October 2023 favourite uploads

Allan Bell

My favourites from last upload.

Children re-enacting the Bosworth war of the roses at the Medieval joust event at Lincoln castle

children-re-enacting-the-bosworth-war-of

Little boy to mother I have my sword and helmet and shield and I am going to battle, Medieval jousting event, Lincoln castle

little-boy-to-mother-i-have-my-sword-and

Taking a break eating a medieval cupcake at jousting event Lincoln castle, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire,

taking-a-break-eating-a-medieval-cupcake

Little boy in yellow asking to try the practice jousting horse, Lincoln castle, Lincoln City

little-boy-in-yellow-asking-to-try-the-p

Young girl on practice jousting horse snags ring on lance at medieval jousting event, Lincoln castle,young-girl-on-practice-jousting-horse-sn

Winning knight of the joust salutes the queen and the second knight holds out hand in acknowledgement, Lincoln castle, Lincoln City

winning-knight-of-the-joust-salutes-the-

Those are my favourites. Here are the rest or that upload.

Two knights on horseback greeting each other during jousting event, Lincoln castle, Lincoln City

two-knights-on-horseback-greeting-each-o

Two jousting knights on horseback with helpers holding banners taking audience applause, Lincoln castle

two-jousting-knights-on-horseback-with-h

Knight on horseback with squire holding banner taking applause from audience, Lincoln castle, Lincoln City

knight-on-horseback-with-squire-holding-

Knight in full armour on horseback parading before the Joust, Lincoln Castle, Lincoln City

knight-in-full-armour-on-horseback-parad

Knight in full armour on horseback parading before the Joust, Lincoln Castle, Lincoln City

knight-in-full-armour-on-horseback-parad

Knight in armour headgear removed at end of jousting event talking with squire, Lincoln castle, Lincoln City

knight-in-armour-headgear-removed-at-end

That's it for now.

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP - BUMp - BUmp - Bump - bump.

Lady helper putting helmet on small boy sitting on practice jousting horse, Lincoln castle, Lincoln City

lady-helper-putting-helmet-on-small-boy-

Edwardian mock tudor building, High street, Lincoln city, Lincolnshire, England, UK

edwardian-mock-tudor-building-high-stree

Crane fly on window 

crane-fly-on-window-2T19PAH.jpg

Junction of Newland and Mint Street from Guildhall Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK 

junction-of-newland-and-mint-street-from

Seed head of Hogweed wild plant

seed-head-of-hogweed-wild-plant-2T19PTG.

Allan

• Love 1

A 1930s vintage Ruston Bucyrus steam powered excavator at Beamish museum. I started my professional career working for Ruston Diesels in Lincoln, and used to eat lunch in the Ruston Bucyrus canteen. They also built Dorman air cooled diesel engines on the site, they were employed on excavators stood outdoors in all weathers and with minimum attention.

1930s-ruston-bucyrus-steam-shovel-or-exc

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1

Crane fly on window

crane-fly-on-window-2T19PAH.jpg

Junction of Newland and Mint Street from Guildhall Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

junction-of-newland-and-mint-street-from

Lady helper putting helmet on small boy sitting on practice jousting horse, Lincoln castle, Lincoln City.

lady-helper-putting-helmet-on-small-boy-

Seed head of Hogweed wild plant 

seed-head-of-hogweed-wild-plant-2T19PTG.

Edwardian mock tudor building, High street, Lincoln city, Lincolnshire, England, UK

edwardian-mock-tudor-building-high-stree

Allan

• Love 1

Sorry I double posted above.  Next.

Grey Friars Franciscan Friary, Grey Friars Pathway, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

grey-friars-franciscan-friary-grey-friar

Independant shops west side of Steep Hill in midday sun autumn, Steep Hill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

independant-shops-west-side-of-steep-hil

The Horse & Groom Lincolnshire pub & kitchen, Brayford Wharf North, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

the-horse-groom-lincolnshire-pub-kitchen

Person walking on Brayford Way overpass, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK (also person walking under overpass)

person-walking-on-brayford-way-overpass-

Holiday Inn and DoubleTree by Hilton hotels, Brayford Wharf North, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

holiday-inn-and-doubletree-by-hilton-hot

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Welcome folks. More from me.

