November 2023 favourite uploads

gvallee

East Pilbara of Western Australia is an addictive region: rough, red, remote. A few months back, we ditched the blacktop with a steady stream of 60m long road trains with quad trailers of ore, to dive onto the heaving, serpentine track of Skull springs Road. A camel skull, supported by a rusty ute spring on a metal pole, provides the clue for onward travel.

We had the opportunity to camp at an old gold mine, all quiet now after the gold fever dwindled. Just us and wary cattle. The night sky was fabulous. In the morning, the sun rose bright red due to the red dust in the atmosphere caused by nearby mining activities.

2T4WBHH.jpg

2T4WBP3.jpg

2T4WCEY.jpg

2T4WDAK.jpg

2T4WCK5.jpg

2T4WCNK.jpg

2T4WD19.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, gvallee said:

East Pilbara of Western Australia is an addictive region: rough, red, remote. A few months back, we ditched the blacktop with a steady stream of 60m long road trains with quad trailers of ore, to dive onto the heaving, serpentine track of Skull springs Road. A camel skull, supported by a rusty ute spring on a metal pole, provides the clue for onward travel.

We had the opportunity to camp at an old gold mine, all quiet now after the gold fever dwindled. Just us and wary cattle. The night sky was fabulous. In the morning, the sun rose bright red due to the red dust in the atmosphere caused by nearby mining activities.

2T4WBHH.jpg

2T4WBP3.jpg

2T4WCEY.jpg

2T4WDAK.jpg

2T4WCK5.jpg

2T4WCNK.jpg

2T4WD19.jpg

Love the images Gen,

Better you than me, I just want to go skiing....

Chuck

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Love the images Gen,

Better you than me, I just want to go skiing....

Chuck

Thank you Chuck. What's that white stuff? I haven't seen any since my UK days. 

• Like 1

Big mouth illuminated monster on roof of Turtle Bay Restaurant, Sincil Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

big-mouth-illuminated-monster-on-roof-of

Sun setting over Lincoln casstle, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

sun-setting-over-lincoln-casstle-lincoln

Three Joes sourdough pizza restaurant at night, Sincil Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

three-joes-sourdough-pizza-restaurant-at

Union Jack flags under ultra violet light through window of Fish and chip shop, Sincil Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

union-jack-flags-under-ultra-violet-ligh

Yellow monster on top of Nationwide building, St Mary's Road, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

yellow-monster-on-top-of-nationwide-buil

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Capturing the mood of a super blue moon rising in the Australian Outback, an event which had not occurred for 14 years.

I am probably going to kill my CTR with too many images but I didn’t have the heart to discard more than what I had already set aside.

2T5F4D0.jpg

2T5F4R7.jpg

2T5F4KM.jpg

2T5F4K3.jpg

2T5F4E1.jpg

2T5F4G4.jpg

2T5F4WH.jpg

• Like 1

Me again, trying to catch up with my huge backlog...

1,850 km long, the Canning Stock Route in Western Australia is the longest stock route in the world. It’s a challenging off-road 4x4 drive taking between 10 and 20 days through the desert. We decided to take a nibble off it, deflated the tyres, tightened bra straps and removed dentures, and drove to our destination for the day, historic Well 51, a 3 hour rodeo.

Below is a sedate part of the road.

2T5KR8J.jpg

2T5KRD9.jpg

Bushfires burnt along the way, started by locals to flush out prey, snakes in particular, for their dinner.

2T5KT90.jpg

We reached the tiny Aboriginal community of Billiluna where the grocery store offers included kangaroo tails.

2T5KRX0.jpg

2T5KRY9.jpg

2T5KT0F.jpg

Well 51 and its broken windvane once watered mobs of cattle driven 1000 kms to the market.

2T5KPX3.jpg

2T5KPX6.jpg

Along the way, a couple of lagoons were ideal for bush camping. Nothing beats a campfire going with a glass of wine by moonlight, socializing and exchanging stories.

2T5KRJE.jpg

2T5KRMN.jpg

2T5KRPC.jpg

And birds loved the lagoon too!

2T5KTGY.jpg

2T5KTFC.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 3

C'mon guys and gals, don't make me feel guilty, show us your favourite uploads. I am trying to catch up with months of backlog, so I don't want to flood the page. 

This series is travelling through the mining area of the Pilbara in Western Australia. Red, rough, remote area.

2T5T4WX.jpg

2T5TH4F.jpg

2T5THH5.jpg

2T5T3CR.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 2

A truly magical hidden spot in the Pilbara is the delightful gorge of Wanna Munna, a site of major indigenous significance. Unsigned, pretty rough track, 2kms off the bitumen.

We camped there and witnessed the golden sunrise over spinifex. Both sides of the gorge has significant Aboriginal petroglyths which you discover as the angle of the sun changes.

2T5X39C.jpg

2T5X3G5.jpg

2T5X40H.jpg

2T5X4E6.jpg

2T5X49X.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, NYCat said:

I'm enjoying the tour of Australia (minus poisonous spiders and snakes). Though I should add that I do like photos of poisonous spiders and snakes.

Paulette

Working on the next batch which will be different. Camel racing...

