Denoise?

5 hours ago, NYCat said:

When in your editing process do you use it?

Paulette

I begin my edit in LrC, Miss P. If I need to use Denoise, I use it just before exporting the image to my desktop. From there, I drag it into Ps. I do a lot of street cleaning in PhotoShop. Just before I save the image to send to Alamy, I give it a final look in Image>Adjustments>Brightness/Contrast. 

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm wondering what others think of the new Denoise tool in LrC. 

Saved several pictures.   The alternative way would be lots of juggling masks between subject and background, plus giving up on some photos. 

I believe a few other programs have AI Denoise, also. 

11 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I begin my edit in LrC, Miss P. If I need to use Denoise, I use it just before exporting the image to my desktop. From there, I drag it into Ps. I do a lot of street cleaning in PhotoShop. Just before I save the image to send to Alamy, I give it a final look in Image>Adjustments>Brightness/Contrast. 

Thank you, Edo. I don't use Photoshop. I have been trying the denoise as a first step in Lightroom. I like the NIK filters and am struggling a bit because it changed from the old, old version and they don't seem to be as good about providing simple tutorials. I just upgraded to version 6 and am starting to use Color Efex Pro. Anthony Morganti seems to be the only online teacher who is super-clear and he doesn't have anything that I can find on Color Efex Pro 6. 

Paulette

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NYCat said:

When in your editing process do you use it?

Paulette

Early on, and definitely before applying any masks. You can open up the shadows first to reveal any noisy areas, and then undo this after applying denoise.

Alex

I have just started using Lightroom's denoise feature and I can say that I am truly impressed. I'm now able to "recover" high ISO photos that I would not dare to send to Alamy due to high noise, specially shots taken inside churches and other poorly lit places. Yes, it is possible to remove noise manually, but this is a huge time saver. The fact that the default setting is fine for most shots is another plus.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's really good, just started using it! But takes at least 10 minutes per photo - could be my old machine? 🤔

Also, is there a good reason for applying de-noising first? It's the last thing I do.

Edited by Steve F
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve F said:

It's really good, just started using it! But takes at least 10 minutes per photo - could be my old machine? 🤔

Also, is there a good reason for applying de-noising first? It's the last thing I do.

The slowness is definitely due to using an old machine. It takes 25-30 seconds for a 45MP Nikon raw file and around 20 seconds for a 24MP file on my 2021 MacBook Pro. 

For this new AI Denoise to work most effectively you are supposed to use a completely unprocessed file so no sharpening or other processing before using it.

For a normal non-AI workflow, I think the reason for applying NR first is probably because it alters the appearance of the image when viewed at high mag but I don't think it is likely to have much if any effect either way in a non-destructive workflow in LR/ACR. That would not be the case in a destructive workflow of course.

I think the Denoise is impressive overall but I've not been using it apart from experimenting ,as it adds a new step to the workflow in generating a DNG file. As I always keep the original raws, this would entail keeping the DNG as well. I use Nikon lossless compressed raws which are around 60MB from camera but the generated DNG is decompressed and weighs in around 180MB so would add quite a bit to storage requirements. 

Edited by MDM
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, MDM said:

The slowness is definitely due to using an old machine. It takes 25-30 seconds for a 45MP Nikon raw file and around 20 seconds for a 24MP file on my 2021 MacBook Pro. 

For this new AI Denoise to work most effectively you are supposed to use a completely unprocessed file so no sharpening or other processing before using it.

Ah nuts. Was a state of the art machine when I got it at the start of 2016. Photoshop has started telling me that my graphics chip is not up to scratch too... 🙈

Thanks MDM, changed my editing to use the AI denoise at the beginning. I just had a bunch of shots I took indoors at ISO 1600, AI denoise did a great job.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2023 at 16:45, Pekka Liukkonen said:

I don´t use LR so I´ve been using it in ACR. It is great. I tested it by shooting indoor museum images at 3200 ISO and results were great! Passed easely QC...

I also use PS ACR  DeNoise (guess its identical to the LR module).

I also have the Topaz products/PS plug-ins, Topaz Sharpen AI is a bit agressive for me, but has saved many pictures (it does denoise at the same time if you want it to, and the masking is better than DeNoise AI)

Edited by StokeCreative

44 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Any body taken it over 12800?

Yes and the results made normal white skin look like plastic. However, that question is fundamentally meaningless without stating what camera was used and assuming a reasonably correct exposure (Nikon Z7).

