I have just had a look at your images (thumbnails only) and they look OK to me. But I am sure that some others on this forum will look too after your comment in your post.

Listen to them as they are better able to offer constructive critiques than I.

Allan

I hope you sent an invoice for that critique Allan :D

I have just had a look at your images (thumbnails only) and they look OK to me. But I am sure that some others on this forum will look too after your comment in your post.

Listen to them as they are better able to offer constructive critiques than I.

Allan

I hope you sent an invoice for that critique Allan :D

As John Inman used to say, "I'm Free."

Allan

I get that even more now since I got the 5D mark III. Does my head in. 

so

Anonomyse your equipment with black tape; use a plain strap

end of problem

km

oh, and Lastrega....E1WWED...its also a lifebelt

oh, and Lastrega....E1WWED...its also a lifebelt

Doh!  Homer moment.....  Thanks!  I'll add that in....  

so

Anonomyse your equipment with black tape; use a plain strap

end of problem

km

put paper bag over head as well

cut breathing and eye holes first to avoid new problems

Lastrega, I think what you have is a good start. However, (there's always something isn't there ;) ), I would just tighten up on some of the elements within your images.

E0K3D2 - my eye is directly drawn to the small amount of green leaves in the bottom right hand corner. You could clone them out but really you should try to avoid distractions such as this in an image.

Before I press the shutter button I check the whole image is what I want. If there are any distractions I move. If it is too much and I'm not in a position to get what I want the photo is not taken and I walk away.

People will talk about editing your work before uploading. You should also exercise some editing in the "field" too to make sure you don't bring home more work than is needed.

My 2c worth :) 

Lastrega, I think what you have is a good start. However, (there's always something isn't there ;) ), I would just tighten up on some of the elements within your images.

E0K3D2 - my eye is directly drawn to the small amount of green leaves in the bottom right hand corner. You could clone them out but really you should try to avoid distractions such as this in an image.

Before I press the shutter button I check the whole image is what I want. If there are any distractions I move. If it is too much and I'm not in a position to get what I want the photo is not taken and I walk away.

People will talk about editing your work before uploading. You should also exercise some editing in the "field" too to make sure you don't bring home more work than is needed.

My 2c worth :) 

Thanks for that, now that you have mentioned it, I can't stop my eye going to it either!  I will fix that and upload the new image, delete this one.  

I really appreciate the tips and thanks for being gentle with me!

Thanks for that, now that you have mentioned it, I can't stop my eye going to it either!  I will fix that and upload the new image, delete this one.  

I really appreciate the tips and thanks for being gentle with me!

That's alright! This is my day job and so I get used to it and watching the small things. As you do it more and more you'll become picky as to what you take.

You can find that in the beginning the scatter gun approach seems the obvious way but its not. Yes, having the numbers of images is important but its also the quality of the image too. And I am guilty as anyone of uploading nonsense!

These chaps at Pholio - why do they need to write 1000 word essays for £25 when they are such whizzes at photography?

When you see a gold rush, stop digging and sell shovels.

Two stores in a gold rush town, selling pans, shovels, Levis, six shooters etc.  But the early panning days are over.  Both put up a sign: "Come inside and for a couple of cents our resident expert will tell you everything you need to know about panning for gold".

One store hires an experienced gold digger who gives sensible, relevant  and timely advice.

The other store stays open.

If I had made any sales, then perhaps I could afford to have my shots reviewed  :D :D :D :D

(back in the sin bin again!!!!!) :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Barking, looking at your portfolio on Alamy I could say this to you.

1) Take a look at what you have. The very first page comes up with three pictures of a crab. The first two look nearly identical. This is also not the only example as there are others.

2) As a landscape/ travel photographer I would say watch the blown skies on some of your images. E19N9X is one example where to me it looks like there are blown highlights in the sky. From looking at it I would say there is a possibility they could be toned down using the grad tool in Lightroom. However, I would always emphasize getting it right "in camera" before you get back home. It is always about time and if like me you are shooting a lot then time is everything and you don't need to faffing about once you get back to the digital workstation.

3) Composition. E19NAG is a good example of timing for me. The two people have their legs chopped off. It may not bother some but it does me. It's something that is easily done but also easily avoided.

4) Exposure. DPENEW looks very underexposed. It could be that is what you want but looking at it the image looks way too dark.

Is it all negative? No, of course not. What I would say is that you have a good variety of subjects from a good variety of places. Bear in mind some of the above then just keep shooting and uploading :)

Any help?

If I had made any sales, then perhaps I could afford to have my shots reviewed  :D :D :D :D

(back in the sin bin again!!!!!) :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Barking, looking at your portfolio on Alamy I could say this to you.

1) Take a look at what you have. The very first page comes up with three pictures of a crab. The first two look nearly identical. This is also not the only example as there are others.

2) As a landscape/ travel photographer I would say watch the blown skies on some of your images. E19N9X is one example where to me it looks like there are blown highlights in the sky. From looking at it I would say there is a possibility they could be toned down using the grad tool in Lightroom. However, I would always emphasize getting it right "in camera" before you get back home. It is always about time and if like me you are shooting a lot then time is everything and you don't need to faffing about once you get back to the digital workstation.

3) Composition. E19NAG is a good example of timing for me. The two people have their legs chopped off. It may not bother some but it does me. It's something that is easily done but also easily avoided.

4) Exposure. DPENEW looks very underexposed. It could be that is what you want but looking at it the image looks way too dark.

Is it all negative? No, of course not. What I would say is that you have a good variety of subjects from a good variety of places. Bear in mind some of the above then just keep shooting and uploading :)

Any help?

Thanks, Jools....always grateful for help :)

The Crabs...admittedly similar, but my thinking was they were different enough in case a `buyer' wanted a slightly different angle/pick?

E19N9X - Lightroom histogram does not show any blown highlights

E19NAG - Yes, the cut off has been pointed out eslewhere...you only get one chance, sometimes

DPENEW - Yes, I agree...was trying to get the atmosphere

all very useful tips/comments...must try harder.  I had a brief blip with QC and then got another batch through but my latest seem to have `failed' again - yet I felt I had ben really careful...aaaarrrggghhh!!!

One thing I will say for Pholio. I was contacted by them to see if I was available to photograph something for one of their clients. It was a pretty well paid job for what it was. Apparently they are on the look out for photographers in wide areas to do odd jobs. I couldn't do it because I work full time and it was during the week, so I think it's more than what it lets on to be. 

No problems Barking!

On the getting one chance. Remember, if you think it is really worth it then hold out. Learn to have patience and I mean patience. 

I was in San Gimignano, Tuscany a couple of weeks ago. That town is heaving with people and it took me 80 minutes to get my shot. I wanted people in the photo but not the busloads that kept coming in.

Here's the shot.

PS Yes, I know there is a tiny bit of something in the bottom left. I should have cloned it out but hey it's gone into a library that sounds like Betty ;)

jme-10917.jpg?w=640

No problems Barking!

On the getting one chance. Remember, if you think it is really worth it then hold out. Learn to have patience and I mean patience. 

I was in San Gimignano, Tuscany a couple of weeks ago. That town is heaving with people and it took me 80 minutes to get my shot. I wanted people in the photo but not the busloads that kept coming in.

Here's the shot.

PS Yes, I know there is a tiny bit of something in the bottom left. I should have cloned it out but hey it's gone into a library that sounds like Betty ;)

jme-10917.jpg?w=640

Are you using my name in vain? :)

Archived