December 2023 Favourite Uploads

gvallee

On 10/12/2023 at 21:10, Sally Robertson said:

Wow, more great pics Gen! I wish my Dad was still around to show him the ones of Cocos. When he lived there he posted a coconut to his Dad by writing the address on it. He worked as a weather observer/technician, doing daily weather measurements, sending up weather balloons etc. He worked at numerous locations around WA (Onslow, Carnarvon, Halls Creek, Esperance etc) and loved the itinerant life of jobs that took him all over the place. I think I have a bit of that in me too so maybe I will end up like you one day, in a mobile van travelling Oz.

The dry river bed is fascinating. I especially love the Red-footed Booby and Christmas Island Blue-tailed Skink. A funny story about the fat snake, though not funny for the skinks! Hopefully the population recovers well again. Such a fascinating environment.

An interested job your Dad had! I wish I had more pictures but we didn't stay on Cocos, and from the plane with my little Sony, I had a seat just behind the wing. Not easy to exclude it! 

• Love 1

20 hours ago, gvallee said:

An interested job your Dad had! I wish I had more pictures but we didn't stay on Cocos, and from the plane with my little Sony, I had a seat just behind the wing. Not easy to exclude it! 

You did well with the little Sony, especially given the wing. It’s a good little camera for being on a plane.

33 minutes ago, Sally Robertson said:

You did well with the little Sony, especially given the wing. It’s a good little camera for being on a plane.

Did you hear that Qantas just changed the rules about in-flight photography, aligning with Virgin Australia. No passengers/crews pix/videos without permission. Only landscapes through the window, no ground staff. No commercial photography. I had just uploaded some in-flight snacks (I licensed one before), so I removed the airline name in my tags and made it generic. 

Seated woman with vape and glasses, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

seated-woman-with-vape-and-glasses-high-

Jehovah's Witnesses leaflet stand, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

jehovahs-witnesses-leaflet-stand-high-st

Woman using mobile phone outside Cancer Research UK shop, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

woman-using-mobile-phone-outside-cancer-

Allan

• Love 2

11 hours ago, gvallee said:

Did you hear that Qantas just changed the rules about in-flight photography, aligning with Virgin Australia. No passengers/crews pix/videos without permission. Only landscapes through the window, no ground staff. No commercial photography. I had just uploaded some in-flight snacks (I licensed one before), so I removed the airline name in my tags and made it generic. 

No, I didn’t hear about it. There seem to be more and more restrictions. At least you can photograph landscapes out the window! In 2015, before I was doing stock, I was flying to Bhutan and had a magnificent view of Mt Everest out the window. Did I photograph it? No! 🤦‍♀️

Today on the ABC news website I saw this article about people being upset about a surf cam camera. It’s something I would never have thought to worry about but there are people trying to ban it. Not all residents are upset by it though. Despite an academic paper calling for its removal, the paper also conceded it is not breaking any laws. It brings up similar issues to those arising from stock photography and video. To me the surf cam camera seems

not only harmless but a useful resource and a way to recognise if conditions are safe as a resident comments at the end of the article.

Edit: sorry forgot to post link:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-13/controversial-surf-camera-winki-pop-bells-beach-vic-surf-coast/103203314

Edited by Sally Robertson
Forgot to post link
  • Love 2

Some more.

Galloping horses on carousel, Lincoln city, Lincolnshire, England, UK

galloping-horses-on-carousel-lincoln-cit

Passengers boarding single decker bus, Cherry Willingham, Lincolnshire, England, UK

passengers-boarding-single-decker-bus-ch

Police called to incident in Crown Court at Lincoln castle, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

police-called-to-incident-in-crown-court

Statue of Poet Alfred, Lord Tennyson and his Wolfhound Karenina in Lincoln Cathedral grounds, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

statue-of-poet-alfred-lord-tennyson-and-

Allan

• Love 1

Hope I am not putting people off posting on this thread.

The Treaty of Commerce public house lit up at night, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

the-treaty-of-commerce-public-house-lit-

Old Ritz Cinema and Theatre lit up at night, High street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

old-ritz-cinema-and-theatre-lit-up-at-ni

Allan

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Hope I am not putting people off posting on this thread.

Why would you? You made me discover a lovely town.

I'm struggling with keeping up with my editing but hopefully you'll see some new images in this thread in the next few days. After I've done the accounts... After we've dismantled and fixed the aircon problem.... I still haven't even downloaded and seen the images from Rottnest Island. So much to do, so little time...

