these are the older, large sized, zoom images that Google has cached.

With all their info in place. Newer smaller zoom images seem to have everything stripped, including copyright information.

Another thing I noticed over the weekend, was that the zoom image sometimes refused to appear on the zoom page. As if there was some script going into a loop: the loading wheel kept turning.

Let's hope it just means that there's work going on.

wim

edit: typo

Archived