December 2023 Favourite Uploads

gvallee

Christmas lights in Cornhill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

christmas-lights-in-cornhill-lincoln-cit

View East along Viking Way, Lincolnshire, England, UK

view-east-along-viking-way-lincolnshire-

View East along river Witham late evening, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

view-east-along-river-witham-late-evenin

Christmas lights on High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

christmas-lights-on-high-street-lincoln-

Sunset behind St John the Evangelist church Washingborough, Lincolnshire, England, UK

sunset-behind-st-john-the-evangilist-chu

Good Night

Allan

• Love 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

OK, crabs. Or to be more precise, the world famous Red Crabs migration on Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean, Australia.

The migration starts with the first rainfall of the wet season, usually in October or November when 60 million crabs leave their forest homes and migrate to the shoreline to mate and spawn.

The exact timing and speed of the migration is determined by the phase of the moon. Red crabs always spawn before dawn on a receding high-tide during the last quarter of the moon. Incredibly, they know exactly when to leave their burrows to make this lunar date.

During our visit, after two good downpours, the rain stopped and the migration petered out. We didn’t mind as we still saw a good number of crabs on the move, and not all the roads were closed which allowed us to get to other points of interest, including stunning lookouts to photograph birds from a high viewpoint.

Also of great interest to us were the coconut/robber crabs, the world's biggest land crustaceans. They can weigh more than 4 kg and measure up to a metre across.

Then there were the Blue Crabs, swarming along freshwater streams in the rainforest.

All in all, a real feast for the eyes.

And now onto birds…

Red Crabs (Gecarcoidea natalis) 

2TAN4N8.jpg

Red Crab (Gecarcoidea natalis) 

2TAN4BY.jpg

Christmas Island Blue Crab (Tuerkayana hirtipes)

2TAN32E.jpg

Christmas Island Blue Crab (Tuerkayana hirtipes) eating Red Crab (Gecarcoidea natalis) 

2TAN33N.jpg

Coconut or Robber Crab (Birgus latro) 

2TAN39W.jpg

2TAN42Y.jpg

2TAN460.jpg

2TAN47T.jpg

2TAN3E8.jpg

2TAN3GX.jpg

Oh wow. Mother Nature has such an imagination. Thank you!

Paulette

• Love 2

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

OK, crabs. Or to be more precise, the world famous Red Crabs migration on Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean, Australia.

The migration starts with the first rainfall of the wet season, usually in October or November when 60 million crabs leave their forest homes and migrate to the shoreline to mate and spawn.

The exact timing and speed of the migration is determined by the phase of the moon. Red crabs always spawn before dawn on a receding high-tide during the last quarter of the moon. Incredibly, they know exactly when to leave their burrows to make this lunar date.

During our visit, after two good downpours, the rain stopped and the migration petered out. We didn’t mind as we still saw a good number of crabs on the move, and not all the roads were closed which allowed us to get to other points of interest, including stunning lookouts to photograph birds from a high viewpoint.

Also of great interest to us were the coconut/robber crabs, the world's biggest land crustaceans. They can weigh more than 4 kg and measure up to a metre across.

Then there were the Blue Crabs, swarming along freshwater streams in the rainforest.

And now onto birds…

2TAN4N8.jpg

2TAN4BY.jpg

2TAN32E.jpg

Christmas Island Blue Crab (Tuerkayana hirtipes) eating Red Crab (Gecarcoidea natalis) 

2TAN33N.jpg

2TAN39W.jpg

2TAN42Y.jpg

2TAN460.jpg

2TAN47T.jpg

2TAN3E8.jpg

2TAN3GX.jpg

Fantastic crab pics Gen! I love them. I'm glad you got a balance of crab action plus some open roads to explore other options including birds. I look forward to seeing the birds. Those Robber Crabs are impressive and look like something from a sci fi movie.