Please keep sharing.

5 hours ago, gvallee said:

Why would you? You made me discover a lovely town.

I'm struggling with keeping up with my editing but hopefully you'll see some new images in this thread in the next few days. After I've done the accounts... After we've dismantled and fixed the aircon problem.... I still haven't even downloaded and seen the images from Rottnest Island. So much to do, so little time...

Please keep sharing.

Thank you Gen.

Like all cities it has its good parts and some not so good parts plus one or two downright awful parts. Only tend to take shots of the better parts like (what I call) the old town area. It is not known as that locally but I am trying to educate the locals.

I had a few to edit as well. Went out late on Thursday on a mission to take photos of the illuminated castle with illuminated wall walk plus children amusements and convenience refreshment stalls with lots of incidental illuminations.

Now I have a lot more to edit even after removing the duds. 

Used three cameras plus lenses and not a mono or tripod in sight.

Will start on them tomorrow (Saturday) but probably will not be uploading to A till Wednesday  next week.

Allan

• Love 2

Rottnest Island, off Perth, Western Australia, has stunning white sandy beaches with turquoise water and pink salt lakes.

It also is home to the iconic endangered quokka, a wallaby-like endearing marsupial.

It's an easy day trip from Fremantle on the Rottnest Express ferry. There are cafés and restaurants and bicycles are king. Magical!

2TD36RH.jpg

2TD36TP.jpg

2TD36WB.jpg

2TD36P0.jpg

2TD36KN.jpg

2TD36KM.jpg

A nesting colony of Fairy Terns spooked by a crow

2TD36K8.jpg

2TD36H8.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Some December 2023 night shots from London, UK.

Excess outside The Ritz (20 feet away)

london-uk-11th-dec-2023-a-bustling-and-d

Fortnum & Mason Advent Calendar (40 feet away)

london-uk-11th-dec-2023-a-bustling-evening-in-central-london-with-thousands-viewing-the-impressive-christmas-decorations-in-piccadilly-fortnum-mason-luxury-department-store-exterior-becomes-a-giant-advent-calendar-over-the-festive-season-credit-malcolm-parkalamy-2TCF36N.jpg

Crescent Moon with earthshine (238,855 miles away)

london-uk-8th-dec-2023-earthshine-sunlight-reflected-from-earth-illuminating-the-unlit-part-of-the-crescent-moon-credit-malcolm-parkalamy-live-news-2TBXP85.jpg

Planet Venus (38 million miles away)

the-planet-venus-photographed-early-morning-on-8th-december-2023-above-london-uk-using-an-astronomical-telescope-the-planet-is-shrouded-in-cloud-and-appears-featureless-2TBXD3G.jpg

Planet Jupiter (440 million miles away)

london-uk-6th-dec-2023-the-planet-jupiter-currently-382241473-miles-from-earth-visible-in-the-eastern-evening-sky-above-london-in-cold-clear-weather-with-the-great-red-spot-visible-in-the-lower-cloud-band-through-a-telescope-image-credit-malcolm-parkalamy-live-news-2TBE4BP.jpg

• Love 4
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, gvallee said:

Rottnest Island, off Perth, Western Australia, has stunning white sandy beaches with turquoise water and pink salt lakes.

It also is home to the iconic endangered quokka, a wallaby-like endearing marsupial.

It's an easy day trip from Fremantle on the Rottnest Express ferry. There are cafés and restaurants and bicycles are king. Magical!

2TD36RH.jpg

2TD36TP.jpg

2TD36WB.jpg

2TD36P0.jpg

2TD36KN.jpg

2TD36KM.jpg

A nesting colony of Fairy Terns spooked by a crow

2TD36K8.jpg

2TD36H8.jpg

Love seeing these Gen. Rottnest was an important place in my childhood. I’m very familiar with the scenes there. The first time we went I was 8 and had just got my first bike. It was safe for us kids to go off by ourselves on our bikes with the only vehicles being service vehicles and the island bus. Also, on that first visit when I was a child the army was still stationed there and you’d see an army vehicle with soldiers in it. The bays there are so beautiful aren’t they! It truly is a relaxing place where you can feel the relaxed island feel as soon as you get there. You probably just managed to avoid the busier school holidays.

I no longer live in Perth but I’m here at the moment but heading home Monday. I live in the south-west now. If you are down that way happy to catch up but no pressure to either as you may want to do your own thing. I’m visiting up here with a friend at present. Hope you are enjoying the warm weather. Possibly the chance of a thunderstorm tonight apparently.