Coffee Cats Cat Cafe, The Strait, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

coffee-cats-cat-cafe-the-strait-lincoln-

Busy Junction of High Street, Wigford Way and St Mary's Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

busy-junction-of-high-street-wigford-way

Potter making small pot on wheel, The Little Pottery Studio, St Marks shopping centre, Lincoln City

potter-making-small-pot-on-wheel-the-lit

Lincoln Cathedral and Castle observation tower on top of escarpment, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

lincoln-cathedral-and-castle-observation

View down Steep Hill from Wordsworth Street, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

view-down-steep-hill-from-wordsworth-str

Odeon cinema and Cathedral from Brayford Wharf South, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England, UK

odeon-cinema-and-cathedral-from-brayford

Allan

• Love 2

Only one page to this thread for October? Are people disheartened? I haven't uploaded for some time myself for various reasons, mostly I was in very remote locations where life away from a computer screen was far more interesting.

Here is some Australiana seen along the Heritage Trail in the Outback at Sandstone, Western Australia - Population at last census =19 families

What do you think the image below is? A brewery of course! It was dug in the rock in 1907 by an Irishman (who else?) to keep beer cool in gold rush days.

From the top-most storey, where water was pumped from a well, the product of the establishment found its way by gravitation to the coolers (which were provided with fans in the hot weather) thence to two large vats on the main floor.

2T2XM2A.jpg

Contradiction Well - This well is an example of many such wells sunk throughout the region by the Government in the early 1900s to cater for the needs of miners and their animals. It was probably dug to a depth of about 100 metres and water was brought to the surface by windlass and bucket

2T2XM2Y.jpg

London Bridge in the Outback!

2T2XM2T.jpg

2T2XM2W.jpg

2T2XM18.jpg

2T2XM4A.jpg

Old rusty Vauxhall Velox

2T2XM5D.jpg

2T2XM5A.jpg

• Love 2

A geologist paradise: Hamersley Gorge, Karijini National Park, Pilbara, Western Australia

2T2PCHX.jpg

2T2PCJA.jpg

2T2PCNN.jpg

2T2PCE2.jpg

2T2PCDF.jpg

2T2PCFG.jpg

2T2PCT1.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 4

1 minute ago, NYCat said:

Thanks for the tour, Gen. That bird doesn't look like it's wearing likely camouflage but, of course, it is.

Paulette

It's a spinifex pigeon. I like them. In the golden evening light, its colour perfectly matched the environment. They are not too shy either, so not too difficult to photograph.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

It's a spinifex pigeon. I like them. In the golden evening light, its colour perfectly matched the environment. They are not too shy either, so not too difficult to photograph.

Thanks for coming on board and the boost Gen.

Lovely images.  Did you try a walk over the sandstone bridge?

Allan

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks for coming on board and the boost Gen.

Lovely images.  Did you try a walk over the sandstone bridge?

Allan

Verboten. The bridge is about to collapse. Lots of people do it of course.

In the past, people came here for picnics with horses and drays going over the bridge.

A mixed bag of Australian pioneering history and town shots.

Documented below is the Canning Stock Route, a 1,850km track running through the desert in Western Australia. It was used to bring cattle to markets. It is now a popular challenging four wheel drive trek taking a minimum of 10 days.

Metal sculptures depicting the 1906 Alfred Canning expedition to map the Canning Stock Route, Wiluna, Western Australia, Australia

2T34K01.jpg

Historic cattle trough at Well 1 on the Canning Stock Route, Western Australia, Australia

2T34KAK.jpg

2T34KAW.jpg

Shelter with a metal sculpture of a kangaroo in the remote Outback town of Wiluna, gateway to the Canning Stock Route, Western Australia, Australia

2T34K7D.jpg

Wiluna Cemetery, Western Australia, Australia

2T34KPG.jpg

Broome, Western Australia, Australia

2T34KXG.jpg

Fusion artwork at Napier Terrace and Carnarvon Street roundabout in Broome Chinatown. It has 200 kilos of pearl shell and Jarrah from the wood of an old bridge. Broome, Western Australia, Australia

2T34KX1.jpg

• Love 1

And now a bit of adventure in the middle of woop woop.

