Why do our forum posts show up in google?

Personally, I've never understood why Alamy wants to keep this forum so open, but they are the boss, of course. With forum posts potentially going global via Google, it's probably a good idea to restrict discussions to technical matters only -- like the dpreview forums, where posts also show up in search engine results. However, this could get pretty boring after a while.

I wonder what people on the street in Vladivostock are now saying about "sin bin" waiting times? B)

I'm glad they do keep the forum open.

I spent many weeks deciding whether to sign up for Alamy, and reading the posts on this forum helped me a lot in processing and submitting my first batch of images.

I do use my full name on this forum, due to a misunderstanding on my part - I thought it was a closed forum.

I have google alerts set up to find my Pseudos + Alamy, and my Pseudos all include my full name.   These have usefully turned up some usages from time to time, but never any forum posts.   I just tried googling my name and what a lot of illustrious academic Peter Jordans thee are!  I had to get through to page 15 before I found myself, and that was from FAA.

So in practice it does not seem to be much of a probem for me.

Googling "peter jordan alamy discussion", the first 30 results are Alamy forum posts of yours, Peter. So even though you may have had lots of false positives in your initial search, your forum posts may be more distributed across the internet than you think.

dd

DD,

Of course this is true, but anyone wanting to do that search could more easily do it by coming on to this forum as a guest.    A search for "Peter Jordan Photographer" produces more confusing results as there are several photographers with same name and most of the others have a more prominent web presence than I do.  On that one I first appear on P8 via Artflakes which I recently joined.

Personally, I've never understood why Alamy wants to keep this forum so open, but they are the boss, of course. With forum posts potentially going global via Google, it's probably a good idea to restrict discussions to technical matters only -- like the dpreview forums, where posts also show up in search engine results. However, this could get pretty boring after a while.

I wonder what people on the street in Vladivostock are now saying about "sin bin" waiting times? B)

I spent many weeks deciding whether to sign up for Alamy, and reading the posts on this forum helped me a lot in processing and submitting my first batch of images.

Fair comment Ian

Fair comment Ian

Yes, fair comment. I was referring mainly to Google -- i.e. forum posts coming up in Google searches. That seems a bit too open to me for this type of forum, but I guess Alamy has its reasons.

Fair comment Ian

Yes, fair comment. I was referring mainly to Google -- i.e. forum posts coming up in Google searches. That seems a bit too open to me for this type of forum, but I guess Alamy has its reasons.

I guess so. I just Googled "Alamy google discussion" and here we are, about four results down. Maybe this discussion doesn't really exist unless Google can find it ?

I'm off to bed.

Fair comment Ian

I guess so. I just Googled "Alamy google discussion" and here we are, about four results down. Maybe this discussion doesn't really exist unless Google can find it ?

I'm off to bed.

"I Google, therefore I am." Good morning.

Archived