July 2024 Favourite Uploads

A few new uploads. We spent a week in an Air BnB cottage in the Brecon Beacons, Wales last week. Most the images are from our hikes around the area

The Upper Ddwli Falls or Upper Gushing Falls.

the-upper-ddwli-falls-or-upper-gushing-f

Sgwd Yr Eira Falls. A lot of these well known sites were really busy with youngsters filming for social media sites. 

walkers-and-visitors-to-the-brecon-beaco

Hendryd Falls, the highest falls in South Wales. This was a 10 mile walk and the only people we saw for the first 5 miles was a couple visiting from California.

2XK73ME.jpg

The summit of Corn Du looking back towards South Wales

brecon-beacons-wales-a-lone-female-walke

Strange Welsh road signs. I had to look it up but pretty much worked out what it was all about

wales-uk-a-traffic-information-sign-advi

A Comma butterfly eyeing up some berry bushes kept safe behind the netting

2XK73CA.jpg

A bee on the lavender in our garden

2XK73BY.jpg

My Granddaughters nail art 

2XK73PR.jpg

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Steve Hyde said:

Strange Welsh road signs. I had to look it up but pretty much worked out what it was all about

Lorries banned. Penalty: Big space laser out of Die Another Day.*

*Yes, I know it was a solar energy reflector but "big space directed-energy weapon" doesn't have much of a ring to it.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

Cats slogan on rear of car

cats-slogan-on-rear-of-car-2XKCD9F.jpg

Wood carving of the Lincoln Imp, Tesco, Wragby road, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England, UK

wood-carving-of-the-lincoln-imp-tesco-wr

assorted shoe horns

assorted-shoe-horns-2XKCD98.jpg

Small tortoiseshell butterfly feeding on purple flowers 

small-tortoiseshell-butterfly-feeding-on

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Some recent images from Perth, Western Australia.

The Grill'd burger restaurant in Leederville.

the-grilld-burger-restaurant-on-the-corn

The Subiaco Hotel.

vertical-image-of-the-subiaco-hotel-on-t

Detail of an apartment building in the Subi Centro development in Subiaco.

a-modern-apartment-building-including-a-

Peters by the Sea at Scarborough Beach. This place has been running since 1952. In the mid 1980s when the area was radically redeveloped the owners were offered a sum to sell up but refused. So a big hotel and retail development happened all around it while this original shop remains to this day.

peters-by-the-sea-a-casual-eatery-since-

A man carrying a surfboard on his head at Scarborough Beach.

a-man-walking-along-scarborough-beach-ba

People enjoying the late afternoon near sunset at the amphitheatre and lookout points at Scarborough Beach.

people-enjoying-the-sunset-at-scarboroug

Young people in silhouette enjoying the sunset at Scarborough Beach.

young-people-in-silhouette-enjoying-the-

The Scarborough Beach Pool building in the glow of the almost setting sun with the Scarborough Hand sculpture in front of it.

the-modern-scarborough-beach-pool-buildi

• Love 1
  • Like 1

A few from me:

Flower stalk of the Japanese hardy banana with overlapping bracts hiding the flowers and fruit developing.  2 stems currently flowering in my own garden.

flower-stalk-of-the-japanese-hardy-banan

View of part of the newly opened court garden at Trebah sub tropical garden, Mawnan Smith, Cornwall, UK

view-of-part-of-the-newly-opened-court-g

Exotic planting at Tremenheere, Penzance, UK with Musa basjoo and Dicksonia antarctica

exotic-planting-at-tremenheere-penzance-

Ornamental succulent display at Surreal Succulents, Tremenheere Sculpture Garden, Penzance, UK

ornamental-succulent-display-at-surreal-

Green tinged white flowers of the half-hardy to hardy tendril climbing passion flower, Passiflora 'Snow Queen' in my own garden

green-tinged-white-flowers-of-the-half-h

Mallard bridge and Hydrangea macrophylla at Trebah sub troical gardens, Cornwall, UK

mallard-bridge-and-hydrangea-macrophylla

• Love 2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

A few from me:

Flower stalk of the Japanese hardy banana with overlapping bracts hiding the flowers and fruit developing.  2 stems currently flowering in my own garden.

