Order of keywords

This question is likely to have been asked before.  In that case, can you please direct me to the relevant thread.

When you click the thumbnail of an image, it will open a Preview page with all the details of keywords, pricing, etc.

I have just noticed (I haven't done keywording for a while, hence the question) that the keywords are now shown in alphabetical order. Does this mean that 'essential', 'main' and 'comprehensive' keywords are now defunct and irrelevant which you still have to deal with when keywording? 

Sung

I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure they operate in the same way as before, and it's only the display in the zoom window that orders them.

Alan

That's my understanding as well. It would be helpful if Alamy could confirm this.

Alamy did confirm this a while ago.  It has been discussed on another thread.

Pearl

I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure they operate in the same way as before, and it's only the display in the zoom window that orders them.

Alan

That's my understanding as well. It would be helpful if Alamy could confirm this.

Alamy did confirm this a while ago.  It has been discussed on another thread.

Pearl

Thanks. Guess I missed that thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

With the above mentioned automatic alphabetical order of keywords by Alamy, how do you keep certain keywords together?

For example, let's say, the location of a image is Weston super Mare.  This one keyword will become 3 keywords when is sorted automatically and will be all over the place.  When a picture buyer looks at the keywords under the preview image, he/she won't see Weston super Mare, which I don't think is very good.

The only way I can think of is to put weston-super-mare instead.  Can you have think of any other way?

With the above mentioned automatic alphabetical order of keywords by Alamy, how do you keep certain keywords together?

For example, let's say, the location of a image is Weston super Mare.  This one keyword will become 3 keywords when is sorted automatically and will be all over the place.  When a picture buyer looks at the keywords under the preview image, he/she won't see Weston super Mare, which I don't think is very good.

The only way I can think of is to put weston-super-mare instead.  Can you have think of any other way?

This has been debated a lot. For what you want, quotation marks work perfectly: "Weston super Mare" will show as: coast, sea, Weston super Mare, Zomerset (Somerset with a Dutch misspelling)

wim

Blow me, I've just checked one of mine and it's quite right. Quotes do work, at least in the preview page.

BTW the order isn't changed in actual searches, it's just what appears in a preview.

It may work for Google searches.

But how to test that?

wim

It seems that the quotation marks are the way to go (from the photogs' point of view).  I just thought about it from the buyers' point which prompted me to ask the question.

Thanks everyone.

Blow me, I've just checked one of mine and it's quite right. Quotes do work, at least in the preview page.

BTW the order isn't changed in actual searches, it's just what appears in a preview.

But how to test that?

wim

I just tested it using my test set of images and can confirm the following.

• If contributors put quotes around their keywords it still makes NO DIFFERENCE to the image search results within Alamy.

HOWEVER

• If contributors put quotes around their keyword it can make A BIG DIFFERENCE to the image search results obtained via Google. It appears that Alamy's "alphabetic ordered" list of keywords is what Google indexes to produce search results.

Try searching for "Abhz Bbhz" (with quotes) in Google. Only two of my eight test images come up, and they are the ones where I put "Abhz Bbhz" in quotes in my keywords. The images which had the same two keywords in that order but without quotes are excluded.

So there is now a benefit to contributors putting quotes around selected keywords of their images.

If you're wondering what "Abhz Bbhz" and eight test images are, then look at here in the Alamy forum

But how to test that?

wim

• If contributors put quotes around their keywords it still makes NO DIFFERENCE to the image search results within Alamy.

HOWEVER

• If contributors put quotes around their keyword it can make A BIG DIFFERENCE to the image search results obtained via Google. It appears that Alamy's "alphabetic ordered" list of keywords is what Google indexes to produce search results.

Try searching for "Abhz Bbhz" (with quotes) in Google. Only two of my eight test images come up, and they are the ones where I put "Abhz Bbhz" in quotes in my keywords. The images which had the same two keywords in that order but without quotes are excluded.

So there is now a benefit to contributors putting quotes around selected keywords of their images.

If you're wondering what "Abhz Bbhz" and eight test images are, then look at here in the Alamy forum

Interesting, but I wonder how many people use quotes in Google searches. I don't.

Interesting, but I wonder how many people use quotes in Google searches. I don't.

I often do, I find it helps me to find what I want. But I agree that many folks don't know about the various search string modifiers (e.g. using "", -, +).

I often do, I find it helps me to find what I want. But I agree that many folks don't know about the various search string modifiers (e.g. using "", -, +).

I never use quotes either, as the results are always so spot on without them.

Jill

Sounds like you ain't your average Googler.

Sounds like you ain't your average Googler.

Based on a sample of 2 it would appear so.  :unsure:

However, if I try searching without quotes for Abhz Bbhz the Alamy images with "Abhz Bbhz" in their keywords appear higher. Although perhaps not the best of tests since these keywords are in alphabetic order anyway. Maybe some more experimentation is in order.

Certainly I've no plans to go back and start adding quotes to my keywords just yet.

But how to test that?

wim

HOWEVER

Yes I figured they might. What has happened is that all zoom pages seem now to be static pages. Unfortunately with images stripped of all metadata. Probably because in the past there has been some discussion (not here) about possible penalties by Google in the case of keyword spamming. Btw nobody has yet seen this in the case of images.

I wish there was some sort of notebook to the right side of the screen where a client could swipe keywords and images to, either to buy or as the basis for a new search. I wonder how often the color search feature will be used.

wim

If my livelihood depended on me getting exactly targeted results from search-engine searches, I would definitely use quotation marks where appropriate when searching (my livelihood doesn't depend on this and I still use quotation marks to filter out the irrelevant results). I assume anyone whose job was finding particular images would refine their search-engine use accordingly. I also often use AND and OR and the other search string modifiers Mr Chapman mentions above. Saves me hours and hours and sidesteps most of that frustration at irrelevant results you so often hear folk complain about.

Simple example just arose in another thread:

searching for     London architecture   . . . no quotation marks--192,000 results. Using quotation marks "London architecture"--8,000 results. Why would you not use quotation marks when searching?

dd

Archived