February 2024 Favourite uploads

Bryan

A mixed bag of uploads for me this week. We had a plumber in to install a new upright radiator so we could free up a house wall. He was quite happy for me to take a few pics of him soldering the pipes etc. That led to me killing some time, whilst he was working away, with a few inside shots before getting out the paint to redecorate after the work was finished.

a-plumber-heating-copper-pipework-with-a

a-delonghi-magnifica-uk-household-bean-t

a-group-of-subbuteo-miniature-figures-pa

a-decorators-nylon-paint-brush-lying-acr

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 2
  • Like 2

I wasn’t sure this one would pass because of the blur. Her head & hands have motion blur but everything else is sharp. I risked it because it tells a story & shows action. One of my great granddaughters.

2WG2W41.jpg

My son’s & my shoes kicked off after coming through from the garage.

2WG2W2T.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

Towers Students union bar, University of Lincoln, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

towers-students-union-bar-university-of-

View of Lincoln Cathedral from Brayford, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

view-of-lincoln-cathedral-from-brayford-

There is also a vertical image of this with lots of blue sky for copy space.

LAC Lincoln Arts Centre and Students Union, The Engine Shed, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

lac-lincoln-arts-centre-and-students-uni

Bus held at railway crossing, Croft Lane, Cherry Willingham, Lincolnshire, England, UK

bus-held-at-railway-crossing-croft-lane-

View along Sincil Street to Lincoln castle on top of hill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

view-along-sincil-street-to-lincoln-cast

Only noticed when processing image there is a young woman in black with white shoes who looks as if she has stopped dead in her tracks (feet side by side) and looking at camera as if not sure what to do. Since I have noticed her I always see her now when looking at the image.

I have other photos like this with unseen content and I would like to bet that others are lurking in more contributors portfolios, maybe we should have a "show and see" in a new thread.

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 2

A bit of fun - for the dogs!

young-dalmatian-bull-terrier-cross-bitch

young-dalmatian-bull-terrier-cross-bitch

young-dalmatian-x-bull-terrier-bitch-and

My daughter's deerhound x greyhound and a friend's bull terrier x dalmatian.  Taken in a Cornish dog park after torrential rain.  Fortunately they had hosepipes on the site and we could get the dogs a bit cleaner before they went in the car.

• Love 2
  • Like 2

On 02/02/2024 at 17:53, Steve Hyde said:

He was quite happy for me to take a few pics of him soldering the pipes etc.

Now I know how they avoid toasting the skirting board, I can think about that new drain cock. Thanks.

49 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Now I know how they avoid toasting the skirting board, I can think about that new drain cock. Thanks.

That’s another job that needs doing here. Ours is seized solid. We turn the supply tot he house off at the water meter out in the street when we need to stop the water. 

The plumber was using a ‘plumbers soldering mat’ (I didn’t know that’s what they’re called, that’s from keyword research) to protect the wall and skirting. It was glowing red in this shot. I look forward to seeing the shots of your repair 🙂

a-plumber-heating-copper-pipework-with-a

Edited by Steve Hyde

A few more.

View up higher Steep Hill in winter sun, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

view-up-higher-steep-hill-in-winter-sun-

Leaning street light at junction of steep hill and Danesgate, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

leaning-street-light-at-junction-of-stee

LNER AZUMA train leaving Lincoln city station across High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

lner-azuma-train-leaving-lincoln-city-st

Clock tower of St Mary Le Wigford church from High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

clock-tower-of-st-mary-le-wigford-church

View to horizon over Lincoln city rooftops on misty day in winter, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

view-to-horizon-over-lincoln-city-roofto

Allan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Hyde said:

That’s another job that needs doing here. Ours is seized solid. We turn the supply tot he house off at the water meter out in the street when we need to stop the water. 

