November 2023 favourite uploads

gvallee

On 07/11/2023 at 09:24, gvallee said:

C'mon guys and gals, don't make me feel guilty, show us your favourite uploads. I am trying to catch up with months of backlog, so I don't want to flood the page. 

Ok Gen, just so you don't feel bad! Also got a backlog. Images from the Siege of Basing House, a major English civil war battle.

historical-reenactment-of-the-siege-of-b

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Ok Gen, just so you don't feel bad! Also got a backlog. Images from the Siege of Basing House, a major English civil war battle.

Very sweet of you Steve! Thank you. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Steve F said:

The battle of 1645? Now that's the mother of all backlogs. 😂

wim

• Love 2
  • Like 1

The Duncan Road is a 430 km remote unsealed road through the very scenic Kimberley region, crossing several times the border between Northern Territory and Western Australia. It includes a few creek crossings of various levels. We hardly saw anyone for a week.

2T6RMXP.jpg

2T6RNB4.jpg

2T6RNDT.jpg

Our second camp was at a ruined cattle station. An unkept, rough and furrowed track led 3 km through the grass to vast slabs of flat rock beside the Ord River flowing gently. Just us and the birds, the beating sun, and the cooling breeze. Still no-one in sight.

2T6RN0F.jpg

2T6RN3X.jpg

2T6RN45.jpg

2T6RN15.jpg

2T6RN4Y.jpg

After a week, we dropped in to Palm Springs, a delightful oasis by palms. A couple of bushfires were in full swing less than 2 km away, thwarting our plans to camp there.

2T6RMWG.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 2

Finally got round to processing a few more US road trip pics from the summer...

heat warning signs in valley of fire state park, moapa vally,  nevada usa , stating you might die, July 2023 dangerous heatwave

2RFA13C.jpg

model of cockerel above red rooster cafe bar in cedar city nevada usa

2RP2DF1.jpg

Two apple iphones shooting sunset movies at Griffith Park Observatory in Los Angeles California LA USA

2RP2D7H.jpg

faded vintage railroad car carriage arizona & california RR railroad

2RP2D7W.jpg

giant wall painting street art in downtown Los angeles. mexican actor  Anthony Quinn, Victor clothing, dancing from the movie Pope of Broadway. artist Eloy Torrez

2RP2D67.jpg

sculpture statue of marilyn monroe, Forever Marilyn by Seward Johnson, Palm Springs California. controversy sexist CREMA lawsuit relocation district court

2RP2DFT.jpg

rainbow coloured apartments in Palm Springs, California, USA - LGBTQ concept - largest gay community in USA

2RJY24X.jpg

side view in desert of BNSF Union Pacific locomotive train engine 8010 with stars and stripes american flag - building america

2RJY23X.jpg

front 3/4 view grey 2023 Dodge charger Hemi sports muscle car in fire state park nevada usa. (our crazy rental car!)

2RG7DMD.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 2

A bit of a mixed bag here. A few new pics and some older shots I’ve finally got around to keywording…

a-young-couple-sitting-on-a-wall-overloo

An experiment with an old Olympus OM10 and a roll of B&W film. The experiment lasted for exactly one roll of film 🙂

a-single-lens-reflex-camera-with-its-bac

a-black-and-white-cat-lying-on-a-doorste

an-elderly-man-holding-two-large-yellow-

a-warmed-hot-cross-bun-cut-in-half-and-s

a-monkey-resting-on-a-ledge-at-the-top-o

a-young-man-and-woman-enjoying-a-ride-ou

the-front-of-a-house-decked-with-lots-of

a-council-contractor-cutting-grass-in-a-

a-vespa-motor-scooter-with-its-front-fai

a-drop-down-screen-in-an-passenger-aircr

• Love 3
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Steve Hyde said:

A bit of a mixed bag here. A few new pics and some older shots I’ve finally got around to keywording…

a-young-couple-sitting-on-a-wall-overloo

An experiment with an old Olympus OM10 and a roll of B&W film. The experiment lasted for exactly one roll of film 🙂

a-single-lens-reflex-camera-with-its-bac

a-black-and-white-cat-lying-on-a-doorste

an-elderly-man-holding-two-large-yellow-

a-warmed-hot-cross-bun-cut-in-half-and-s

a-monkey-resting-on-a-ledge-at-the-top-o

a-young-man-and-woman-enjoying-a-ride-ou

the-front-of-a-house-decked-with-lots-of

a-council-contractor-cutting-grass-in-a-

a-vespa-motor-scooter-with-its-front-fai

a-drop-down-screen-in-an-passenger-aircr

some nice ones there!

5 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Tag for guy with melons: weighing up his options...

Ha ha, he was a real character, I think he was in his nineties and at one time had been a professional soccer goalkeeper. He was with two other old boys selling melons at the side of the road in Rhodes. I asked if they were happy for me to take pics and they loved that, they all wanted to try different poses for me. We spent a bit of time with them and my wife asked one of them what they sat around discussing all day. He said, just before we’d arrived, they’d been discussing the best sex they’d ever had! He went on to say “that’s a long time ago though, it’s all gone kaput now” 🙂

Here’s one of the others..

a-roadside-stall-selling-locally-grown-f

Edited by Steve Hyde

17 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Nerves of steel!

No!  Frozen hands.    Sony a6500 with Sigma 18-50mm lens at 20.5mm, f5, 1/8 second.  Had to use "Denoise" in LrC.