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Earlier this year, we travelled into the desert to attend the Boulia camel and horse races, a favourite Outback event. Part of the fun was a game of camel tagging and a souped up lawn mowers race.

The first event was a camels vs horses race. We heard a story that a camel was ahead by 200m. He turned round, then turned round again, and still won the race! There’s no directing a camel, no reins.

We bet $10 on the biggest 10-1 odds, a camel called ‘Huff and Puff’. He looks a little motheaten. Well, within 20 seconds, it slowed to a trot 200m behind.

In the evening, a band played and we danced under the stars on the racecourse . The whiff of nearby campfires was drifting. Magical and fun event!

2T61PE3.jpg

2T61PH6.jpg

2T61PT8.jpg

2T61R62.jpg

2T61R92.jpg

2T61R9J.jpg

2T61RAK.jpg

2T61RE9.jpg

2T61RKR.jpg

2T61P9X.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 3
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Looks like so much fun.

Paulette

It was great. We stayed a week in total. There was a very happy relaxed atmosphere among the campers. Campfires going, Happy Hour, music, dancing, betting. There were other fun events, especially camel tagging where a volunteer is in the rodeo enclosure with a camel. He has to run to the camel and stick some tape on it. Then he has to run again and retrieve it while the camel has other ideas. Hilarious! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stephen Dwyer said:

This one is simple but I quite like it. Might be a bit too busy for a book cover but I'd love to see it on the front of an Outback Noir novel.

https://www.penguin.com.au/articles/3398-crime-novels-set-in-the-australian-outback

2RT00ED.jpg

Interesting, You must have heard about the newly released film on Netflix about the Larrimah disappearance/crime. General opinion is that the woman did it and the crocs had a good meal. I went there, it's such a small remote community. Apparently, they all hated each other. What a life. Not!

I haven't watched the film Wolf Creek and have no intention of doing so. We camped nearly all the time deep in the bush. So far so good. A few months back in NT, during the night we heard two cars going like the clappers close together in the dark. We thought it was strange. Next day was the news that a woman had disappeared just around the spot where we were camped. It was really puzzling. We were wondering if it was her car being pursued by another one. Then they found her body a few days later. Still a mystery who done it I think.  

Edited by gvallee
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Interesting, You must have heard about the newly released film on Netflix about the Larrimah disappearance/crime. General opinion is that the woman did it and the crocs had a good meal. I went there, it's such a small remote community. Apparently, they all hated each other. What a life. Not!

I haven't watched the film Wolf Creek and have no intention of doing so. We camped nearly all the time deep in the bush. So far so good. A few months back in NT, during the night we heard two cars going like the clappers close together in the dark. We thought it was strange. Next day was the news that a woman had disappeared just around the spot where we were camped. It was really puzzling. We were wondering if it was her car being pursued by another one. Then they found her body a few days later. Still a mystery who done it I think.  

H'mm yes, not good at all. For our NT trip we flew into Alice and out of Ulara so no camping. I'm retired but my wife still works full time so time for trips like this are still limited and therefore camping is out. That said we still clocked up 1,700kms in less than 8 days.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

Yikes. It's like living in New York City and checking the NY Post in the morning to see what the latest moped incident is. They seem to be the favorite get-away vehicle these days.

Paulette

Paulette

View along Castle Hill to Exchequer Gate and Lincoln Cathedral at night, Lincoln City

view-along-castle-hill-to-exchequer-gate

View down Steep Hill at dusk, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UKview-down-steep-hill-at-dusk-lincoln-cit

Sausage Grill convenience food cabin at night, Cornhill Quarter, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

sausage-grill-convenience-food-cabin-at-

Sculpt Studios hair dressing, Steep Hill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

sculpt-studios-hair-dressing-steep-hill-

Allan

• Love 2

Just a few more.

Sunset over Lincoln castle observation tower, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

sunset-over-lincoln-castle-observation-t

Waterstones shop front lit up at night, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

waterstones-shop-front-lit-up-at-night-h

Franco Manca Sourdough pizza restaurant at night, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

franco-manca-sourdough-pizza-restaurant-

Close up of entrance doors to FRIDAYS bar and restaurant at night, High Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

close-up-of-entrance-doors-to-fridays-ba

Desperados Tequila flavoured beer bottle left on step, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

desperados-tequila-flavoured-beer-bottle

Mansions Antiques, Bailgate, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

mansions-antiques-bailgate-lincoln-city-

Lincoln railway station from pedestrian bridge, Oxford Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

lincoln-railway-station-from-pedestrian-

Taxi rank at Lincoln city railway station, St Mary's Road, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

taxi-rank-at-lincoln-city-railway-statio

Allan

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 10:13, Allan Bell said:

View along Castle Hill to Exchequer Gate and Lincoln Cathedral at night, Lincoln City

view-along-castle-hill-to-exchequer-gate

View down Steep Hill at dusk, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UKview-down-steep-hill-at-dusk-lincoln-cit

Sausage Grill convenience food cabin at night, Cornhill Quarter, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

sausage-grill-convenience-food-cabin-at-

Sculpt Studios hair dressing, Steep Hill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

sculpt-studios-hair-dressing-steep-hill-

Allan

Tripod?