The plumber was using a ‘plumbers soldering mat’ (I didn’t know that’s what they’re called, that’s from keyword research) to protect the wall and skirting. It was glowing red in this shot. I look forward to seeing the shots of your repair 🙂

Not the water one, the heating one, at the lowest point, for draining down. It's got a spout for the hosepipe. and a square drive. Ours leaks so you have to put a mattress bag under it to keep the water out of the house when backfilling.

We tend to notice all this because we do central heating stuff ourselves as much as possible.

Incidentally it may be possible to free yours with a bit of heat, not much because it still has a rubber washer like a tap. But I guess your plumber will find out.

The trick to stop it happening (on the new one lol) is to open it fully then go back a quarter turn. That way you always have leverage if it sticks.

Edited by spacecadet

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Not the water one, the heating one, at the lowest point, for draining down. It's got a spout for the hosepipe. and a square drive. Ours leaks so you have to put a mattress bag under it to keep the water out of the house when backfilling.

We tend to notice all this because we do central heating stuff ourselves as much as possible.

Incidentally it may be possible to free yours with a bit of heat, not much because it still has a rubber washer like a tap. But I guess your plumber will find out.

The trick to stop it happening (on the new one lol) is to open it fully then go back a quarter turn. That way you always have leverage if it sticks.

Ahh, sorry, I misread that, trying to do to many things at once.  Thanks for the tip. Trying a bit of heat on it might be a option. Its in a really awkward place to get any decent leverage on it. I like to have a go myself with things around the house, partly because it so hard to get a decent tradesman around here, without having to wait a month or two. I'll tackle most things  but I leave plastering to the professionals plumbing wise I'm ok working with anything plastic or changing radiators or taps like for like, etc. I've never tried any pipe soldering or bending copper pipe though.

Edited by Steve Hyde

14 minutes ago, Steve Hyde said:

Ahh, sorry, I misread that, trying to do to many things at once.  Thanks for the tip. Trying a bit of heat on it might be a option. Its in a really awkward place to get any decent leverage on it. I like to have a go myself with things around the house, partly because it so hard to get a decent tradesman around here, without having to wait a month or two. I'll tackle most things  but I leave plastering to the professionals plumbing wise I'm ok working with anything plastic or changing radiators or taps like for like, etc. I've never tried any pipe soldering or bending copper pipe though.

If you don't have a blowtorch, the £6.99 ones off ebay that use camping cartridges (the cheap ones, not Campingaz) are great. I got one to shift a shock absorber mounting and I keep finding uses for it. Even used it to warm up some Dexion in the garage so it would take hot glue- otherwise it's so cold that it sets the glue straight away before you can get the carpet on it (now you're dying to ask why I was carpeting Dexion in the garage)😀

Edited by spacecadet

12 hours ago, spacecadet said:

If you don't have a blowtorch, the £6.99 ones off ebay that use camping cartridges (the cheap ones, not Campingaz) are great. I got one to shift a shock absorber mounting and I keep finding uses for it. Even used it to warm up some Dexion in the garage so it would take hot glue- otherwise it's so cold that it sets the glue straight away before you can get the carpet on it (now you're dying to ask why I was carpeting Dexion in the garage)😀

I’ll check out the blowtorch thank you for that. I have plenty of gas cartridges.

Shifting a shock absorber with a blowtorch. That takes me back to my Cortina MK3 days. 

Carpeting Dexion in your garage?  I have no idea 🙂

Edited by Steve Hyde

On 09/02/2024 at 17:55, Steve Hyde said:

Carpeting Dexion in your garage?  I have no idea 🙂

Something soft when opening the car door.

She's 23 and doesn't deserve any more chipped paint.

Edited by spacecadet

3 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Something soft when opening the car door.

She's 23 and doesn't deserve any more chipped paint.

Haha! I did that for my father. He obviously was not 23 at that time. My mother never needed it.

I had to google Dexion. Aha slotted angle!

wim

• Love 1

Chinese New Year 2024 in Chinatown, Bangkok, Thailand, South East Asia, on  Saturday, February 10th, 2024, starting a year of the wood dragon. A woman gives a 20 Thai baht banknote (about 50 British pence) to a dragon image statue in a temple.