• Love 1

13 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

Love seeing these Gen. Rottnest was an important place in my childhood. I’m very familiar with the scenes there. The first time we went I was 8 and had just got my first bike. It was safe for us kids to go off by ourselves on our bikes with the only vehicles being service vehicles and the island bus. Also, on that first visit when I was a child the army was still stationed there and you’d see an army vehicle with soldiers in it. The bays there are so beautiful aren’t they! It truly is a relaxing place where you can feel the relaxed island feel as soon as you get there. You probably just managed to avoid the busier school holidays.

I no longer live in Perth but I’m here at the moment but heading home Monday. I live in the south-west now. If you are down that way happy to catch up but no pressure to either as you may want to do your own thing. I’m visiting up here with a friend at present. Hope you are enjoying the warm weather. Possibly the chance of a thunderstorm tonight apparently.

It's still as you describe Sally, only the shuttle bus every half hour and the odd ute picking up exhausted cyclists or those with a flat e-bike battery. Very safe to cycle.

We did keep a sharp eye on school holidays and went there on the last day prior. We now give a wide berth to the coast and have veered inland to Kalgoorlie. We are currently regrouping to make plans for the next 4 months or so. Heat wave in the south, floods in the north, too hot for the Red Centre. We'll see. So sorry, we're not headed your way. Would have been nice to finally catch up. 

Have a Happy Christmas!

• Love 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

It's still as you describe Sally, only the shuttle bus every half hour and the odd ute picking up exhausted cyclists or those with a flat e-bike battery. Very safe to cycle.

We did keep a sharp eye on school holidays and went there on the last day prior. We now give a wide berth to the coast and have veered inland to Kalgoorlie. We are currently regrouping to make plans for the next 4 months or so. Heat wave in the south, floods in the north, too hot for the Red Centre. We'll see. So sorry, we're not headed your way. Would have been nice to finally catch up. 

Have a Happy Christmas!

You have a Happy Christmas too Gen! Yes, Rottnest is a wonderful, safe place. The last time I went was 2017 so have been a fair bit over the years.

Enjoy the Goldfields. My Dad was born and grew up at Gwalia (until age 16), which as you probably know has long been a ghost town now. My relatives helped do up the buildings of the town there for the centenary in 1996. I hope you get some reasonable weather out there. I love the remote country and one day I’d like to travel out of Laverton to Uluru, which I imagine you may have done before. All the best for your next adventure!

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Some Christmassy pics from me (the weather's been too grey this month for much else!).

Illuminated steam train at Alresford

1st-december-2023-steam-train-illuminati

Dirty Santa mountain biking event in the Surrey Hills

9th-december-2023-competitors-riding-the

9th-december-2023-competitors-riding-the

Hungerford Victorian Extravaganza event

8th-december-2023-the-hungerford-victori

• Like 3

Some from an illuminated Lincoln.

coloured illuminations on Lincoln cathedral from castle wall walk, Castle hill, exchequer gate, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

coloured-illuminations-on-lincoln-cathed

Yorkshire Pudding Wraps stall at night, Lincoln castle, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

yorkshire-pudding-wraps-stall-at-night-l

children's fairground from Lincoln castle wall walk, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

childrens-fairground-from-lincoln-castle

Children's roundabout at illuminated castle event, Lincoln castle, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

chidrens-roundabout-at-illuminated-castl

Spiral stairs to wall walk, Lincoln castle, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

spiral-stairs-to-wall-walk-lincoln-castl

Allan

• Love 2
  • Like 4

Some older images I recently re-edited from Perth, Western Australia.

Sunrise at Bull Creek, a tributary of the Cannning River.

boats-and-houseboats-at-sunrise-on-bull-

Boats and yachts in Freshwater Bay on the Swan River.

boats-and-yachts-with-reflections-on-fre

Man rowing a boat past yachts and boats from the Freshwater Bay Yacht Club on the Swan River.

man-rowing-a-boat-in-golden-light-past-b

Bushfire smoke from a prescribed burn to prevent wildfire creating orange and yellow hues over the Swan River at Bicton.

yachts-and-boats-on-the-swan-river-at-bi

Man and boy watching a wave break at Trigg Beach in early morning light just after coming out of the water.

man-with-a-bodyboard-and-boy-with-a-surf

• Love 3
  • Like 1