And What Subjects Do You Avoid?

What Subjects Do You Avoid?

Those that require waiting patiently for long periods...

No wild animals for you then.

Paulette

Even at the zoo Paulette, patience is a virtue. I had to sit with the grizzly bear for 45 minutes just to wait for her to get up. It's one of my favourite places to go, and people want to go with me, but they get frustrated with me when I want to sit and wait and watch. 

I suppose I am a bit too stock orientated, but I don't shoot something if I can't think of the keywords.

I only shoot children if they are part of a crowd.   I do not shoot anything I judge to be exploitative, e.g down and outs or anyone in distress.   I have sold a license for a road traffic accident picture, but it did not  include any injured or distressed people.    I carefully avoid any kind of crime scene.

In  museums and other visitor attractions:

1)   I do not ask if I can take pictures.

2)   If there is a sign saying do not take pictures - don't take pictures

3)  If someone official says don't take pictures, I apologize and explain I had not seen a sign, and then ask if there any parts where photography is permitted.   If not I stop.  Any pictures taken in these kind of places I mark as needing PR and that I do not have one.

If anyone objects to my photography I never argue just say sorry and go and shoot something else....

I was stopped, or rather told, on the tarmac at Toulouse by a ground handler that photography was not allowed but I couldn't narrow down where exactly. . So I didn't take any more pictures. When in Rome.

At home, where I please in public, with explanation ready. I'm no RCB though.

I was stopped, or rather told, on the tarmac at Toulouse by a ground handler that photography was not allowed but I couldn't narrow down where exactly. . So I didn't take any more pictures.

To lose or not Toulouse  :)

You showed common sense, but couldn't help it...

I avoid subjects that I have shot many times before, and can no longer improve upon. I try to stay out of a rut. If I stop learning, and start factory producing good images, I am in a rut. 

I usually chase a subject for a year or so. I try to improve and learn and try new things. However at some point, no matter how good the images, I realize I am in a rut. Same old, same old, yada yada, nothing new to say. I then avoid the subject, and move on to something else.

I was feeling I was in a rut with my water/ocean images. At the same time I liked the point of view images from a GoPro. I purchased a waterproof camera, not to shoot underwater but to shoot extra close to water. I was no longer shooting from the shore, but from a position in the water.

The first image D5A610 for me is a routine wave ocean image, shot from the shore, and the second DY5GT9 is a first attempt at a wave from the same general location, but shot from in the water. I learned a lot from that shoot. I now have a lot of ideas for using the camera at water level. Things like surf, spawning salmon, canoeing, fishing, blizzard, rain, etc that I would not attempt with a conventional camera.

On another note I may also start to experiment shooting kitsch. Lots of it around. Niagara Falls is only 2 hours from my home. I have photographed the Falls itself to death in all seasons. However I have not photographed the motherload of kitschy tacky tourist attractions that surround the park. Maybe I will take a trip to Niagara and ignore the Falls itself. The world does not need another conventional shot of Niagara Falls. Maybe I will stick my waterproof camera on a pole and dangle it over the falls.

D5A610.jpg

DY5GT9.jpg

I suppose I am a bit too stock orientated, but I don't shoot something if I can't think of the keywords.

I only shoot children if they are part of a crowd.   I do not shoot anything I judge to be exploitative, e.g down and outs or anyone in distress.   I have sold a license for a road traffic accident picture, but it did not  include any injured or distressed people.    I carefully avoid any kind of crime scene.

In  museums and other visitor attractions:

1)   I do not ask if I can take pictures.

2)   If there is a sign saying do not take pictures - don't take pictures

3)  If someone official says don't take pictures, I apologize and explain I had not seen a sign, and then ask if there any parts where photography is permitted.   If not I stop.  Any pictures taken in these kind of places I mark as needing PR and that I do not have one.

If anyone objects to my photography I never argue just say sorry and go and shoot something else....

Same thing, more or less, Peter, but with me the scene has to suggest a caption; a caption means it's stock. I deal with keywords by looking at the image not the scene.

(Peter, may I send you a question about the RX10 in a PM?)

