Do we keyword "horizontal?"

That's useful information, Jill. Thanks for the research. I know I overdo the keywording but it seems to more or less work for me. I have had sales for images that had keywords very few other people used. My rank has never been super high but good enough that I feel like my work is seen often enough.

Paulette

Horizontal, vertical, landscape, portrait, long-ways, tall-ways... I'm running out of keyword space!!! :-)

You forgot not horizontal, not vertical etc...;-)

Then there's the viewpoints, front, side, rear, profile.... How does Alamy set those?

I did a search on AoA for %vertical%.  There were 25 pages over the past year.  7 sales, lots of zooms.

I picked a sample one:  panthera leo female vertical.  That brings up 477 results.  If you search panthera leo female and use the portrait filter, it brings up 1542 images.  So 477 had the word vertical in their keywords, the rest did not.  So there were over 1,000 images the buyer did not see as he didn't use the filter.

I think I may go in and slowly start adding vertical and horizontal to relevant images.

Jill

Hi Jill, That's really interesting. Thanks for the info, much appreciated! :-)

Horizontal, vertical, landscape, portrait, long-ways, tall-ways... I'm running out of keyword space!!! :-)

You forgot not horizontal, not vertical etc...;-)

Then there's the viewpoints, front, side, rear, profile.... How does Alamy set those?

Hi Carl, I hadn't thought of going that far but it makes sense.  Would be interesting to know what search terms picture editors regularly use and whether it is worth the extra effort. I guess they are like everyone else and time constrained. Perhaps it would be easier for them to scan through a few pages rather than having to spend time typing in additional search terms. Nevertheless, I will start adding more detail! Thanks :-)

Or "vertical?"  I've been doing this forever, but wonder if a buyer indicates orientation, is it automatically detected without the keyword?

What do you do?

Betty

It is funny to see a person with over 4,000 images ask that. I usually do it and often in the less important keywords window. Cannot hurt.

Or "vertical?"  I've been doing this forever, but wonder if a buyer indicates orientation, is it automatically detected without the keyword?

What do you do?

Betty

It is funny to see a person with over 4,000 images ask that. I usually do it and often in the less important keywords window. Cannot hurt.
I asked this question 2 1/2 years ago when I had waaay fewer images. I had been using the keyword horizontal and vertical. But I believe it was mentioned that Alamy identified the orientation upon upload, automatically. I was trying to figure out if I could quit using those keywords.

What do you do?

Betty

I asked this question 2 1/2 years ago when I had waaay fewer images. I had been using the keyword horizontal and vertical. But I believe it was mentioned that Alamy identified the orientation upon upload, automatically. I was trying to figure out if I could quit using those keywords.

I hadn't noticed how old the thread was, but still relevant.  It does show though that there are lots of searches using "vertical" and "horizontal" in the search as opposed to using the filter.  

And Alamy doesn't use the filter if someone puts in "vertical" as someone could be looking for images of "vertical blinds", so not meaning that they only wanted vertical images.

With the millions of images out there, I think you have to add anything that is relevant that will improve your images being seen.

Jill

Archived