I photographed some Purple Rock Crabs near Cape Leeuwin on Tuesday. I noticed the females are carrying eggs, so it must be the same across a range of crab species this time of year. Here are two pics I just uploaded. In the first one you can sort of see she's a female with the eggs underneath, except the Alamy logo obscures it.

a-female-purple-rock-crab-leptograpsus-v

a-purple-rock-crab-leptograpsus-variegat

Although my crabs are sharp in the original file, I feel they don't come across so well in the Alamy display. I am wondering do you use Topaz or similar? Your crabs look very sharp and clear in what I imagine was not the best light in the forest environment. Or you might have been using a flash set-up? Now I think about it, I think I remember you speaking about taking flash gear with you. I was watching a video on Topaz AI today and it does seem to do an excellent job of both sharpening and reducing noise. I am wondering if it is worthwhile.

And here is just one more upload from the other day of Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse with a ship out to sea near sunset.

cape-leeuwin-lighthouse-in-golden-light-

• Love 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Christmas lights in Cornhill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

christmas-lights-in-cornhill-lincoln-cit

View East along Viking Way, Lincolnshire, England, UK

view-east-along-viking-way-lincolnshire-

View East along river Witham late evening, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

view-east-along-river-witham-late-evenin

Christmas lights on High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

christmas-lights-on-high-street-lincoln-

Sunset behind St John the Evangelist church Washingborough, Lincolnshire, England, UK

sunset-behind-st-john-the-evangilist-chu

Good Night

Allan

Hi Allan, I particularly love the vertical one with the moon reflected in the river and the panorama too. And that golden sunset is pretty speccy!

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, IKuzmin said:

Great images, outstanding experience

The amusing thing is to watch them walk sideways, not forward. It was an experience indeed, we had planned to go last year but something got in the way. Because the migration stopped half way through this year, the spawning will be delayed and guides had to cancel booked tours. It's a big gamble to book a flight, migration events are never on cue. We travelled independently, so no problems for us. Crabs rule!

• Love 1

46 minutes ago, Sally Robertson said:

Fantastic crab pics Gen! I love them. I'm glad you got a balance of crab action plus some open roads to explore other options including birds. I look forward to seeing the birds. Those Robber Crabs are impressive and look like something from a sci fi movie.

I photographed some Purple Rock Crabs near Cape Leeuwin on Tuesday. I noticed the females are carrying eggs, so it must be the same across a range of crab species this time of year. Here are two pics I just uploaded. In the first one you can sort of see she's a female with the eggs underneath, except the Alamy logo obscures it.

a-female-purple-rock-crab-leptograpsus-v

a-purple-rock-crab-leptograpsus-variegat

Although my crabs are sharp in the original file, I feel they don't come across so well in the Alamy display. I am wondering do you use Topaz or similar? Your crabs look very sharp and clear in what I imagine was not the best light in the forest environment. Or you might have been using a flash set-up? Now I think about it, I think I remember you speaking about taking flash gear with you. I was watching a video on Topaz AI today and it does seem to do an excellent job of both sharpening and reducing noise. I am wondering if it is worthwhile.

I love the lime and purple colours of your crabs. There are also purple crabs on CI but we didn't see any.  I went from birds to spiders, back to birds, perhaps I should now move to crabs  😀

Yes I use Topaz Denoise and Topaz Sharpen. I couldn't be without it these days. I did manage to take all my equipment with me in the end: 500mm for birding, 16-35mm, 80-400mm, 105mm macro with all the assorted flashes, 2 bodies, 1 flash, GoPro for snorkelling and my little Sony for flight shots! And I used them all !! Luckily, on that route, Virgin is very understanding with carry on luggage and those were not weighed. Both hubby and I were wearing our multi-pockets jackets just in case.

The macro lens, I didn't use it for the crabs, they were so big! All of them. I used it for a skink being saved from extinction at the rangers station. For the red crab, only my 80-400mm, no flash. They were in the open. The blue crabs live along streams in dark rainforest with very little light. For them, 80-400mm with flash. Ditto for the robber crabs.

