Ok, its obvious that I am being voted down for being me, instead of what I say. 

I am sure this post will be voted down as well, so be it. 

I remember some folks saying on the old forum that some features were not needed or didnt belong to Alamy forum. Votes was one of them. Yet it seems the voting system is quite popular. 

I have no problem being voted down when a comment deserves it, I know I am quite direct, and wear my heart on my sleeve. But at the moment I am being voted down for asking questions, thanking people and mentioning my QC waiting time. I figured we were all grown ups here and that the new forum has a higher quality of discussions. 

Fair enough, so why the childish voting down of normal posts. I am sure Alamy can check if its the work of one person, but my suggestion is that we keep the voting honest and directed at what is said not the person. 

Even I am not voting people down because we have gone loggerheads in the past, I judge the comment, not the person. 

Rant over, carry on. 

Yes, your negative 'reputation' will effect your credit rating and job prospects. Your insurance premiums will go up. Friends will disappear...

Actually, I agree with you (despite enjoying a splendid 'reputation'... until my next ill-timed joke). Pressing buttons is just another puerile preoccuptaion of the online life. Can we dispense with it, Alamy? Please?

Probably a matter of tone, plus your reputation going before you. In a response to a thread you started and to which I contributed, you said..

"Thank you. I know its RM. "

This was not to my response I might add, and I do not use the voting buttons, but I could imagine that being taken the wrong way as being sarcastic for someone pointing out the obvious, even if it was not meant that way.  

Only 5 !!!! - I've had nine negs - one on a posting saying that I had made a mistake - but then I am a contentious grumpy old sod......

Seriously John Morrison has got it right (above)  - it is not a feature that we need.....

As a gesture of goodwill I've pressed the reset button and you now (13.44hrs 9th May) are neutered (I think that is the right word ) 

(The reset button is the purple one with green stripes on the top left hand corner)

Well, you are dealing with foreign people here, I am Dutch, not English, I thanked him and mentioned I know it had to be RM. But if people feel the need to vote such post down, then I think the voting system is overshooting the goal. Lets not get too sensitive. I have no idea how else to say that I know it has to be RM. Forums do not have tone, its plain text. 

I think some people are trigger happy. 

David, I was at -7 when I posted this thread, but it was more the comments that received the votes down. 

I thanked him and mentioned I know it had to be RM. But if people feel the need to vote such post down, then I think the voting system is overshooting the goal. 

I would probably have said the same thing so I'm rather puzzled at the response.

I can't see how clicking a button can be regarded as a meaningful contribution to the forum.

Ok, its obvious that I am being voted down for being me, instead of what I say. 

I am sure this post will be voted down as well, so be it. 

I remember some folks saying on the old forum that some features were not needed or didnt belong to Alamy forum. Votes was one of them. Yet it seems the voting system is quite popular. 

I have no problem being voted down when a comment deserves it, I know I am quite direct, and wear my heart on my sleeve. But at the moment I am being voted down for asking questions, thanking people and mentioning my QC waiting time. I figured we were all grown ups here and that the new forum has a higher quality of discussions. 

Fair enough, so why the childish voting down of normal posts. I am sure Alamy can check if its the work of one person, but my suggestion is that we keep the voting honest and directed at what is said not the person. 

Even I am not voting people down because we have gone loggerheads in the past, I judge the comment, not the person. 

Rant over, carry on. 

The vote/reputation system will remain in place unless we feel it is not working. It's too early to say right now how effective / ineffective it is.

For the record, as admins, we can view who is giving reputation to who so if there is any 'abuse' of the system, we can tackle it as required.

Thanks

I would like to stress a point made by Semmik Photo - a lot of members of this forum do not have English as their first language.

Although many Dutch people do have a better command of the English language than the majority of Brits (Mr Semmik is doing pretty well himself), it is not something that should be assumed. Being polite in a foreign language is not only difficult, but also in the eye of the beholder.

Deliberate rudeness is usually easy to spot - not quite finding the right tone is a different matter and should be subject to benefit of the doubt. 

