Just had this email from Alamy.

I'm sure they will find something to say about my portfolio!

Hi John      

Are you looking for a way to boost your sales, improve your portfolio, develop your skills or get feedback on your work? Through our friends at Pholio you can get your work reviewed professionally by using their unique online service.

For just £25, Pholio offer the most affordable online portfolio review. You can submit up to 15 images per review and you’ll get 500-1000 words of helpful, workable feedback within 7 working days.

Submit your portfolio for review ›

Yeh! I got that one as well. Think they are trying to tell us something John? :huh:

Allan

No, probably sell you something  :)

I ain't buying. ;)

Allan

I'm sure there are a couple forum members here who could contribute more than 500-1000 words... for free. =)

-Jason

I'm sure there are!

I just wonder what pholio would say? "those pics of yours are fantastic, we don't think you need to do anything - how can you improve on perfection"

Maybe  ;)  

I'll look at portfolios for £20. B)

I'm still not buying. :P

Allan

But I have a BA!

BA humbug!  I have cats, dogs and bears. :D

Allan

Well I obviously need help because after 5 years and 4300 images I'm obviously so clueless that QC have to be protected from my rubbish pix for 6 weeks.

If only there was some help you could buy for, say, £25............

I went ahead and submitted 15 images I thought were my best to date. Not all alamy stuff, just in general from everything I do. I don't have friends who are photographers, I have never been taught the correct ways and really just learned through lack of sales and the general tumble weed blowing over posted images on-line. I think for £25 it's not going to break the bank to have an external body have a wee look over your stuff if you feel things are going a bit wonky. 

Seems to be more geared towards students doing some sort of photography qualification though. 

I went ahead and submitted 15 images I thought were my best to date. Not all alamy stuff, just in general from everything I do. I don't have friends who are photographers, I have never been taught the correct ways and really just learned through lack of sales and the general tumble weed blowing over posted images on-line. I think for £25 it's not going to break the bank to have an external body have a wee look over your stuff if you feel things are going a bit wonky. 

Seems to be more geared towards students doing some sort of photography qualification though. 

Let us know what they say about your portfolio.

John.

I think you may very well be right about this.

Also curious as to what kind of review you will receive.

I still think that the Alamy forum could be a lot better. However, you will get a lot of different answers and not always to what you have asked.

I haven't any friends on Alamy  :)  - meaning I have not added any in my profile. If one does, does it offer any possibilities for a group discussion about images f.inst.?? One could upload the image on a server elsewhere, but discussion and reviews could be done there? Just a brief and untested idea.

I don't have any help as a photographer and any photographer I've come into contact personally are just interested in where I get my Kingfisher pictures. I am self taught, and never read any books so I think it's easy to be distracted and fall into cliché photography traps and never develop. I thought I'd see how it went. If it's a disaster then I'll learn from it, and if it's positive I'll keep going. 

My personal experience of the photography circle is that you need to remember that you're not in anyones circle and you need to find your own feet. No-one is going to help. That's why I've never asked for help with critique or the like. Not a negative comment, I think it's just the way it goes. 

In general when talking to photographers in the street all they seem to be interested in is talking about their/your gear not photos etc. :blink:

Allan

In general when talking to photographers in the street all they seem to be interested in is talking about their/your gear not photos etc. :blink:

Allan

I get that even more now since I got the 5D mark III. Does my head in. 

My personal experience of the photography circle is that you need to remember that you're not in anyones circle and you need to find your own feet. No-one is going to help. That's why I've never asked for help with critique or the like. Not a negative comment, I think it's just the way it goes. 

I think it's fine as long as you are having your work critiqued FOR something.  I do paintings and I find that people generally want to tell you what THEY want.  So, I get lots of suggestions for paintings that people would hang on their walls - which is fine, but no one else can have the vision of the picture I have in my head, or the vision of what I was trying to achieve. What they want is not what I am trying to do.

So, what you say about finding your own feet strikes a chord with me as I believe you have to just try bit by bit to work towards developing yourself, otherwise you end up just producing the same as everybody else and being unhappy with what you produce. 

Of course, if you can get some advice specific to what is required for say stock, or for a particular project, then that would be good. For me, technical help is always good and pointers to where I am going wrong is helpful, as long as the person giving the advice or criticism is clear on the reason I'm doing the work and asking for help. The fact that you are asking for the help is great, you want to improve, good on you.

I only have 26 images up so far, so it would be about a £ a shot for me, so I think I'll wait a bit.  And I am a scaredy cat, I am reticent about asking for critiques because of  that old thing of asking 'How does my hair look?'  and getting 'Fine, but your dress is too tight, your shoes look like boats and your bum looks enormous, no offence'.

Good luck with the critique, hope you get some helpful advice and some good feedback too.

I have just had a look at your images (thumbnails only) and they look OK to me. But I am sure that some others on this forum will look too after your comment in your post.

Listen to them as they are better able to offer constructive critiques than I.

Allan

Archived