Thanks for my time in the Sin Bin !!!!

Haha, quite right. Hoist by our own wotsits.

Goodness me, some people do have long and detailed memories, don't they? I didn't think my contributions were so memorable.

I don't do schadenfreude or red arrows or take amusement at others' misfortune but it does seem that the rules have changed. I'm not doing anything different.

"I would say it has little to no impact as to whether I submit work know or later.... it just comes down to the way they "Treat" you. I'm trying to build a business while they seem to want to play kinder garden games (no, I'm not telling you, it's a secret, you can't play for a whole month). Ok, I'll find someone else to play, I mean WORK with!" -- Duncan

Usually, Duncan, but it's not always the case. I had been tracking the completion of the 9/11 Memorial and particularly the Freedom Tower on a daily basis for months. As soon as it was completed I went down on the first clear day to shoot. (in fact I shot for three days at different times.) Something in the second batch landed me in the sin bin . . . and my momentary "exclusive" went up in smoke. By the way, I saw nothing untoward in that image. 

Hi Allan,

Since you asked - I feel someone in your situation Should apply for access to news feed.

You've already captured one newsworthy event you wish clients could have seen sooner, and it bothered you enough to write about it here. I understand why you see that as another reason against the 28-day wait procedure, but, happily, as you've mentioned yourself, you have an option to deal with it - news feed access gets newsworthy images online quickly, within minutes.

When I applied a few years ago it took less time than posting a few comments on forum.

All the best - Ann

Another line of thought is what happens when a contributor does not have access to the news feed.

My personal example:

• Submitted batch to QC then a few days later went out to shoot a news worthy event.
  • Returned home and due to quantity of images took a couple of days to process to my liking and Alamy QC requirements.
  • Realised that batch from 1 by then must have failed.
  • News worthy images from event now on back burner for best part of one month.
Granted it was not an event that was Earth shattering and would have required images that day, or even for two or three days after, but images would have/should have been accessible to customers within a week.

Of course if I had access to news feed then the problem would not exist, would it?

As I do not usually "do" news events I don't think it worth my while pursuing that avenue either, is it?

Allan

This whole thread makes me laugh.

I brought this issue up ages ago and was told to do this and do that by people on this very thread who are now banned for 28 days. 

One of the most repetitive posts I saw over and over again, was - 'these are the rules of Alamy'.

From people on this post. Now they're complaining and you have to see the funny side of it.

The ability to change your mind on an issue is a sign of intelligence. 

I brought this issue up ages ago and was told to do this and do that by people on this very thread who are now banned for 28 days. 

One of the most repetitive posts I saw over and over again, was - 'these are the rules of Alamy'.

From people on this post. Now they're complaining and you have to see the funny side of it.

And maturity in being able to see the other side of the argument.

Allan

Hi Allan,

Since you asked - I feel someone in your situation Should apply for access to news feed.

You've already captured one newsworthy event you wish clients could have seen sooner, and it bothered you enough to write about it here. I understand why you see that as another reason against the 28-day wait procedure, but, happily, as you've mentioned yourself, you have an option to deal with it - news feed access gets newsworthy images online quickly, within minutes.

When I applied a few years ago it took less time than posting a few comments on forum.

All the best - Ann

Another line of thought is what happens when a contributor does not have access to the news feed.

My personal example:

• Submitted batch to QC then a few days later went out to shoot a news worthy event.
  • Returned home and due to quantity of images took a couple of days to process to my liking and Alamy QC requirements.
Granted it was not an event that was Earth shattering and would have required images that day, or even for two or three days after, but images would have/should have been accessible to customers within a week.

Of course if I had access to news feed then the problem would not exist, would it?

As I do not usually "do" news events I don't think it worth my while pursuing that avenue either, is it?

Allan

Thank you for your response Ann.

As I mentioned, and you alluded to, the fact that I do not usually submit "news items" would that not exclude me from that upload route?

Is it necessary when you have that route to use it frequently or lose it?

Allan

Hi Allan,

All the best - Ann

My personal example:

Allan

As I mentioned, and you alluded to, the fact that I do not usually submit "news items" would that not exclude me from that upload route?

Allan

I have the news web upload and have yet to use it. When I applied I was going to the sled dog championships, but ended up snowed in!