Edo

I avoid subjects that I have shot many times before, and can no longer improve upon.

This would make a topic in its own right. I never avoid subjects just because I've photographed them before. There is always a possibility of improving on past work - finding better lighting conditions, seeing an angle that you'd missed before and so on. For the same reason I'm always re-writing sections of my programming code. Some bits I've rewritten dozens of times because there's always a more efficient or more elegant way of doing it.

Alan

Not keen on heights so cliff edges (views from) are out for me.

Can't swim, and don't like water since an idiot pushed me into the deep end of a summing pool when I was 3 years old, so a lot of water shots are out too.

Allan

LOL Jeff, I'll be happy to share . . . but I found myself in the wrong post. I'm just up to my chine right now and have to go out. I may be having an issue with the way I have my AF set . . . but I'm not sure. 

(Peter, may I send you a question about the RX10 in a PM?)  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: 

An RX10 inner circle, is it?  :(  :( 

Not sharing information with others, are we?  :huh:  :huh: 

Shall those of us left out start a Tuesday PM PM club...?  <_<  <_< 

Jeff,

Of course you can! I can't guarantee a quick response because the e-mail I use for Alamy is an address I don't use for anything else so I only look at it when in trouble or bored.

I will check it daily now...

Here in Vancouver, where the average price for a single-family detached house is now almost 1.4 million dollars, just about anyone can become homeless.  

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/housing/vancouver-house-prices-hit-new-high/article17279408/

Come to Oklahoma, John. Hubby & I are living in a 4 bedroom, 2300 sq. ft brick home with fireplace, patio and courtyard. 2 living areas, the smaller area, a 12x12 is my office overlooking the front yard through a picture window. 

We paid $86,000 for it 28 years ago and it is now probably worth 135,000.  Besides that, we have some of the friendliest people in the world.  That's why, after the Oklahoma City bombing, a phrase was often used by the media called "The Oklahoma Standard."

• 1 month later...

Hello. I'm new to Alamy. I have been put off adding iages by my confusion over legal issues concerning licence rights and visible strangers in my photographs. But reading this thread I gather you can put pretty much anything on Alamy. I take a lot of street photography images. Would I be able to put these on line? I have no model release or any sort of permission. Your comments will be welcomed.

he only thing she is wearing is her ankle monitor so her parole officer could continue to keep track of her.

Hmmm, sexy felons. I'm making notes...

Alamy only returned 1 image when I searched for sexy felons, so this could definitely be an area to work on! (I didn't feel too comfortable typing those words in as I am at work.)

Hello. I'm new to Alamy. I have been put off adding iages by my confusion over legal issues concerning licence rights and visible strangers in my photographs. But reading this thread I gather you can put pretty much anything on Alamy. I take a lot of street photography images. Would I be able to put these on line? I have no model release or any sort of permission. Your comments will be welcomed.

Hi.

So long as they are Rights Managed (as they would be when you confirm in "Manage Images" that you don't have a model release) and are then used only for editorial, rather than commercial purposes, images with identifiable people are fine.

Here in Vancouver, where the average price for a single-family detached house is now almost 1.4 million dollars, just about anyone can become homeless.  

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/housing/vancouver-house-prices-hit-new-high/article17279408/

Come to Oklahoma, John. Hubby & I are living in a 4 bedroom, 2300 sq. ft brick home with fireplace, patio and courtyard. 2 living areas, the smaller area, a 12x12 is my office overlooking the front yard through a picture window. 

We paid $86,000 for it 28 years ago and it is now probably worth 135,000.  Besides that, we have some of the friendliest people in the world.  That's why, after the Oklahoma City bombing, a phrase was often used by the media called "The Oklahoma Standard."

Can we all come?!  Cheapest 4-bed property in my town currently goes for around the equivalent of US$400,000.  That's for a terraced house.  I think it has an indoor loo... ;):D

Hi.

So long as they are Rights Managed (as they would be when you confirm in "Manage Images" that you don't have a model release) and are then used only for editorial, rather than commercial purposes, images with identifiable people are fine.

Thanks for the advise. Looking forward to lading some.

Archived