2WHG2GC.jpg

• Like 2

A trio more from me

Snowdrop drifts at The Garden House, Buckland Monachorum, Devon.  I'm a volunteer there and do a lot of their photography, including documenting the 500+ species and varieties in the snowdrop collection.  It's looking good at the moment.

winter-view-of-the-snowdrop-drifts-galan

And, as a bonus, one of the snowdrops in the collection.  Fairly mundane, I know, but with the variety name of Galanthus 'Aunt Nellie's Danglers' how could I resist.

long-outer-perianth-segments-of-the-wint

• Love 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, John Richmond said:

A trio more from me

Snowdrop drifts at The Garden House, Buckland Monachorum, Devon.  I'm a volunteer there and do a lot of their photography, including documenting the 500+ species and varieties in the snowdrop collection.  It's looking good at the moment.

And, as a bonus, one of the snowdrops in the collection.  Fairly mundane, I know, but with the variety name of Galanthus 'Aunt Nellie's Danglers' how could I resist.

long-outer-perianth-segments-of-the-wint

Lovely garden images John. 

Young boy looking at hot steaming mixed vegtables ready to serve, Cornhill Market, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

young-boy-looking-at-hot-steaming-mixed-

KIEV -4A (type 2) rangefinder camera with lens cap

kiev-4a-type-2-rangefinder-camera-with-l

Customer being served at Organic skincare stall, Cornhill Market, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

customer-being-served-at-organic-skincar

Corner of fruit and vegetable stall, Saturday market, Cornhill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

corner-of-fruit-and-vegtable-stall-satur

Corner of fruit and vegetable and salad stall, Saturday market, Cornhill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

corner-of-fruit-and-vegtable-and-salad-s

Woman looking at jewellery on market stall, Cornhill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

woman-looking-at-jewellery-on-market-sta

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 2

A few more from me.

Deepest, darkest Somerset, Shepton Mallet..

a-uk-high-street-shop-selling-farrow-and

A classic album..

an-overhead-view-of-fdavid-bowie-vinyl-l

Home decorating..

bristol-uk-an-open-tin-of-farrow-and-bal

A Magpie in its natural UK habitat..

bristol-uk-a-magpie-sitting-on-the-edge-

My wife’s bookshelf..

2WJATER.jpg

2WJ7AB9.jpg

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 2

10 hours ago, John Richmond said:

A trio more from me

Beautiful images! That must be very interesting and fulfilling work. I've had one snowdrop come up in my yard and the deer ate it!

9 hours ago, KellyC said:

Beautiful images! That must be very interesting and fulfilling work. I've had one snowdrop come up in my yard and the deer ate it!

Thanks Kelly.  The Garden House is a 10 acre garden on the southern edge of Dartmoor, run by a charitable trust, and with a superb collection of interesting plants.  I've been a volunteer there since 2016, photographing the garden and plants at least once a week throughout the year.  As well as the photography I help with a lot of their marketing - contributing to their social media, writing for and liaison with gardening and other magazines - as well as other assistance as needed.  It's very rewarding and keeps me occupied now I'm retired.  

Oh, and the homemade cakes in their cafe are superb!

• Love 2

Some more.

Couple going for ride in Horse drawn carriage, Exchequer Gate, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

couple-going-for-ride-in-horse-drawn-car

Caution cat crossing sign at end of driveway, Cherry Willingham, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

caution-cat-crossing-sign-at-end-of-driv

Lincoln Cathedral shrouded in mist, Steep Hill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

lincoln-cathedral-shrouded-in-mist-steep

Mood lighting lamp

mood-lighting-lamp-2WJBJD2.jpg

The Cardinals Hat pub and restaurant undergoing restoration, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

the-cardinals-hat-pub-and-restaurant-und

Allan

• Love 1