I can order a pizza and a beer in several languages - I wouldn't dare contribute to a discussion forum like this in most of them.

(P.S.  I notice the Alamy Administrator has two stars - is that out of five?)

I slewed the Reputation of Semmick Photo/Ronald at about 1.45pm today - simply by going through his posts and +ing him until he was neutered - which all goes to show that the system has little or no value whatever. 

The fact that Alamy can monitor who does what and give them a smack on the wrist makes me feel back in school - and that was a long, long time ago....

Why not award your reputation points to the suppliers of the best 'Answers' ........or better still re-think the whole thing......John Morrison hits the nail on the head yet again (think I'll go an 'Plus' him)....

Look under 'Reputation' in your Profile page - or the green/red boxes on the right-hand side of your posting - you know you've got 'em - but not who gifted them to you.....

If everyone filled in their location perhaps overseas contributors would be given a bit more leeway with posts that are perhaps not quite as "polite" as it might at first appear (not specifically the case in this instance, I might add).  I've never understood why some people are reluctant to state their location but perhaps I'm missing something?

Oops - just noticed that my location has disappeared.  What happened to it - it was always there before.  It's Sheffield, anyway.

Chris

I am Dutch, live in Ireland. Location is Dublin, but mother tongue is Dutch.

@ Phil, I agree, my English is fine, I work as account manager for an American company, I write and speak English professionally. But getting the tone and quirks of a foreign language is not easily adapted.

I dont know if saying, 'Thank you. I know its RM'. is rude or not. Apparently it is. To me it just says what it says. Maybe in English I had to write a full sentence of the RM part and add a smiley.

I have and will continue to use the green button. 

I haven't used and will continue not to use either button. If it worked like Facebook where you can see who has 'liked' your post (and even more so if it bettered Facebook and showed you who disliked the post) I would use it, but I'm not interested in being part of an anonymous grading system. It doesn't seem very professional or even adult to me.

Ron: it's nothing to do with not being English. It's all to do with the different nature of electronic communication. A matter-of-fact statement can easily sound sarcastic to those who are programmed to see the negative side of everything. We've all had to learn to live with this new method of communicating and I'm sure many of us have made the same mistake at an early stage of our internet careers.

Alan

I have now developed an unhealthy interest in my 'Reputation' and am distressed to see that it has plummetted by four red marks this afternoon alone ! I may not sleep well tonight.......

I've got a suggestion - keep the Green button if you must, throw the Red one away, it is too tempting for the children on the Forum - they can show their displeasure, or whatever it is, by NOT pressing the Green button, and sad old buffers like myself will not have sleepless nights worrying.

Been on here a lot in the last couple of days - all my vegetable seedlings are ready to go out but the weather is thwarting me - so I've photographed them and they are now the last entries in my 'images' folder.......back to the real world !

That's a total of fourteen red marks - I'd have been some sort of Alamy God if you blighters had left me alone - now wasting my time to hack into the moderator's secret files - I'll find you, and retribution will be mine !!!!!

Yes, your negative 'reputation' will effect your credit rating and job prospects. Your insurance premiums will go up. Friends will disappear...

Actually, I agree with you (despite enjoying a splendid 'reputation'... until my next ill-timed joke). Pressing buttons is just another puerile preoccuptaion of the online life. Can we dispense with it, Alamy? Please?

I just ignore the silly buttons. But then I didn't have any job prospects to begin with.

> I am being voted down for being me

Its not you.

Its your scary avatar.

Change it to a puppy or kitty.

Popularity will follow.

Or a photo of yourself when you were young and cute!!!! I do like the idea of keeping the green button and using it when someone has given a very good answer. I would enjoy "rewarding" people for taking the time and thought to be helpful. Of course, that can be done in a post so maybe I've changed my mind and would like to see the buttons go away.

Paulette

Hi Ron!   just saw this thread, blimey I went into my profile page expecting to have twice as many negatives then you. I am neutral!!  can you blieve that?  I dont like being a boring goody two shoes so can I have some minus votes please. Makes up for the lack of sales actually.

Archived