I need a new bag badly.  Its for my smaller kit (XPro 1 with three lenses)... I have a lovely old Billingham that I don't really want to get rid of, but maybe I should look at whats on offer now... any ideas?

Here's the old bag...

http://www.markboltonphotography.co.uk/billingham-camera-bag/

Cheers all for your thoughts!  Mark

I got rid of the larger of my two Billingham bags and was happy to see it go - sold it on Ebay for a preposterous price.  Carrying one of those around is as good for your health as a week standing over a tank of fixer.  I have a smaller B bag which contains a Hasselblad V and two lenses, which I keep just in case the oil and gas supplies run out.  That's some overpriced junk inside some more overpriced junk.

Nowadays Lowenpro backpacks do just fine.

RB

I still have an old Billingham bag which is at least 30 years old which I still use when I only want to take a camera and lens and want to keep them hidden away till I actually need to use them. 

Is your old bag not useable any more? Theres a lot to be said for keeping camera equipment in a battered old looking bag from the safety POV

Kumar

I agree Doc. I use a small, cheap canvas bag for my X-E1 and 2 lenses etc. I will continue to use it wth my X-T1 that arrives tomorrow.

It is nicely understated, discreet and light. Love Billingham bags but they are heavy even before you put anything in them!

Biggest mistake I ever made was selling an old Billingham, like Mark's it had many years of service and I was beguiled by the charms of a Lowepro magnum....it fell out of shape after a number of years but never really looked the part.

Mark, get Billingham to repair the bag......you'll soon get enough wear on the strap that it fits right in. Turn up at a stately home or boutique hotel with anything but a Billingham and people will wonder.........

The Biilinghams are like a fine wine. The older the better. They age so gracefully. Maturity really does become them.

Like others I've had mine for some 30 years. It's a member of the family. It's my go to bag for long trips but rarely used locally. For this I keep my small mirrorless kit in a Contax G bag. Perfect for three lenses and a body. Again a great small bag which I've had for years.

I have two Billinghams, one the Billingham 307 from the 90’s that will be with me until the end, and the Billingham 25 Rucksack Backpack that I not longer use it. The Billingham 307 knows already half of the World and is looking forward to see the other half :)

yep, will definitely keep it whatever, but I thought Id check to see if there was another option I could buy too... I think bags and straps are a bit of an obsession with many of us photographers? I think I'll ask Billingham if they can help... cheers, I'll let you know what they say!

I was using the Domke Postal pads for all of my non-Domke bags but Ed the Upstrap look better and lighter. My hair got long and the Postal pads are heavy and pulling my hair to the point of pain.

L

After a long time doing so, I've decided that I don't like using an Upstrap on my cameras, especially with my newer, lighter Sonys. But it is so amazingly good on a camera bag. No matter if the load you carry is heavy or light, the Upstrap just stays where you put it, no adjusting or fiddling around needed. 

As a shoe repairer in my other life I would say - go to your local haberdashery shop and buy some webbing strap that is the best match colour and width wise and take it to your local cobbler who should be more that happy to unpick the old straps and replace with your new ones.C5W5NG.jpg

I have a small Billingham.   I got the black version as it is lower key than the khaki colour.   Excellent bag for a small camera with interchangeable lenses.

It is a good job that I like it as it will certainly outlast me.....

I have an old large (550?) Billingham I bought in 1984 which was in use every day for years for a comprehensive Nikon kit. Strap was frayed and a zip was gone. Billingham replaced the strap and zip a couple of years ago and it now has years of use still left. Very expensive, even in the 1980's but in terms of pound for pound value, worth it. I use it now for carrying spare 10" x 8" film holders and a couple of lenses plus spot meter, notebooks and other bits and bobs. It gets trundled about in some wet, boggy places, generally gets very hard use and it terms of looks, certainly not a fashion statement any longer. In terms of usefulness though still does the job well. 

Started with Billingham in the early 80s and hated it. It was too wide, overpriced, it looked like a camera bag and I over-filled it anyway.

Moved on to Domke until my back almost proved to be my undoing and (many years of osteopathic benches later) now use a generic rucksack that looks anonymous.

I do think however, we get too obsessed with bags and pouches and not enough with the making of good pictures.

I agree about the bag obsession. I now avoid "camera" bags as I find them too obvious and most are too overpadded as a working bag. Now I have gone to Fuji X system I use a small nondescript (unpadded) canvas bag I bought in France for €15 or like Richard I use a small generic backpack.

Probably 30 years ago I bought the VERY BIG canvas Billingham with additional pockets. When I filled it with kit I could barely lift it and I was a lot younger and fitter then.So it never got a lot of use; I now use it as a weekend bag for clothes etc when travelling by car; still stylish though,

Archived