It is still there and hopefully I can get to use it in not too long.

Jill

Allan

And wisdom is the ability to go with the tide ...

Or maybe I got that wrong

I was invited to the newsfeed IIRC and use it about once a year, without sales yet, but it does bypass QC. Hope I haven't queered that as well.

Hi Allan,

All the best - Ann

My personal example:

Allan

Allan

I have the news web upload and have yet to use it. When I applied I was going to the sled dog championships, but ended up snowed in!

It is still there and hopefully I can get to use it in not too long.

Jill

Thank you both. I will give it a try.

Allan

Allan - For news feed access, I think one mainly needs good QC record. (For FTP access, requirements are more specific, demanding.)

I'd be surprised if one had to use access or lose access, since that would take up A's valuable time, for no apparent benefit. If someone had a clear, ongoing problem, such as submitting non-newsworthy photos via news route, that could be a different matter.
- Ann

[Edited to add: I see others have already addressed this.]

Allan

Someone once said (not Yogi Berra) "The opposite is also true."

I've been having good luck with QC lately, so I'm a bit hesitant to wade into this thread. However, I would like to make a humble suggestion that I believe could go a long way to improve the current system and make it more contributor-friendly.

Alamy has said the following:

"2 - the system discourages those who fail to simply resubmit the rest of the batch without checking properly"

This is no doubt true, and I can understand where Alamy is coming from. But wouldn't a maximum two-week (rather than one-month) "sin bin" stay accomplish the same end without putting such a big dent in contributors' workflows? In my opinion, 14 days would be a more rational -- and less demoralizing -- cooling off and "rechecking" period to impose. It also seems like a fair compromise after all these years of no change to the existing policy.

Just my two pixels' worth...

So after 28 days (or what ever) what do you expect most will do? Submit them all again at the first possibility?!? It's not like you can see which image out of which batch that has failed so you can correct the problem.... it could be a technical issue with some equipment that has then been allowed to go on for another 28 days. 

I understand that Alamy wants to discourage submissions of unacceptable images. If punishment in the sin bin is to be given out to discourage more flawed submissions, fine, but I also think it would be best to find out right away what the problem was.  Then you can work on whatever the source of the problem was during your time in the sin bin, and have improved images ready to go when you are 'out'.   That would seem to be much more productive.  

I agree with you, MariaJ.  Let us know which image and why, so we can get on with it during that 30 days, knowing what we need to be about.  I also agree with the 2 week time out.

More and more good photographers are beginning to look elsewhere with their images.  Very discouraging.

Betty

Patronising...yes. Discouraging...yes. A bit rude to leave contributors guessing whether or not...sure.

...but...

...just go and do something else with the time/effort/images/workflow in the mean time.

That's rite! do something else,  after all Alamy is not the be all and end all in image distribution,  including myself  wonder why we all carry on so much about QC,  when Alamy now claim to add 30,000 images daily, i ask is it so necessary to worry about adding our handful of images that won't make a dent in the Alamy system or hardly be seen amongst near on 50 million.

As funkyworm says,  just go and do something else.

Paul.

Once you know you have failed, should you not go through your whole submission to find the culprit yourself and perhaps others? I am assuming that this is what they want you to do. So not only having to wait the 28 days, but to have to go one by one through all the submitted shots (and for some of you guys that could be quite a few) is a real pain. My submission numbers are low (I think 45 was the most I submitted at one time) so it wouldn't take me as long as some of you other guys.

Their theory being that both of these things would tick you off enough that you will be a little more vigilant with the next upload. Of course what it has done to most of us has made us paranoid about submitting perfectly good shots.

Or they could take a bigger cut and look at every single shot submitted like the other agencies. I'll take the odd trip to the sin bin over losing a larger cut of my money.

Jill

"Their theory being that both of these things would tick you off enough that you will be a little more vigilant with the next upload. Of course what it has done to most of us has made us paranoid about submitting perfectly good shots.

Or they could take a bigger cut and look at every single shot submitted like the other agencies. I'll take the odd trip to the sin bin over losing a larger cut of my money." --

Jill

Yes to your first point; we don't know if we're coming or going.

On the second point, Alamy recently raised their commission to 50%. Perhaps that was just before you arrived? 

Archived