My Alamy Upload Has Stopped Working

There have been a few issues with the Alamy website on Chrome recently. It takes ages to load a search (or just doesn't happen), for example.

Edited by Ognyan Yosifov

12 hours ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

There have been a few issues with the Alamy website on Chrome recently. It takes ages to load a search (or just doesn't happen), for example.

For a few days I can't log in on Chrome so I use Firefox which lets me in fine and let me upload today. In Chrome my cursor hovers over 'sign in' but nothing happens when I click it. 

19 minutes ago, zxzoomy said:

For a few days I can't log in on Chrome so I use Firefox which lets me in fine and let me upload today. In Chrome my cursor hovers over 'sign in' but nothing happens when I click it. 

Firefox it is. The only issue for me in Chrome is getting search results.

11 hours ago, NYCat said:

Interesting that other people are having difficulty with search. I use Safari.

Paulette

Ditto

Allan

The Alamy upload fixed itself. I use Safari and that's what I want to continue to use. I edited and uploaded 6 new images and they went right through. The three I was having trouble with yesterday still won't budge. I deleted them. Take that! 

I've been having quite a few issues with Safari too. Sometimes, especially on Alamy, the current tab just freezes. Opening a new tab works. Image searches on Alamy sometimes appear to just hang. Brave and Chrome seem OK though. No idea what's going on.

Mark

does anyone else deliver via ftp?
is there upper limit on character length of folder name?
I sent "MX-FL231126-29-JPGs27MB-222-Alamy+11"
it transferred OK, ended with usual "church bell gong"
but didn't show at Alamy's end...
could be longest folder name I've ever sent...
I know there's no issue with "+" as I've included it before...
if you know, please...
otherwise, awaiting IM response...

On 10/03/2024 at 18:01, M.Chapman said:

I've been having quite a few issues with Safari too. Sometimes, especially on Alamy, the current tab just freezes. Opening a new tab works. Image searches on Alamy sometimes appear to just hang. Brave and Chrome seem OK though. No idea what's going on.

Mark

I’ve previously informed them of Safari issues particularly in relation to search  but never seems to be properly fixed

• 1 month later...

I don't use FTP because I'm still unsure the the destination path I need to specify and my uploads are less frequent these days so it doesn't seem worth investing the time / grey matter. Question though, is it possible to upload files from 2 or more web browsers simultaneously? I was thinking, if I didn't want to sit around waiting for stuff to complete,  I could start one upload in Safari, start another one using Chrome, and if needs dictate go and put the kettle on while a third starts using Firefox. Would that work or is it IP address aware? Any thoughts?

31 minutes ago, Jansos said:

I don't use FTP because I'm still unsure the the destination path I need to specify and my uploads are less frequent these days so it doesn't seem worth investing the time / grey matter. Question though, is it possible to upload files from 2 or more web browsers simultaneously? I was thinking, if I didn't want to sit around waiting for stuff to complete,  I could start one upload in Safari, start another one using Chrome, and if needs dictate go and put the kettle on while a third starts using Firefox. Would that work or is it IP address aware? Any thoughts?

If you're finding uploads are slow I'd check your broadband upload speed first using one of the online broadband speedcheckers, as that's probably where the "bottleneck" is. If it is then using more browsers won't give any benefit. 

Mark

• Like 1

5 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

If you're finding uploads are slow I'd check your broadband upload speed first using one of the online broadband speedcheckers, as that's probably where the "bottleneck" is. If it is then using more browsers won't give any benefit. 

Mark

Thanks. Not so much a speed constriction just the ability to set-up multiple uploads and leave them to get on with it while I go and do something more worthwhile. I don’t like uploading in big batches just in case one pic gets rejected and screws up the entire upload. Suppose I’m going to have to go and try it.

Uploads working well here using Safari. Have also Chrome and Firefox as backups. Using macOS Ventura on a 12" i7 16GB 512G storage MacBook Retina, small and very light. Just testing with my phone's hotspot via 5G before leaving home for the day.

18 hours ago, Jansos said:

I don’t like uploading in big batches just in case one pic gets rejected and screws up the entire upload. Suppose I’m going to have to go and try it.

But, if an image in a submission fails QC, then any other submissions that are also in the QC queue will also be rejected. So that's not a good time saving strategy, unless you wait for each submission to pass QC before uploading the next. That can be quite quick, if you have a very good QC rating, as "QC approval" is often immediate.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

On 13/04/2024 at 13:34, M.Chapman said:

But, if an image in a submission fails QC, then any other submissions that are also in the QC queue will also be rejected. So that's not a good time saving strategy, unless you wait for each submission to pass QC before uploading the next. That can be quite quick, if you have a very good QC rating, as "QC approval" is often immediate.

Mark

I didn't realise that. Does that mean that if one photo, in one particular batch, is rejected during QC, then any other but separate batches waiting in QC are also rejected?

38 minutes ago, Jansos said:

I didn't realise that. Does that mean that if one photo, in one particular batch, is rejected during QC, then any other but separate batches waiting in QC are also rejected?

That is correct.

2 hours ago, sb photos said:

That is correct.

Wow, that’s a bit draconian. Thanks for making that clear. Will have to rethink my time saving tactics! 👍

4 hours ago, Jansos said:

Wow, that’s a bit draconian.

Not really. If Alamy QC find a defective image it indicates the contributor's own inspection standards or process can't be relied on. So Alamy are simply asking the contributor to recheck the images that have just been submitted. This practice is quite common in "Goods Inwards inspection" in industry.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

5 hours ago, Jansos said:

Wow, that’s a bit draconian. Thanks for making that clear. Will have to rethink my time saving tactics! 👍

This has always been the QC policy. As a 10-year veteran I'm surprised you don't know it.

With 24k images you'd have been likely to find out about it the hard way if you had lax QC yourself, but now you know.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1