Do we keyword "horizontal?"

Hi Betty,

No need as it can be selectedby the searcher via the selective searches to the left of the search box, and the search engine automatically detects portrait or landscape as well as square and panoramic

Kumar

Ok let me re-phrase Betty's question then, because I am in the same boat.

If a client searches for horizontal, and I do not have that in my keywords, will my image turn up?

I guess it's testing time again!

wim

Clients use it too. Probably some clients use portrait and landscape. Maybe only the first time ;-)

(How many clients know the meaning of portrait and landscape? Why not include horizontal and vertical?)

When I search for road horizontal (actual search)

I get:

road horizontal :151,797 Results

road horizontal - with landscape box ticked: 143,777 Results

road  - with landscape box ticked: 762,900 Results

From that I read: 151,797 have both keywords, but only 143,777 are really horizontal. Or some are not being recognized as such by the engine.

That's easy to test:

4681 portraits

1034 squares

2305 pano

143777 landscape

makes 151797 total. No image left behind.

Now the 762,900 for road  - with landscape box ticked - mean that 151,797 of those have the keyword horizontal, but 611,103 do not. And those did not appear in the results for road horizontal.

There's our answer.

Which also means this filter works slightly different from the white background one that was mentioned here some time ago.

wim

edit: italics

edit2: looking over my answer, I now see the stupidity of the filter that does not include panoramas in the results for the landscape box.

I use portrait and landscape as keywords, but portrait only if I have a closeup of a living thing, usually a person, but a horse, cat or dog will do if it is not in action and standing or sitting pretty. :)

I use landscape only if it is an image of an expanse of land, mountains or something like that.  I would think a landscape could also include that expanse of land in a vertical orientation, especially if taken with a wide angle lens.

Maybe I've been doing it all wrong.  But if I don't need to type vertical and horizontal, it would be nice.

Betty

Edited to add:  I just ran a search on only the word "horizontal".  I got 4,594,361 results.  The images are horizontal in orientation. When I typed in vertical, I got 3,153,511 correct results.  There were an odd image here and there, like a vertical in the horizontal search and same for the other.  One image had a horizontal striped pattern but in a vertical orientation.

Allowing for mistakes, which I've caught myself making when I copy keywords from one image to another similar image but different orientation, I think more people use those keywords than you might think.  Whether they need to is the question. Now I'm off to check portrait and landscape.  I'll leave the esoteric tests to you guys who know what you are doing, lol!  I clearly don't!

Clients use it too. Probably some clients use portrait and landscape. Maybe only the first time ;-)

(How many clients know the meaning of portrait and landscape? Why not include horizontal and vertical?)

When I search for road horizontal (actual search)

I get:

road horizontal :151,797 Results

road horizontal - with landscape box ticked: 143,777 Results

road  - with landscape box ticked: 762,900 Results

From that I read: 151,797 have both keywords, but only 143,777 are really horizontal. Or some are not being recognized as such by the engine.

That's easy to test:

4681 portraits

1034 squares

2305 pano

143777 landscape

makes 151797 total. No image left behind.

Now the 762,900 for road  - with landscape box ticked - mean that 151,797 of those have the keyword horizontal, but 611,103 do not. And those did not appear in the results for road horizontal.

There's our answer.

Which also means this filter works slightly different from the white background one that was mentioned here some time ago.

wim

edit: italics

edit2: looking over my answer, I now see the stupidity of the filter that does not include panoramas in the results for the landscape box.

when I searched farm horizontal, I got fewer results (by a lot) than when I searched farm.  So I would think using horizontal as a keyword would help your image be seen with less competition when searched by people who use horizontal as a keyword, but don't use the advanced search and tick the box.  It might not be a significant advantage.  I would like to know the percentages of how searchers do it one way or the other, but have no clue. Probably most experienced searchers do use the advanced search.

When I searched landscape, I did, as I thought I would, get verticals, horizontals, and squares, all of land. When I searched "portrait", I got portraits of people and animals, but in different orientations also.

B

I systematically keyword horizontal landscape vertical portrait on all my images using the bulk feature. Tales seconds. I then delete individually as appropriate.

Having checked the frequency of use of horizontal and vertical over the last 12 months it has probably been a waste of time, about 60 times for each.

dov

After reading the foregoing while being "upright" I feel I must "lie down" now. :)

Allan

Allan, that's a rather "oblique" answer to Betty's question.

Certainly a different slant on things

After reading the foregoing while being "upright" I feel I must "lie down" now. :)

Allan

Certainly a different slant on things

At least I did not go off at a tangent. :P

Allan

Allan

Yes, for is Allan prone or supine?  (or prone to be supine?)

- Ann

Allan

- Ann

Actually Ann I am an upright citizen. :)

Allan

Allan

- Ann

Allan

With no obvious political leanings?

Allan

- Ann

Allan

Unlike me who leans so far to the left I am almost horizontal.

Allan

- Ann

Allan

No polical leanings, middle of the road, "straight up"

Allan

• 2 years later...

And so the consensus is not to bother to keyword vertical and horizontal -  Is that right? Does seem a bit daft when the software must be able to detect the orientation. I'm going to stop doing it. Should save some precious nano seconds of time! :-)

I did a search on AoA for %vertical%.  There were 25 pages over the past year.  7 sales, lots of zooms.

I picked a sample one:  panthera leo female vertical.  That brings up 477 results.  If you search panthera leo female and use the portrait filter, it brings up 1542 images.  So 477 had the word vertical in their keywords, the rest did not.  So there were over 1,000 images the buyer did not see as he didn't use the filter.

I think I may go in and slowly start adding vertical and horizontal to relevant images.

Jill

Archived