View of part of the newly opened court garden at Trebah sub tropical garden, Mawnan Smith, Cornwall, UK

Exotic planting at Tremenheere, Penzance, UK with Musa basjoo and Dicksonia antarctica

Ornamental succulent display at Surreal Succulents, Tremenheere Sculpture Garden, Penzance, UK

Green tinged white flowers of the half-hardy to hardy tendril climbing passion flower, Passiflora 'Snow Queen' in my own garden

Mallard bridge and Hydrangea macrophylla at Trebah sub troical gardens, Cornwall, UK

So nice to visit gardens with you.

Paulette

• Love 1

1 hour ago, John Richmond said:

A few from me:

I agree with Paulette, John. It is really peaceful and therapeutic looking at your garden images, almost as good as being there because you capture them so well.

A hot and very humid summer. Most life at night…

A mother of many

2XK8CY8.jpg

A chorus singer

2XK8CYA.jpg

Night. Moon. Spider. #1

2XK8D2M.jpg

Night. Moon. Spider. #2

2XK8D24.jpg

Share, holder!

2XFHN7B.jpg

One of a few manual focus stacking exercises

2XK8D1Y.jpg

Edited by IKuzmin
  • Love 3
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, IKuzmin said:

A hot and very humid summer. Most life at night…

A mother of many

2XK8CY8.jpg

A chorus singer

2XK8CYA.jpg

Night. Moon. Spider. #1

2XK8D2M.jpg

Night. Moon. Spider. #2

2XK8D24.jpg

Share, holder!

2XFHN7B.jpg

One of a few manual focus stacking exercises

2XK8D1Y.jpg

Wow, stunning images! The spider with all the spiderlings is amazing! Wonderful to capture the frog in song too. The focus stacking has worked really well on that last one. I hope they get licensed, maybe in a nature magazine or biology textbook.

Edited by Sally Robertson
mistake
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Sally Robertson said:

Wow, stunning images! The spider with all the spiderlings is amazing! Wonderful to capture the frog in song too. The focus stacking has worked really well on that last one. I hope they get licensed, maybe in a nature magazine or biology textbook.

Ditto what Sally wrote! Stunning wildlife photos!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

I agree with Paulette, John. It is really peaceful and therapeutic looking at your garden images, almost as good as being there because you capture them so well.

Glad you both enjoyed them - I certainly enjoyed taking them.

• Love 1

A few more from our last dive trip. I saw quite a few things I'd never seen before in my 45 years underwater. The first 2 are new to me, and neither represented on Alamy either.
Teddy Bear Crab, Polydectus cupulifer. With Sea Anemones Telmatactis decora held in chela claws

teddy-bear-crab-polydectus-cupulifer-wit

Mole Shrimp or Snub Nose Shrimp, Latreutes bicornis

mole-shrimp-or-snub-nose-shrimp-latreute

Dwarfgoby, either Trimma halonevum, or Trimma macrophthalmus. Pair of fish guarding their eggs

dwarfgoby-either-trimma-halonevum-or-tri

Brittle Star, Ophiotrichidae, probably Ophiothrix sp or Ophiopteron sp. Appears to be an undescribed species.

brittle-star-ophiotrichidae-probably-oph

• Love 3
  • Like 1

Pet sitting Raff, a British Bulldog

We were ushered through the front door into the inner sanctum, a place where all the blinds were pulled down, no lights on, dark as pitch with only a crack of sunlight on the owner’s wizened face, yellowed teeth highlighted by bright red lipstick, and quavering voice. After sitting for an hour and a half in near darkness, being deluged with instructions on how to care for the property, we still hadn’t caught a glimpse of the dog. I was growing very suspicious. Usually, the first step in pet sitting is to introduce the new sitter to the pet for a sniffathon to see if they like each other.