Edited by MDM

On 19/08/2023 at 04:39, Steve F said:

Photoshop has started telling me that my graphics chip is not up to scratch too

On 19/08/2023 at 04:39, Steve F said:

Photoshop has started telling me that my graphics chip is not up to scratch too

If willing, what are you doing about it?
I've seen that for several months, all seems to work AOK despite it,

sometimes have to reboot after numerous such messages...

confusing instructions appear for resolving but can't follow them, need help...

not sure what I'm missing by NOT fixing this, haven't tried Denoise yet....
(well once, but very slow, 2017 Lenovo P40 Yoga -- is this "old"?)

does Adobe Photoshop have US phone tech support included in $10US/mo plan?

Advice from ANYONE appreciated -- thanks in advance...

Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg

2 hours ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

If willing, what are you doing about it?
I've seen that for several months, all seems to work AOK despite it,

sometimes have to reboot after numerous such messages...

confusing instructions appear for resolving but can't follow them, need help...

not sure what I'm missing by NOT fixing this, haven't tried Denoise yet....
(well once, but very slow, 2017 Lenovo P40 Yoga -- is this "old"?)

does Adobe Photoshop have US phone tech support included in $10US/mo plan?

Advice from ANYONE appreciated -- thanks in advance...

If your current computer can't run Photoshop/ACR/Lightroom , then it is old in terms of what you want to use it for. It may not be too old for someone who wants to use it as an office machine but, if you are getting messages that your graphics card is not up to the job, then it's time for a new machine. I doubt you can upgrade the graphics on that machine and, even if you could, it would be false economy. The simple fact is that Adobe imaging software needs a reasonably fast machine to run smoothly. So it's either hang around and wait for it to do a job very slowly or not at all, or get something that is up to the job.

ADVICE: Probably not what you want to hear but the simplest advice if you want to work on a laptop is to get a Mac. Since the advent of Apple's silicon chip in 2020, Mac laptops are generally considered to be far superior in terms of performance than Windows laptops for graphics works - photography, video etc. There are several advantages but I won't waste time outlining these unless you are genuinely interested. 

Edited by MDM

16 hours ago, MDM said:

Yes and the results made normal white skin look like plastic. However, that question is fundamentally meaningless without stating what camera was used and assuming a reasonably correct exposure (Nikon Z7).

Appreciate the edit.

14 hours ago, MDM said:

If your current computer can't run Photoshop/ACR/Lightroom , then it is old in terms of what you want to use it for. It may not be too old for someone who wants to use it as an office machine but, if you are getting messages that your graphics card is not up to the job, then it's time for a new machine. I doubt you can upgrade the graphics on that machine and, even if you could, it would be false economy. The simple fact is that Adobe imaging software needs a reasonably fast machine to run smoothly. So it's either hang around and wait for it to do a job very slowly or not at all, or get something that is up to the job.

Nope. If he does not need all the recent bells and whistles available in PS, he can install an older version, e.g. 22.5.X and do all basic edits, even with layers depending on the amount of RAM he has. Although I never would recommend using a laptop for photo editing (as I indicated when JIG inquired on a laptop purchase a few months ago), that could be a solution that I use on a couple of travel laptops and "office" laptops of my daughters who do not use PS heavily but sometimes they do. Believe you or not, Mac is not the only solution available over there.

Edited by IKuzmin

2 hours ago, IKuzmin said:

Nope. If he does not need all the recent bells and whistles available in PS, he can install an older version, e.g. 22.5.X and do all basic edits, even with layers depending on the amount of RAM he has. Although I never would recommend using a laptop for photo editing (as I indicated when JIG inquired on a laptop purchase a few months ago), that could be a solution that I use on a couple of travel laptops and "office" laptops of my daughters who do not use PS heavily but sometimes they do. Believe you or not, Mac is not the only solution available over there.

I totally agree that photo editing on a laptop is not to be recommended unless one is also using a decent external monitor that can be properly calibrated. However, a decent laptop is useful for travelling and I use one myself for that purpose.

To be clear, I wasn't claiming that Mac is the only solution and I am not intending to start a pointless debate on Mac v PC as that leads nowhere. However, Jeff was asking was for advice on what to do about his outdated laptop graphics card so I suggested a new computer as upgrading an old laptop is either impossible or not economiccally feasible. I suggested a Mac for some very good reasons - again not worth going into detail unless requested. That said, I would just point out that, as far as I know, Edo is using the original entry level MacBook Air purchased in 2020 and he is claiming above that it does a Denoise in 20s on his Sony 24MP files. Now that is impressive for a three year old entry level machine. 

Of course Jeff would have the option of using an earlier version of Photoshop/ACR but that would not be with Denoise, which is  the subject of the thread, so I would assume that he is also looking for advice on how to use this feature.  Again the only feasible option is to get a new computer really. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1