Now the nightmare to select the keepers...

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I love the lime and purple colours of your crabs. There are also purple crabs on CI but we didn't see any.  I went from birds to spiders, back to birds, perhaps I should now move to crabs  😀

Yes I use Topaz Denoise and Topaz Sharpen. I couldn't be without it these days. I did manage to take all my equipment with me in the end: 500mm for birding, 16-35mm, 80-400mm, 105mm macro with all the assorted flashes, 2 bodies, 1 flash, GoPro for snorkelling and my little Sony for flight shots! And I used them all !! Luckily, on that route, Virgin is very understanding with carry on luggage and those were not weighed. Both hubby and I were wearing our multi-pockets jackets just in case.

The macro lens, I didn't use it for the crabs, they were so big! All of them. I used it for a skink being saved from extinction at the rangers station. For the red crab, only my 80-400mm, no flash. They were in the open. The blue crabs live along streams in dark rainforest with very little light. For them, 80-400mm with flash. Ditto for the robber crabs.

Now the nightmare to select the keepers...

Those rock crabs also come with some bright orange sometimes as well as the lime and purple. Yes, crabs are fascinating. I can spend hours watching them with all their antics. One of my favourite things is when they submerge themselves in water and they just have their eyes on stalks sticking out. It is like watching a comedy show.

I'm glad you were able to get all your equipment there! It would have been such a unique environment with so many interesting subjects. I look forward to seeing the rest!

That's good to know about Topaz. I can't help feeling frustrated with how some of my wildlife images appear on display on the Alamy website, even when they are crisp and clear in the original file. I've particularly felt this in relation to birds where I have a nice sharp eye and great feather detail, but it looks softish on Alamy. I know they have to be at lower res for display, but I'm wondering if Topaz would give them an extra boost to just appear that bit better. It certainly seems to do wonders in the denoise department too.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Gorgeous crab pics, Gen,  My master's thesis was on the feeding behaviour of UK shore crabs and even 50 years later I still have a soft spot for them and their kin.  

Thank you John. They were hard to miss, being so big. We did have to hike through the rainforest to see the coconuts crabs. It was quite tiring but oh the heartbeat when we rounded a corner and stumbled upon a little freshwater stream with those enormous peaceful crabs drinking from it and feeding on fallen fruit and leaves. I know there are many crab species in Australia but, being no beach bums, we spend most of our time in the Outback  😄 I like the little blue soldier crabs and their antics. 

40 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I did manage to take all my equipment with me in the end: 500mm for birding, 16-35mm, 80-400mm, 105mm macro with all the assorted flashes, 2 bodies, 1 flash, GoPro for snorkelling and my little Sony for flight shots!

How about tripods?

I usually carry 3

🙂

46 minutes ago, gvallee said:

I use Topaz Denoise and Topaz Sharpen.

Did you try their new Photo AI?

I tried some earlier its versions, was not impressed and did not try the more recent...

Otherwise, use the same DAI and SAI that you, except some occasions when I just want to make something without any substantial post, like coyotes in the recent POTM..

Edited by IKuzmin

1 minute ago, gvallee said:

I took my heavy tripod with a bird bracket.

Yeah... I take 3 light ones for flashes if am going to photo-trap bats.

Am not sure what the bird bracket is, for birds I usually use Manfrotto macro bracket (which obviously is used for macro, too).

Just now, IKuzmin said:

Did you try their new Photo AI?

I trued some earlier versions, was not impressed and did not try the more recent...

Otherwise, use the same DAI and SAI except some occasions when I just want to make something without any substantial post, like coyotes in the recent POTM..

No I haven't. I spend most of my time on the road. I pile up images for months, then panic and try to catch up with the backlog. 

4 minutes ago, IKuzmin said:

Yeah... I take 3 light ones for flashes if am going to photo-trap bats.

Am not sure what the bird bracket is, for birds I usually use Manfrotto macro bracket (which obviously is used for macro, too).

