December 2023 Favourite Uploads

gvallee

Some more from the castle.

Start of Candy Cane walk illuminated pathway in Lincoln castle grounds, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

start-of-candy-cane-walk-illuminated-pat

Illuminated tree in centre of ruins of Lucy tower, Lincoln castle, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

illuminated-tree-in-centre-of-ruins-of-l

The two dragons Norman and Lucy at Cob Hall corner Lincoln castle, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

the-two-dragons-norman-and-lucy-at-cob-h

Illuminated cathedral from castle wall walk, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

illuminated-cathedral-from-castle-wall-w

Illuminated old prison in Lincoln castle grounds, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

illuminated-old-prison-in-lincoln-castle

Allan

• Love 2
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Some more from the castle.

Start of Candy Cane walk illuminated pathway in Lincoln castle grounds, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

start-of-candy-cane-walk-illuminated-pat

Illuminated tree in centre of ruins of Lucy tower, Lincoln castle, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

illuminated-tree-in-centre-of-ruins-of-l

The two dragons Norman and Lucy at Cob Hall corner Lincoln castle, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

the-two-dragons-norman-and-lucy-at-cob-h

Illuminated cathedral from castle wall walk, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

illuminated-cathedral-from-castle-wall-w

Illuminated old prison in Lincoln castle grounds, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

illuminated-old-prison-in-lincoln-castle

Allan

Nice!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, NYCat said:

Ohhhh. I'm in love.

Paulette

Hi Paulette, If it was the puppy that made you fall in love, that was indeed a very cute puppy. There are street dogs everywhere in Bhutan. Some of the ones in the biggest towns (e.g. Thimpu and Paro) are not in the best condition and have mange. They also bark at night in the bigger places. But everywhere the dogs were polite with humans. In the village the above puppy was in we were sitting on the grass eating our lunch. We had about 10 dogs sitting a few metres behind, just patiently and politely sitting there hoping they might get some food scraps. Locals do feed the strays and often the monks too. I was told the ones that show aggression don't get fed, so that may be why they are so well behaved. Before going there I had immunisations but not the rabies one which is more involved. The travel doctor said just don't go near dogs. Well on the first day I couldn't help it. I made a dog friend and had many friendly interactions throughout the trip. I am very much a dog person. One evening while watching a mist roll into the valley at sunset in the beautiful Ura Village, the most stunning dog just came and stood beside me and seemed to be watching and absorbing the same scene. There was just this beautiful presence. Both animals and people in Bhutan were so companionable, like you feel you are always connected. Hard to put into words. It is the most enchanting place I have ever been.

• Like 1

Three recent ones from me from Western Australia.

I was recently staying near the Perth suburb of Guilford. It was once its own townsite but is now part of greater Perth. It was a very early settled area with many historical buildings. This one is known as the Guildford Mechanics Hall.

guildford-mechanics-hall-also-known-as-m

And just a couple of days ago I photographed this cute little cottage-like shop in the town of Cowaramup.

the-moon-haven-shop-selling-handcrafted-

And recently this one of a Rex Airlines plane taking off. Rex is a regional airline in Australia. I didn't notice at the time but people are looking out the windows at me. It's harder to discern their faces in the lower res Alamy version.

a-rex-airlines-vh-vsx-saab-340b-aircraft

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sally Robertson said:

Hi Paulette, If it was the puppy that made you fall in love, that was indeed a very cute puppy. There are street dogs everywhere in Bhutan. Some of the ones in the biggest towns (e.g. Thimpu and Paro) are not in the best condition and have mange. They also bark at night in the bigger places. But everywhere the dogs were polite with humans. In the village the above puppy was in we were sitting on the grass eating our lunch. We had about 10 dogs sitting a few metres behind, just patiently and politely sitting there hoping they might get some food scraps. Locals do feed the strays and often the monks too. I was told the ones that show aggression don't get fed, so that may be why they are so well behaved. Before going there I had immunisations but not the rabies one which is more involved. The travel doctor said just don't go near dogs. Well on the first day I couldn't help it. I made a dog friend and had many friendly interactions throughout the trip. I am very much a dog person. One evening while watching a mist roll into the valley at sunset in the beautiful Ura Village, the most stunning dog just came and stood beside me and seemed to be watching and absorbing the same scene. There was just this beautiful presence. Both animals and people in Bhutan were so companionable, like you feel you are always connected. Hard to put into words. It is the most enchanting place I have ever been.

Everyone seems to fall in love with Bhutan. The bird is very lovable too. Looks fluffy and soft but I guess it wouldn't want me to cuddle it. 

Paulette

• Love 1

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Everyone seems to fall in love with Bhutan. The bird is very lovable too. Looks fluffy and soft but I guess it wouldn't want me to cuddle it. 

Paulette

Kookaburras are very cheeky.

I’ve had one swoop down and steal the hamburger patty out of the middle of my hamburger! They are speedy and stealthy.

The one in that photo I think may have been a young one. It seemed a little smaller. So it may have been a little softer and more downy in the feathers. I agree, it looks very cuddly.

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

Paulette

I'm sure I saw it wink.