My intended market is outdoor / off-road / camping / travel activities

Our Toyota Coaster bus motorhome camped in the wilderness. Only us for hundreds of kms there.

Our campfire looks like Mt Etna but it's only because of long exposure, it was quite reasonable in size.

2T38D20.jpg

2T38D2P.jpg

To get to the location above, we had to drive through numerous creeks. The water is released periodically by the nearby mine and floods creekbeds. The longest crossing was a narrow corridor 600m long bordered by reeds. There was no turning back, we had to keep going. We called first on the radio to make sure no-one was coming the other way. 'Coaster bus coming through, anyone around? Do you copy?' Silence. After repeating 3 times, with our heart in our mouth, we got going. Not for the faint hearted. I have no pictures of it as I couldn't get off the vehicle obviously! Only snapshots through the windscreen while hanging onto my seat. Next day, a brand new Ford Ranger appeared, limping. It had taken in water in the electronics on the long stretch and was likely a write off. Not happy owners!

2T38D2R.jpg

We had a drink or two with this travelling couple, owners of a Toyota fan edition fj50. Real adventurers. Our jaw dropped when we saw the videos of their adventures.

2T38D0A.jpg

2T38CY4.jpg

Waking up after our first night all alone at the remote spot above, we heard the noise of a helicopter. Incredibly, it landed next to us. Good luck we did not have the awning out, it would have been blown away! A group of scientists came out and proceeded to do some research on the water quality of the pool. We were incredulous.

2T38D3T.jpg

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 3
  • Like 2

More from me.

Lincolnshire Cheese shop celebrating 5 years trading with yellow balloon display around doorway, Steep Hill, Lincoln City

lincolnshire-cheese-shop-celebrating-5-y

Middle section of Steep Hill In bright autumn sun shine, Lincoln City

middle-section-of-steep-hill-in-bright-a

The Link Up, St Marks Shopping centre, Lincoln City

the-link-up-st-marks-shopping-centre-lin

Students' Union hall, Lincoln University, Lincoln City

students-union-hall-lincoln-university-l

View Brayford Wharf North row of restaurants, Lincoln City

view-brayford-wharf-north-row-of-restaur

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

More from me.

Lincolnshire Cheese shop celebrating 5 years trading with yellow balloon display around doorway, Steep Hill, Lincoln City

lincolnshire-cheese-shop-celebrating-5-y

Middle section of Steep Hill In bright autumn sun shine, Lincoln City

middle-section-of-steep-hill-in-bright-a

The Link Up, St Marks Shopping centre, Lincoln City

the-link-up-st-marks-shopping-centre-lin

Students' Union hall, Lincoln University, Lincoln City

students-union-hall-lincoln-university-l

View Brayford Wharf North row of restaurants, Lincoln City

view-brayford-wharf-north-row-of-restaur

Allan

Good efforts Allan. Zizzi is regularly in searches. 

• Thanks 1

Here's some of mine from this month.

An autumnal pub.

autumn-pub-the-bell-inn-covered-in-red-v

I visited Southsea, Portsmouth, to see the Great South Run. Unfortunately the sun was right behind the runners at the start, but I did get a few photos that were OK, particularly the fun runners along the course.

The elite men just after the start.

great-south-run-15-october-2023-portsmou

Cookie monster..

The hovercraft going to the Isle of Wight.

passenger-hovercraft-between-southsea-po

And a couple from a small Apple Day event at Alresford, with kids making apple faces and musical entertainment.

kids-children-decorating-apples-with-can

kids-children-decorating-apples-with-can

southampton-ukelele-jam-musicians-perfor

The steam trains were also running that weekend on the Watercress Line.

alresford-station-during-the-watercress-

• Like 1