Why do our forum posts show up in google?

I have a google alert set up for my name and noticed that our posts show up in a google search if our full name is mentioned.Notice how I only sign my name,'L'

Don't like that all...

I think many of us say things here that are not meant to be shared with people outside of our industry and sometimes what we talk about,at the end of the day would not look so good to a client searching us or Alamy.

I'd like it better if we could adopt the stance of,'What happens in Vegas,stays in Vegas!

L

Didn't it useto be the case that these were closed forums and it changed when the new forums were created 2-3 years ago. I recall some people having the same doubts then about these new open forums.

I renew my recent offer to create a closed group, probably on Facebook, for broader, more private discussions. One can never be entirely certain someone won't repost a thread in a public forum. I had that issue on another agency forum when someone took my comments out of context in support of his (potentially libelous) comments on a dispute he was having - I did get him to take them down.

I've had Facebook "friends" repost my personal status which really bothers me...Who's business is it for something I am doing or going thru in my personal life? I just can't see their motive for sharing and it makes me very uncomfortable and sometimes I will unfriend Facebook friends that do do this.

BTW-I had a huge medical company contact us yesterday in regard to licensing an image. They found me by ending up on a forum where the photo was posted My name/watermark was on it and someone mentioned the content of the photo that is how potential client found it...

So...instead of the client going directly to the agenc from where it originated,they just googled me to buy directly. Still negotiating a big promo/advertising use. They are not bothered it will be in the 4 figures. :-)

I +1 you Martin

L

To the best of my knowledge, they always have.

Way way back, it was (and still is) one of the reasons some have always prefered to not post here under their real names.

To be honest, if you don't want something said online to be seen by pretty well anyone at any time, don't say it. I've been teaching my kids that since they were wee toddlers.

dd

Yes but I only go under the name 'L' for that reason. If someone unintentionally posts our last or full name,then it's out there.

I think if people were posting photos here and if clients can view,they might even try to go directly to the photog.

Happened to me yesterday(not from this forum)

One of the other agencies I am with uses social media to plug images and I know that many potential photo buyers if they see an image they like from a photog will google the photog in the hopes of seeing what they have to offer and try and license directly if they can.

One of my FB real friends was a tv producer in the 80s/90s and I use to cover his shows. He's always posting those photos on FB and I make about 2 sales a week from that. They go directly thru me.

L

Count your blessings, Linda.

If you google "Ed Rooney" you will see endless pages of links about the high school principal in the film Ferris Bueller's Day Off and the actor, Jeffrey Jones, who played him. After that it's Mickey Rooney, Andy Rooney and now Wayne Rooney. I think I'm on Page 1,642. Of course my obscurity has mostly to do with the fact that I'm the only person in the modern world who's not on Facebook.  

Edo  (Google this and learn about the period in Japanese history.)

If you google "Ed Rooney" you will see endless pages of links about the high school principal in the film Ferris Bueller's Day Off and the actor, Jeffrey Jones, who played him. After that it's Mickey Rooney, Andy Rooney and now Wayne Rooney. I think I'm on Page 1,642. Of course my obscurity has mostly to do with the fact that I'm the only person in the modern world who's not on Facebook.  

Ed old buddy, I'm afraid I'm going to have to pop your bubble . . . I too am not on Facebook (and after reading about their Terms and Conditions, I'm particularly comfortable with that situation).

dd

Ed old buddy, I'm afraid I'm going to have to pop your bubble . . . I too am not on Facebook (and after reading about their Terms and Conditions, I'm particularly comfortable with that situation).

dd

The only other people.

I don't know why forum posts end up in Google searches, but I wish they didn't. Having a contributor-only forum has always made sense to me. However. that discussion has come and gone many times, and "the answer, my friend,  is blowin' in the wind."

Actually, your non-membership in Facebook does not surprise me, Dusty. You'll remember I tend to exaggerate things somewhat. In fact I bet we Facelessbookers are legion!  :angry:

Edo 江戸 

Facebook is now for old folks, not youngsters like us, Ed. B)

I'm on FB but tend only to post in closed groups -- e.g. ones for photographers and writers. They can actually be quite useful, even entertaining at times.

I have a google alert set up for my name and noticed that our posts show up in a google search if our full name is mentioned.Notice how I only sign my name,'L'

Don't like that all...