Allan

• Love 1

Installing mains services to new housing across Church Lane, Cherry Willingham, Lincolnshire, England, UKinstalling-mains-services-to-new-housing

Newly opened Antlers Restaurant White Hart Hotel, Bailgate, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

newly-opened-antlers-restaurant-white-ha

House of Fraser shop front late afternoon in winter, High street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

house-of-fraser-shop-front-late-afternoo

eqvvs shop window late afternoon in winter, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

eqvvs-shop-window-late-afternoon-in-wint

Allan

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

A Kitesurfer taking advantage of a high tide and a strong wind as storm Pia passed through the South West of the UK last week..

weston-super-mare-uk-a-kitesurfer-or-kit

Hi Steve,

Love the kite surfer. It can be hard getting the person and kite both in the frame. I uploaded a similar one recently with the kite surfer airborne. I think yours is especially good because of the way you have captured the quality of the light and the person is silhouetted while the kite is illuminated by the sun. This is my similar recent upload taken at the mouth of the Blackwood River in Augusta, Western Australia:

vertical-image-of-a-kitesurfer-airborne-

• Love 1

2TB646W.jpg

I took a day off after a hugely busy ~6 weeks in the day job....

Then we had Cyclone Jasper and 1-in-100 year flooding in Cairns...

2TCJ1PC.jpg

Luckily the airport re-opened in time for me to make it to Sydney for family xmas lunch

2W99J9N.jpg

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

Hi Steve,

Love the kite surfer. It can be hard getting the person and kite both in the frame. I uploaded a similar one recently with the kite surfer airborne. I think yours is especially good because of the way you have captured the quality of the light and the person is silhouetted while the kite is illuminated by the sun. This is my similar recent upload taken at the mouth of the Blackwood River in Augusta, Western Australia:

Hi Sally, thank you for the kind words. They’re very similar images aren’t they. You’ve got some nice blue water and beach in yours which I’d have liked. Unfortunately the water at Weston-s-Mare, where I took my pic is like liquid mud.

i got lucky with the light. I arrived on the beach for high tide. At that time it was raining and the light was really poor, as per the image below. It was so dark I’d have used a flash gun for a bit of fill if I’d have had one with me. I got talking to the guy holding the wind measuring meter for me. He told me that the best time for surfing at WsM was an hour before and after high tide but a lot of the guys had packed up as the wind was gusting (not good for them) and the water was really cold. I hung about though and not long before I left the sun broke through and I got the pic I’ve posted. I really like talking to the people I want to photograph. I find they’re nearly always helpful and you can get so much info from them which invariably helps with getting a better image. 

uk-a-man-standing-on-a-beach-holding-a-d

• Love 2

19 hours ago, Sally Robertson said:

Hi Steve,

OK then, let's join the competition 😃 This was taken in Cook Islands, Polynesia. I have the blue sky and turquoise water but unfortunately, this image never licensed. The first of us who has a sale buys a lunch. Sorry Steve but you might have to come to Australia. Just might. Not saying we Aussies will win😁

W2TXG9.jpg

• Love 2

22 minutes ago, Steve Hyde said:

Hi Sally, thank you for the kind words. They’re very similar images aren’t they. You’ve got some nice blue water and beach in yours which I’d have liked. Unfortunately the water at Weston-s-Mare, where I took my pic is like liquid mud.

i got lucky with the light. I arrived on the beach for high tide. At that time it was raining and the light was really poor, as per the image below. It was so dark I’d have used a flash gun for a bit of fill if I’d have had one with me. I got talking to the guy holding the wind measuring meter for me. He told me that the best time for surfing at WsM was an hour before and after high tide but a lot of the guys had packed up as the wind was gusting (not good for them) and the water was really cold. I hung about though and not long before I left the sun broke through and I got the pic I’ve posted. I really like talking to the people I want to photograph. I find they’re nearly always helpful and you can get so much info from them which invariably helps with getting a better image. 

uk-a-man-standing-on-a-beach-holding-a-d

Hi Steve,

I think that's great to chat to the people you are photographing. it becomes more meaningful and I think does often lead to better results. Even though the water is muddy as you say, I think this works here because the sunlight on it creates a kind of bronze colour which I really like. Those moments of breakthrough light on an otherwise cloudy, dull day are like magical gifts. It pays to stick around sometimes and see what happens.

The kite surfers are amazing aren't they! The heights they get to are incredible. I just marvel watching them. I'm planning to visit the same location in Augusta with my long telephoto lens to get some closer images which won't necessarily have the kite in it but will show the action of the kitesurfer in more detail.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gvallee said:

OK then, let's join the competition 😃 This was taken in Cook Islands, Polynesia. I have the blue sky and turquoise water but unfortunately, this image never licensed. The first of us who has a sale buys a lunch. Sorry Steve but you might have to come to Australia. Just might. Not saying we Aussies will win😁

W2TXG9.jpg

Love the turquoise water here Gen and the airborne action! It's like each of our images has the water as a different shade with the kite surfing happening in all these different parts of the world. The Cook Islands is yet another place I'd love to visit! It's interesting how we have to adapt our photography to light that really is different in different locations.