At long last, she directed us through the gloom to a door where we could hear pandemonium on the other side, snorting, banging, muffled moaning and sniffing. From the bowels of the house, the beast was stirring. As she gingerly opened the door, this bulldozer of a beast, more wombat-like than dog,  launched itself on our surprised party. A tornado of a 40kg apparition barged past us. The owner quickly grabbed a spray bottle and sprayed a copious amount of water onto his face. It’s the only way to calm him down, she said. Yeah, perhaps for 30 seconds… She couldn’t control him and was afraid of him…

2XKYAK1.jpg

2XKYANB.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, gvallee said:

We were ushered through the front door into the inner sanctum, a place where all the blinds were pulled down, no lights on, dark as pitch with only a crack of sunlight on the owner’s wizened face, yellowed teeth highlighted by bright red lipstick, and quavering voice. After sitting for an hour and a half in near darkness, being deluged with instructions on how to care for the property, we still hadn’t caught a glimpse of the dog. I was growing very suspicious. Usually, the first step in pet sitting is to introduce the new sitter to the pet for a sniffathon to see if they like each other.

At long last, she directed us through the gloom to a door where we could hear pandemonium on the other side, snorting, banging, muffled moaning and sniffing. From the bowels of the house, the beast was stirring. As she gingerly opened the door, this bulldozer of a beast, more wombat-like than dog,  launched itself on our surprised party. A tornado of a 40kg apparition barged past us. The owner quickly grabbed a spray bottle and sprayed a copious amount of water onto his face. It’s the only way to calm him down, she said. Yeah, perhaps for 30 seconds… She couldn’t control him and was afraid of him…

2XKYAK1.jpg

2XKYANB.jpg

There must be more to this story. I hope you were not consumed. Send proof of life.

Paulette

• Love 2

12 minutes ago, NYCat said:

There must be more to this story. I hope you were not consumed. Send proof of life.

Paulette

😆 Still alive, just. The dog busted my right knee on day 1. There are no obstacles in his eyes, we are invisible. He just head-butted my knee, twisting it. I can barely walk. 

However, after 5 days, he turned out to be a lovely dog, not a threat at all. I channelled my inner Cesar Millan and he even obeys me now. He is so incredibly strong that you just have to stand away from his trajectory. 

It makes me sad, it's just the wrong match owner/pet. She's an old Lady not suited to his boisterous character.

• Love 1

9 hours ago, gvallee said:

2XKYAK1.jpg

2XKYANB.jpg

This post reads like the start of a juicy novel!! 😃

• Love 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Michael Ventura said:

This post reads like the start of a juicy novel!! 😃

We were in shock, thinking what have we commited to? It's turning out alright, a huge property by a river. Free accommodation for one month while I wait for follow up medical appointments for my cataract op.

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1

Detail from the Madaba map, 6th. century CE mosaic atlas of the world, Church of St. George, Madaba, Jordan.

"Holy city of Jerusalem".

2XKHYCY.jpg

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

We were in shock, thinking what have we commited to? It's turning up alright, a huge property by a river. Free accommodation for one month while I wait for follow up medical appointments for my cataract op.

I agree with Michael. That was an engaging piece of prose Gen. Have you thought of adding short stories to your creative endeavours while travelling in Oz? You would have so many experiences to write about with all the characters you have encountered. And Raff the dog sounds like a great character too, even if a bit boisterous. I hope your knee is ok?!

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

😆 Still alive, just. The dog busted my right knee on day 1. There are no obstacles in his eyes, we are invisible. He just head-butted my knee, twisting it. I can barely walk. 

However, after 5 days, he turned out to be a lovely dog, not a threat at all. I channelled my inner Cesar Millan and he even obeys me now. He is so incredibly strong that you just have to stand away from his trajectory. 

It makes me sad, it's just the wrong match owner/pet. She's an old Lady not suited to his boisterous character.

Are you sure he can actually see you? Or at that distance? They have so many health problems, this could just be one more. Aren't these the dogs with the shortest life span?

wim