Need some advice for soft or lacking definition reason

Excuse me, sorry if my question sounds basic.
I am a new contributor at Alamy.com. I'm currently in the test submission stage. After submitting 3 photos, The Alamy team was said that one of my photos did not pass QC because it was soft or lacking definition. After I evaluated the photo, I didn't find the error which they mention. Can the contributors here give me a technical guide on my photo mistake and how I can fix it?

This is the photo link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bfH2x8QsViC_Sf5a5TMB1jmCi7654tcP/view?usp=sharing

Thank you very much for all the information and advice provided

Musafir

+2

Alamy aren't looking for any thing special, they just to see if you can shoot AND select a sharp image. Shoot someting man made with sharp edges, a building or a tin of soup.

Good luck.

Edited by Mr Standfast
shocking spelling
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 17/07/2023 at 05:36, Musafir Timur said:

I am a new contributor at Alamy.com. I'm currently in the test submission stage. After submitting 3 photos, The Alamy team was said that one of my photos did not pass QC because it was soft or lacking definition. After I evaluated the photo, I didn't find the error which they mention. Can the contributors here give me a technical guide on my photo mistake and how I can fix it?

This is the photo link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bfH2x8QsViC_Sf5a5TMB1jmCi7654tcP/view?usp=sharing

Musafir

I look forward to seeing your photos. I love that one. The problem with shooting animals is that they are always moving even in small amounts so for your first submissions I would stick with easier subjects. With animals they should be checking the eyes as the spot of focus.

Paulette

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Having looked at your photo it does not have focus in any part. Granted the nearest point in focus is the bears eyes but still blurred.

Maybe when you took the shot you moved the camera.  What lens were you using and what make and model of camera are you using?

Allan

• Thanks 1

Downsizing might have helped save that image. You can go as small as 3000 pixels on the long side (17MB). As others have mentioned, though, it's not the best subject to include in your test submission. Best of luck.

P.S. Love the bear.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Thanks 1

As Paulette mentioned, the eyes need to be tack sharp on any animal, bird, whatever. That goes for portraits of people also, The leading eye (the one closest to you) should be sharp.

I have taken pictures of birds & their eyes are small. Sometimes the focus box didn’t get it right because the whole had fit in the focus box. I just tossed those images, sorry to say, but necessary.

• Thanks 1

Besides the possible focussing / movement possibilities.

I see from the EXIF data the image was taken with a Nikon D3100 with a Tamron 28-200mm zoom at f/10 1/320th sec ISO 800. IMO that's pushing it a bit. Tamron "super-zoom" lenses can struggle to reach Alamy QC standards unless the image is downsized (this image isn't). I also suspect it might be a jpeg straight from the camera (there's no editing data in the EXIF) so maybe the Camera applied some noise reduction at ISO 800 which may have reduced definition too?

For best results, shoot in RAW format and perform careful noise reduction and sharpening using computer based software. Stick to prime lenses or 3x zooms (or downsize the final image to 3000 x 2000 pixels). Keep ISO low.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

On 17/07/2023 at 10:36, Musafir Timur said:

This is the photo link

Musafir

One of my test images, indeed at ISO 800 with a similar old Nikon, failed because of noise; a nice image of a Buddhist monk with a pan of coloured bones from a deceased person with the family around it. I have sold loads with a Nikon D3100, which buyers can find on Ebay for £60, so nobody is forced to spend a fortune on gear.  As others say, test images suggest static subjects, lots of light, careful focus, camera on something solid and low ISO. Now I am old I am often leaning the camera on a handy street pole to reduce the risk of camera shake, not something that I thought about when I was 18. Good luck and welcome soon.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Downsizing might have helped save that image. You can go as small as 3000 pixels on the long side (17MB). As others have mentioned, though, it's not the best subject to include in your test submission. Best of luck.

P.S. Love the bear.

This. However, it's not clear what the problem is with that image- it doesn't seem to be missed focus and it's not subject or camera movement.

It's quite a small image so probably an older camera but that shouldn't be a problem. Maybe a poor kit zoom at too wide an aperture.

Tell us more, OP.

34 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

This. However, it's not clear what the problem is with that image- it doesn't seem to be missed focus and it's not subject or camera movement.

It's quite a small image so probably an older camera but that shouldn't be a problem. Maybe a poor kit zoom at too wide an aperture.

Tell us more, OP.

See Mark's post above.

Allan

On 18/07/2023 at 17:23, Mr Standfast said:

+2

Alamy aren't looking for any thing special, they just to see if you can shoot AND select a sharp image. Shoot someting man made with sharp edges, a building or a tin of soup.

Good luck.

Thank you for the advice. I'll try it

On 18/07/2023 at 23:08, Allan Bell said:

Having looked at your photo it does not have focus in any part. Granted the nearest point in focus is the bears eyes but still blurred.

Maybe when you took the shot you moved the camera.  What lens were you using and what make and model of camera are you using?

Allan

I took the photo using Nikon D3100 and lens Tamron 18-200 mm

1 hour ago, Musafir Timur said:

Looks like perhaps too shallow DOF.    At what aperture was the image captured?

Edited by Phil

42 minutes ago, Phil said:

Looks like perhaps too shallow DOF.    At what aperture was the image captured?

EXIF says f/10.

1 hour ago, Musafir Timur said:

Which version of the 28-200mm was it? I've owned a couple of versions of Tamron's 28-200mm lens over the years, and neither of them would have met Alamy's QC standard, especially at the telephoto end.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman