Denoise?

3 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

Every time I log in and see this subject, I can't help thinking 'Van Outen?'

????? Maybe I'm out of touch but I've never thought Van Outen myself. When I see the word Denoise I think of my neighbours and my noise cancelling headphones. 

I'm surprised by how reducing noise also makes certain images sharper - I've used it for some garden images where it gives me nicer bokeh for the background. I just finished one where it brought out amazing detail e.g. in the hairs of a bumble bee by simple using the denoise function. It took 3 minutes for a Sony A7riv 61MP image with my late 2018 Macbook Pro (purchased early February 2019), 32GB RAM, dual graphics cards, fastest processor I could get at the time 2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9 which runs hot - @MDM your comment that the M1s run cooler is intriguing. With Covid and having had so many bouts of vertigo since getting my second vaccine, life has been so monotonous that I didn't actually realize I've had this laptop longer than any others. I usually find I have to replace them every four years, which is why I tried to future proof this one. I look forward to getting advice here.

I was going to try a similar image from my 42MP A7rii to compare the exact time difference, but after processing a few images (one dng & the rest just Sony ARW (RAW) switching between LR & PS, I had to force quit LR & will have to restart my computer.

I find a significant time and other difference when doing the same things in PS ACR vs. LR Classic- but don't want to hijack this so starting another thread

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marianne said:

I'm surprised by how reducing noise also makes certain images sharper - I've used it for some garden images where it gives me nicer bokeh for the background. I just finished one where it brought out amazing detail e.g. in the hairs of a bumble bee by simple using the denoise function. It took 3 minutes for a Sony A7riv 61MP image with my late 2018 Macbook Pro (purchased early February 2019), 32GB RAM, dual graphics cards, fastest processor I could get at the time 2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9 which runs hot - @MDM your comment that the M1s run cooler is intriguing. With Covid and having had so many bouts of vertigo since getting my second vaccine, life has been so monotonous that I didn't actually realize I've had this laptop longer than any others. I usually find I have to replace them every four years, which is why I tried to future proof this one. I look forward to getting advice here.

I've read your other thread and I'll have to get back to you as there is a lot in it, much of which I can't actually answer (e.g. I don't use ACR or freehand adjustment brushes). In simple terms, 3 minutes is a long time and practically not workable unless you are very patient so if Denoise is important to you the answer is a new machine. I don't have a 61MP file to test it but would be happy to do so if you would like to provide one on Dropbox or the like, My 45MP Nikon Raw Lossless Compressed files take about 25-30 seconds with Denoise on my M1 Max 2021 MacBook Pro. More recent equivalent machines will be even faster I guess.

The Silicon Macs use a completely new architecture the details of which are above my level of knowledge save to say that you don't have to think about graphics cards or RAM any more as they work together in these new integrated chips. The downside is that they cannot be upgraded at all so you need to make sure that anything you buy is properly future-proofed. I can give specific advice in the other thread when I get a chance if you are thinking new Mac.

The reason for the Denoise sharpening is I presume related to the Raw Details feature which is automatically applied with Denoise it seems. That is another machine learning thing which is been around for a bit longer but I've not used it before now. It's very impressive indeed as it only seems to affect the subject and not the background (thinking flower close-ups or portraits). 

Edited by MDM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a bunch of ISO4800 ( or thereabouts )  from my X-T5.  The Fuji JPGs did a reasonable job of denoising, but the result was a bit blurry. The LR de-noise on the raws was much better, and that vast majority of the pictures were useable.   I've got a high spec Dell XPS laptop, and it take about 10 seconds ( and thats for a high mpixel count ).

One useful trick I eventually realised, after sitting there waiting for the de-noise to finish, and then move onto the next picture, is to put all the pictures you want to de-noise into a collection.  Then just highlight all the pictures, hit de-noise then go out and do something else, and let the PC chunder away for an hour.

• Love 1
  • Like 1