Manfrotto tripod + Kimberley Sidekick

https://images.app.goo.gl/JFsCYhdcrRzy9if9A

Edited by gvallee
  • Like 1

A few images from a trip to London last weekend…

The Tulip Staircase located in The Queen's House. Named after the tulip pattern in the wrought iron bannister.

the-tulip-stairs-located-in-the-queens-h

Canary Wharf from Greenwich Park

a-view-from-greenwich-park-london-lookin

a view from Queens House towards the Old Royal Naval College

a-view-from-a-window-inside-the-queens-h

Tha Greenwich foot tunnel which runs under the River Thames from the Isle of Dogs to Greenwich

a-deliveroo-cyclist-riding-a-bicycle-thr

Ice skating in front of The Queen's House 

the-greenwich-ice-skating-rink-located-i

Brick Lane food hall

a-stall-holder-pours-a-fresh-cup-of-desi

Assorted Truffles, Brick Lane

2TA0554.jpg

Monument Station, London Underground

a-commuter-standing-on-the-platform-of-m

Edited by Steve Hyde
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, gvallee said:

And now onto birds…

2TAN4N8.jpg

2TAN4BY.jpg

2TAN32E.jpg

2TAN33N.jpg

2TAN39W.jpg

2TAN42Y.jpg

2TAN460.jpg

2TAN47T.jpg

2TAN3E8.jpg

2TAN3GX.jpg

Goodness, me! What are those things? I hope none are hiding under my duvet. 

2 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Goodness, me! What are those things? I hope none are hiding under my duvet. 

If you get them they are tiny and make you itch.🥴

Allan

No have never caught them myself.

ITMA

And now the birdies of Christmas Island.

Juvenile Christmas Island Frigatebird (Fregata andrewsi) drinking on the wing

2TAW22D.jpg

Female Christmas Island Frigatebird (Fregata andrewsi) drinking on the wing

2TAW22J.jpg

Female Great Frigatebird (Fregata minor listeri) harassing a Red-footed Booby (Sula sula rubripes)

2TAW23Y.jpg

White-tailed Tropicbird or Golden Bosun (Phaethon lepturus fulvus)

2TAW2J1.jpg

A pair of White-tailed Tropicbirds or Golden Bosuns (Phaethon lepturus fulvus) flying over the Indian Ocean

2TAW2JK.jpg

2TAW2GG.jpg

Christmas Island White-eye (Zosterops natalis) feeding from a pink hibiscus flower

2TAW2KM.jpg

Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster plotus)

2TAW2YR.jpg

Red-footed Booby (Sula sula rubripes)

2TAW33A.jpg

2TAW35H.jpg

2TAW37R.jpg

• Love 3
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, gvallee said:

And now the birdies of Christmas Island.

Juvenile Christmas Island Frigatebird (Fregata andrewsi) drinking on the wing

2TAW22D.jpg

Female Christmas Island Frigatebird (Fregata andrewsi) drinking on the wing

2TAW22J.jpg

Female Great Frigatebird (Fregata minor listeri) harassing a Red-footed Booby (Sula sula rubripes)

2TAW23Y.jpg

2TAW2J1.jpg

A pair of White-tailed Tropicbirds or Golden Bosuns (Phaethon lepturus fulvus) flying over the Indian Ocean

2TAW2JK.jpg

2TAW2GG.jpg

Christmas Island White-eye (Zosterops natalis) feeding from a pink hibiscus flower

2TAW2KM.jpg

2TAW2YR.jpg

Red-footed Booby (Sula sula rubripes)

2TAW33A.jpg

2TAW35H.jpg

2TAW37R.jpg

Beautiful. Love them all. Great shooting Gen.

Allan

• Love 1

Just now, Allan Bell said:

Beautiful. Love them all. Great shooting Gen.

Allan

Thanks Allan. PP was a lot of hard work. I spent all day! Bird photography gives me a lot of pleasure. The editing not so much.