Allan

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

It rains a lot in the Lake District, the traffic can be horrendous, but, when the sun does shine it becomes heaven on earth.  Grasmere

autumn-view-of-grasmere-lake-with-fells-

"It rains a lot in the Lake District,"

Tell me about it. Back when I was about 11 years old my stepfather and my mother decided to buy some camping equipment, (old army tents etc), and take the family, (mum, dad and two children), to the lakes for a fortnights holiday.  That was the shipyard holiday.  We had no transport but he knew a man with a Bedford minibus. Everything was piled in including us and off we went to Braithwaite camp site.  We were dropped off with the camping gear and off he went saying he would be back in a fortnight. It was a lovely sunny day and we set up camp looking forward to the walks and hill climbs.

The next day it rained but we set off for a walk with our Pack-a-macs on. It continued to rain all day every day for the next 7 days but we persevered. Then the eighth day dawned a bright sunny hot day and we spent it drying out everything and looking forward to the change in the weather for the next few days. You guessed it, the next day was back to solid rain which continued till the day before we were due to go home. The minibus arrived on a lovely sunny day and we packed up and were driven home to dry the camping gear out over the washing line.

Dad was thinking we would not be going back again and that it was the end of the camping trips. Mum whispered to us, the children, to ask dad when we would be going back for another holiday. When we asked Dad smiled and said "Next year."

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

"It rains a lot in the Lake District,"

Tell me about it. Back when I was about 11 years old my stepfather and my mother decided to buy some camping equipment, (old army tents etc), and take the family, (mum, dad and two children), to the lakes for a fortnights holiday.  That was the shipyard holiday.  We had no transport but he knew a man with a Bedford minibus. Everything was piled in including us and off we went to Braithwaite camp site.  We were dropped off with the camping gear and off he went saying he would be back in a fortnight. It was a lovely sunny day and we set up camp looking forward to the walks and hill climbs.

The next day it rained but we set off for a walk with our Pack-a-macs on. It continued to rain all day every day for the next 7 days but we persevered. Then the eighth day dawned a bright sunny hot day and we spent it drying out everything and looking forward to the change in the weather for the next few days. You guessed it, the next day was back to solid rain which continued till the day before we were due to go home. The minibus arrived on a lovely sunny day and we packed up and were driven home to dry the camping gear out over the washing line.

Dad was thinking we would not be going back again and that it was the end of the camping trips. Mum whispered to us, the children, to ask dad when we would be going back for another holiday. When we asked Dad smiled and said "Next year."

Allan

I've a happier tale. Many moons ago, when we had two small children and very little money, we rented a small old caravan for a week on a site at Keswick.  From memory it cost about £60 ! I towed our small sailing dinghy (built in our garage before the kids came along) across and we spent time paddling, swimming and sailing on the lake.  Luckily the sun shone for almost all the week, there was a short shower one day.  More recently we always scour the weather reports before venturing across, it's a long way to drive to find a washout !

29 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I've a happier tale. Many moons ago, when we had two small children and very little money, we rented a small old caravan for a week on a site at Keswick.  From memory it cost about £60 ! I towed our small sailing dinghy (built in our garage before the kids came along) across and we spent time paddling, swimming and sailing on the lake.  Luckily the sun shone for almost all the week, there was a short shower one day.  More recently we always scour the weather reports before venturing across, it's a long way to drive to find a washout !

Especially if you are only going for the day.

Allan

A couple from King Charles III's 75th birthday gun salute yesterday. Storm Debi hit with a vengeance just as the salute began and I'm still trying to dry out. The torrential rain isn't particularly visible in the images, but it was damn dark.

kings-troop-royal-horse-artillery-carried-out-a-41-gun-salute-for-the-king-charles-iiis-75th-birthday-in-green-park-london-uk-muzzle-flash-2T7AWX2.jpg

kings-troop-royal-horse-artillery-carried-out-a-41-gun-salute-for-the-king-charles-iiis-75th-birthday-in-green-park-london-uk-muzzle-flash-2T7AWXA.jpg

They also closed off a much larger area of the park which threw out my location planning, and I see a better view was to be had elsewhere looking at the images published.

Edited by Avpics
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

Inside East gate entrance to Lincoln castle, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

inside-east-gate-entrance-to-lincoln-cas

Lincoln railway station from pedestrian bridge, Oxford Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

lincoln-railway-station-from-pedestrian-

Lincoln railway station St Mary's road, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

lincoln-railway-station-st-marys-road-li

People looking in CEX shop window, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

people-looking-in-cex-shop-window-high-s

View up Steep Hill in Autumn, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

view-up-steep-hill-in-autumn-lincoln-cit

Vauxhall Corsa run off road into hedge, Fiskerton Road, Cherry Willingham, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

vauxhall-corsa-run-off-road-into-hedge-f

Allan

• Like 2

A lovely English Staffy I used to live with.

a-head-portrait-of-a-female-english-staf

The Canning River at dusk in Perth, Western Australia. This is a 13 second exposure taken when it was getting dark and very much blue hour.

moody-blue-hues-at-dusk-at-shelley-beach

The moon rising over shipping containers in the northern section of Fremantle Harbour.

the-north-port-rous-head-section-of-frem

Just before sunrise at Jurien Bay, Western Australia.

the-jetty-at-the-coastal-town-of-jurien-

• Love 1
  • Like 2