I think many of us say things here that are not meant to be shared with people outside of our industry and sometimes what we talk about,at the end of the day would not look so good to a client searching us or Alamy.

I'd like it better if we could adopt the stance of,'What happens in Vegas,stays in Vegas!

L

I agree with you Linda. None too happy about it either, which is why I don't tend to say too much on here lately.

Don't like that all...

L

Agreed. It was one of the reasons why I changed my pseudo so that when I'm looking for usages my old forum posts don't appear.

I do use my full name on this forum, due to a misunderstanding on my part - I thought it was a closed forum.

I have google alerts set up to find my Pseudos + Alamy, and my Pseudos all include my full name.   These have usefully turned up some usages from time to time, but never any forum posts.   I just tried googling my name and what a lot of illustrious academic Peter Jordans thee are!  I had to get through to page 15 before I found myself, and that was from FAA.

So in practice it does not seem to be much of a probem for me.

I do use my full name on this forum, due to a misunderstanding on my part - I thought it was a closed forum.

I have google alerts set up to find my Pseudos + Alamy, and my Pseudos all include my full name.   These have usefully turned up some usages from time to time, but never any forum posts.   I just tried googling my name and what a lot of illustrious academic Peter Jordans thee are!  I had to get through to page 15 before I found myself, and that was from FAA.

So in practice it does not seem to be much of a probem for me.

Googling "peter jordan alamy discussion", the first 30 results are Alamy forum posts of yours, Peter. So even though you may have had lots of false positives in your initial search, your forum posts may be more distributed across the internet than you think.

dd

dd

The only other people.

Count me in this select and discerning group too. 

I'm not sure why everyone seems so surprised. This forum has always been available to the public as read-only. In fact, 99% of the time I read it as a guest and only log in when I want to post something.

Alan

dd

The only other people.

Count me in this select and discerning group too. 

Would never entertain a FB membership myself either.

Allan

I'm not sure why everyone seems so surprised. This forum has always been available to the public as read-only. In fact, 99% of the time I read it as a guest and only log in when I want to post something.

Alan

As I understand it being "public" and having topics searchable/indexable by Google aren't the same. e.g. Alamy images, the public can see the images, but until recently you couldn't do a Google search for Alamy images.

I don't think there's any concern about the forum being readable by the public, it's that Alamy has also allowed the web-crawlers and spiders access to the forum so that the results appear in their search indexes.

This situation might not be all bad.

I just did a test search on "alamy forum posts ed rooney," and so far, many pages in, I have not come across the character of Ed Rooney in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. This seems like progress. Unfortunately, I do not have the kind of brain that can think several moves ahead, as in chess, so I don't really know where any of this is going. My "thinking" works mostly off the Reptilian brain stem and the Cerebellum (very important when fielding ground balls or kicking a can down the road).  :wacko:

Anyway, I sure hope you outside readers, who have no business being here, enjoyed reading this post.

Edo

Whether I think a forum is open or closed, I Try to keep in mind the possibility any post might end up found by the public, whether through google, forwarding.....

For example, I get daily digest of posts from forum open only to paid pro members, and can barely believe the occasional detailed negative post that would kill customer good-will if spread.

Though quite unlikely someone would maliciously spread such posts - all it would take, for example, is for a member to carelessly breach trust by forwarding digest to share helpful piece of info, and the day's other posts would be along for the ride.

- Ann

I have concerns enough to stop posting here and actually going back and deleting posts I've made. Seriously...I have some very major litigation going on  with my copyrights and defense attorneys know how to google.

I don't want anything I've posted here to be part of my ongoing cases as it was never stated this was a public forum. Many forums I belong to are not public,though others could of course copy and post elsewhere. However with those,I do not have to use my real name and that is what I prefer...

The posts are visible when you put your name inside them or someone else does.

L

Personally, I've never understood why Alamy wants to keep this forum so open, but they are the boss, of course. With forum posts potentially going global via Google, it's probably a good idea to restrict discussions to technical matters only -- like the dpreview forums, where posts also show up in search engine results. However, this could get pretty boring after a while.

I wonder what people on the street in Vladivostock are now saying about "sin bin" waiting times? B)

Archived