Happy Birthday Edo?

Had to make it a question for the pedantics :) Now, I might be a day out here (international date line and all that), but I'm close . . .

All the best wishes from me and my mob here, keep safe and keep well.

dd

I'm very happy to add very Happy Birthday Edo wishes, dd, but am wondering how you know today (or so) is the day.

- Ann

I could tell you Ann, but then I'd have to kill you . . .  :ph34r:  . . . and I'd miss you . . .

dd

I'm genuinely touched that you all should remember and mention it.  :wub:

The actually day is tomorrow the 10th. And I shall be spending most of it having a nuclear stress test at my new doctor's office. I'm fine by the way; it's routine every few years. 

It is certainly nice to have friends way out in Western Australia, here in NY a short way from me, and out past the western border of our very best neighbors, the Canadians. 

Thank you all so much.  :)

My doctor recommended that I have a nuclear stress test earlier this year. It takes the better part of a day (at least mine did), but it isn't that bad either. Fortunately, mine showed that everything is 100% OK with my ticker. An earlier non-nuclear stress test had produced a false positive, which is quite common apparently. Nothing like being radioactive on your birthday. Buona fortuna!

Yeah, I've had two of these tests in the past 12 years. It's just a bore. I'll have my Kindle with me. 

Oh, look at the California cake Lisa baked for me! And yes, Lynn, Brunello di Montalcino someone said at a tasting. Thanks all.

誕生日おめでとう、江戸。

よいもの Mike

. . . online translation of "Mike" in Japanese comes out as "microphone" . . .

dd

LOL I do know the last symbols are Edo 江戸 except for that little round thing--a full stop? But my nickname was born in Rome, invented by a woman who could not end a word without a vowel, so Ed became Edo. 

Domo arrigato go zi masu. Beg my forgiveness of the Japanese people. I collect greetings and thanks yous. 

誕生日おめでとう、江戸。

よいもの Mike

. . . online translation of "Mike" in Japanese comes out as "microphone" . . .

dd

Maiku - マイク different character set for transliterated foreign words. Just don't ask, totally confusing language. Even locals can't read kanji (chinese character) names all of the time, wihout hiragana (the character set you used) sounds. I've seen 5 minute discussions at raffles trying to work out how to read he winner's name... and failing!

LOL I do know the last symbols are Edo 江戸 except for that little round thing--a full stop? But my nickname was born in Rome, invented by a woman who could not end a word without a vowel, so Ed became Edo.

Domo arrigato go zi masu. Beg my forgiveness of the Japanese people. I collect greetings and thanks yous.

Saw you use 江戸 before. I think the Rome explanation sounds like much more fun!

。 is a Japanese fullstop.

Happy birthday, Edo, from your friend from the old SIF forum. I will add a 誕生日おめでとう (tanjobi omedeto, happy birthday - or more literally, birthday congratulations) to what Mike said. 

I hope you enjoy the day, nuclear testing aside. 

At the risk of pre-empting Mike, 江戸 (Edo) is the old name for Tokyo, and the 江戸時代 (Edo period) is an important part of Japanese history, when the country was mostly closed to the outside world, and the samurai were prominent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edo_period

Considering that the samurai were known for their focus and skill, I've long thought it an appropriate name for you, Edo ;-) 

Considering that the samurai were known for their focus and skill . . .

. . . and Khmer scarves . . .

. . . I've long thought it an appropriate name for you, Edo ;-) 

ditto.

dd

Archived