Thanks for my time in the Sin Bin !!!!

I wasn't saying it was or wasn't borderline. Just contributing to the debate. The CA, in particular, didn't seem to be much worse than the pass example. I did say that it failed on SoLD as well- that I thought more serious, although I have had similar material pass on occasion. The two were there for comparison.

I don't submit only 'nice, safe images'.

I don't submit only 'nice, safe images'.

Which is why people fail QC. 

Personally, I think that the Sin Bin approach hinders, not helps, the learning process. However, one thing I have definitely learned over the years is that it's impossible to have a rational conversation about anything to do with the Sin Bin. It's probably best left a verboten topic along with politics, religion, and the competition. Alamy calls the shots, and all we can do is develop our own coping strategies.

I have pictures I took at World Pride in Toronto at night with spinning neon rainbow hula hoops that I was afraid to upload as they were taken hand held so the lights are great but the background is shakey.

I have pictures I took at World Pride in Toronto at night with spinning neon rainbow hula hoops that I was afraid to upload as they were taken hand held so the lights are great but the background is shakey.

They would probably have been fine for the news feed. However, you have to be careful. If an image is deemed "not newsworthy," it suddenly becomes a regular stock photo and has to go through the normal QC process. That happened to me a couple of years ago, and I subsequently ended up in the bin for a month. Now I only upload images to the news feed that I think would pass normal QC.

Sin Bin minuses:

You can't upload for 30 days.  Images you work on can't be uploaded and go on sale for 30 days.

Positives: You can keep right on shooting.  Some people (me included) take time off for other things, shouldn't do that. Don't stomp around scowling and think, "I'll show them!"  "Them" (they) don't care.  You're only hurting yourself with that attitude.

Go ahead and do your normal routine.  Go shooting.  Develop them and put them in a folder.

So...you end up with a mega-folder maybe..not me because I don't upload huge amounts, but still you end up with a month's worth of images.  Take the time during that 30 days to really, really inspect them.  This will give you the opportunity to revisit the images.  Let them cook for a few days then inspect again, when your eyes aren't tired from developing them.  I have done this and actually deleted a few that upon 2nd look, decided they were iffy.  I do think sometimes we don't see the (cliche) forest for the trees. It's amazing how things may look differently when you go back after a few days or week.

When you are free to upload again, upload that big folder.  Granted, it is a pain to have to put that many through disambiguation. but over a period of a few days you can get it done, one bite at a time.  Then...back to normal.  You still end up with as many images in your portfolio as you would have had if you hadn't gone to the sin bin.

Betty

I have been shooting as normal, doing my PP, and even thinking about doing keywording in advance of uploading --- something I have not yet done.  I'm about three weeks in the sin bin now. I should figure the keywording out in LR5. 

I've (Jez, every sentence starts with I) just deleted my tenth image in the bunch I have selected and am keeping in a folder. I have 60 left to upload.  :D

I have been shooting as normal, doing my PP, and even thinking about doing keywording in advance of uploading --- something I have not yet done.  I'm about three weeks in the sin bin now. I should figure the keywording out in LR5. 

I've (Jez, every sentence starts with I) just deleted my tenth image in the bunch I have selected and am keeping in a folder. I have 60 left to upload.  :D

You invented the wheel before I thought of it. Was I reading your mind?

Go ahead and do your normal routine.  Go shooting.  Develop them and put them in a folder.

I'd be happy to continue shooting, but I'd probably stop developing until I knew where I'd gone wrong so I could be sure that I wouldn't have to go back and reprocess. Especially as some failures (eg. CA) are best corrected early in the workflow. It would be easier if Alamy told us about fails and the reason straightaway and then simply prevented further uploads for the designated "timeout" period. But then I suppose that's the whole point. If the consequence of QC failure is worse, then we're "encouraged" to try harder not to fail in the first place.

Not many full-size examples of "marginal" QC fails posted yet.

If you think the ones that have been posted are useful how about awarding some "greenies" to the posters?

That might encourage some other examples to appear... :)

If there really aren't many examples that contributors regard as "marginal" then maybe it indicates most fails are due to obvious mistakes (oops missed that dust spot) and not down to a misjudgment of the QC pass/fail thresholds?

I suppose it would be possible to conduct a poll...

Specsavers offer hearing test and fit hearing aid (if needed, and they will persuade you it is) and give you a FREE pair of specs a well (wether you need them or not).

Allan

Putting you in the sin bin without giving the reason why straight away is stupid IMHO.

I've greenied your red arrow above Mark. Maybe people who give red arrows should be put in the sin bin ? ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I upload one image a couple of weeks ago and the next day it failed QC. The next day. Usually it would be a month before they reported the failure to me. Is this a change of procedure? So........ If I upload another will it be 30 days before I get a pass or fail reply???

Two more points. I have gotten far more fails from my full frame 5D 2 than from my aps-3 ?? Using the same lenses. .?? Second - when I send the fails to AGE the are accepted and end up on Alamy a few weeks later. figure that one out?? Quite honestly the boys in QC often equate motion as in a crashing wave as soft?? And I could go on about other strange interpretations.

Two more points. I have gotten far more fails from my full frame 5D 2 than from my aps-3 ?? Using the same lenses. .?? Second - when I send the fails to AGE the are accepted and end up on Alamy a few weeks later. figure that one out?? Quite honestly the boys in QC often equate motion as in a crashing wave as soft?? And I could go on about other strange interpretations.

People are virtually begging to be shown such examples, please post some 100% crops.

dd

People are virtually begging to be shown such examples, please post some 100% crops.

dd

Yes, it's always instructive to see what didn't make it through the main Alamy gate, even if they did manage to squeeze through one of the side doors.

P.S. Addict, I have images with that Spanish agency you mentioned, and they haven't shown up here. They were submitted through a portal, though, not directly to the agency, so perhaps that's why they didn't get passed along. It's a tangled Web we've woven.

• 2 weeks later...

Not for the first time (nor the last no doubt), we appear to have squandered an opportunity to show people an actual example (100% crop) of QC apparently judging photos in a way that does not serve our interests (interpreting wave movement as "soft"). No wonder some folk here are paranoid . . .

dd

No wonder some folk here are paranoid

Paranoid is the keyword here!  i am about to come out of the sin bin in 5 days, while waiting for time to pass i have been going blind on re-checking images to be uploaded,  and yes i am becoming paranoid, Alamy will not see some images for this reason, there is probably nothing wrong with what i have decided not to upload,  i wonder how many more of us are doing the same.

For me time is precious and waiting in the sin bin for a month is frustrating to say the least.

I have thousands of images to offer Alamy, unfortunately i feel that most will not see the Alamy site.

Paul.

Archived