First sales from my Mexico trip

geogphotos

23 minutes ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Well, not typical tourist photos.  Walmart is ubiquitous worldwide.  

Not in the UK as far as I know. Ah! Of course they bought out ASDA. But again as far as I know they go not use "Walmart" on the store fronts.

Allan

• Like 1

Just now, Allan Bell said:

Not in the UK as far as I know. Ah! Of course they bought out ASDA. But again as far as I know they go not use "Walmart" on the store fronts.

Allan

Maxi Pali in my town is a Walmart subsidiary, but Managua has out and out Walmart.  

2 hours ago, Rebecca Ore said:

Well, not typical tourist photos.  Walmart is ubiquitous worldwide.  

There is no record of the search term used but they either searched for 'Walmart sign Mexico' and would have found the image easily. Or just 'Walmart sign' and then this image would be buried. 

It is just ironic that out of all the pics that I took on that trip - around 2500 are on Alamy - and all the work, time and effort that these are the first three to sell. 

All that they have in common I that they are basic snapshots.

Edited by geogphotos

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

There is no record of the search term used but they either searched for 'Walmart sign Mexico' and would have found the image easily. Or just 'Walmart sign' and then this image would be buried. 

It is just ironic that out of all the pics that I took on that trip - around 2500 are on Alamy - and all the work, time and effort that these are the first three to sell. 

I’ve long thought it’s all nuts and given up trying to understand some of the choices buyers make. I took a load of stuff in Porto a few years back and the first one to sell was of washing drying on a line in a communal laundry area. I think only one other picture, of a church, has sold.

I recall Steve F posted in another recent thread of a sale of an image of the inside of his front door!! Dare say others can can come up with some equally odd examples. Maybe a subject for a new thread (if it hasn’t already been done), “What is the Weirdest Shot You’ve Sold This Week ?”

38 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

There is no record of the search term used but they either searched fro 'Walmart sign Mexico' and would have found the image easily. Or just 'Walmart sign' and then this image would be buried. 

My only Mexican sale was of a photo of a Freda Kahlo self portrait.  Leon photos haven't licensed.  One of the cats and double African violets have, along with some breakfasts and a view of the gutter, have licensed.   Probably should do more still lifes and pretend they weren't taken in Nicaragua.   Re-do my beaded purse with US currency, say.

Nice going. I bet the Mayan Train project image licenses again. Excellent train spotting. I've spent a lot of time travelling around Mexico over the years, and it has been a real treasure trove for me, photographically speaking. Have to say, I've never photographed a Mexican Walmart, though. 🤠

27 minutes ago, Dave Richards said:

I’ve long thought it’s all nuts and given up trying to understand some of the choices buyers make. I took a load of stuff in Porto a few years back and the first one to sell was of washing drying on a line in a communal laundry area. I think only one other picture, of a church, has sold.

I recall Steve F posted in another recent thread of a sale of an image of the inside of his front door!! Dare say others can can come up with some equally odd examples. Maybe a subject for a new thread (if it hasn’t already been done), “What is the Weirdest Shot You’ve Sold This Week ?”

Most interesting landmarks, etc. in well-known places have been photographed to death now, and there are zillions of good images available out there -- i.e. the competition is overwhelming. Consequently, what often sells is the more mundane stuff that most people don't want to photograph.

8 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

Most interesting landmarks, etc. in well-known places have been photographed to death now, and there are zillions of good images available out there -- i.e. the competition is overwhelming. Consequently, what often sells is the more mundane stuff that most people don't want to photograph.

That is precisely what we need to be doing! All the stuff that buyers want but people ( who are not Alamy stock photographers) don't even look at.

A big secret! 

17 minutes ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
Ian M me online chum,
"Walmart sign" = 1939 hits
"Walmart sign" 6 months old or less = 78 hits, yours is #1 !!!
I'm not sayin' its because...
I'm just sayin"...

Thank you Jeff me old mucker😀

Edited by geogphotos

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

That is precisely what we need to be doing! All the stuff that buyers want but people ( who are not Alamy stock photographers) don't even look at.

A big secret! 

That’s a point I tried to make recently when I called them Ho-hum images & was made fun of by someone. By that, I meant the everyday common things that aren’t particularly exciting to shoot, but I shoot them because there is a market for them. And I shoot them carefully when I can.

example…this image was taken at an exotic place, beautiful water, & able to get closeups freely. It excited me. I took a series of this, none has ever sold or been zoomed.

F9BNP5.jpg

Then I walked out in my back yard and took this. Nothing exciting about it at all. Just a very ordinary thing that while I made sure my settings were good, it definitely wasn’t an exciting subject.

It sold.

PF8YAM.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue

47 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Then I walked out in my back yard and took this. Nothing exciting about it at all. Just a very ordinary thing that while I made sure my settings were good, it definitely wasn’t an exciting subject.

It sold.

PF8YAM.jpg

I'm really hoping that isn't a land mine. 😬

3 hours ago, Cecile Marion said:

Sprinkler head?

Yes it is a lawn sprinkler head. I think I took that either during Covid or after my back surgery when I couldn’t get out & about much. There are a few other common around-the-house things I’ve sold.

Sometimes when I scrape the bottom of the barrel, it pays off.

John, you are too funny!

The funny thing about the paddleboard picture. I had my RX 100 in my hand when I spied this guy coming in on his paddleboard. I was in my swimsuit & waded into the water to get these pictures. The waves washed the sand from under my feet & I fell into the water, with my legs going straight up with me spinning, and ending up partially on my back. Through all of that, I held the little camera straight up & it never got wet. Only having one hand to save myself is why I spun.

My body was fine but my pride took a beating, and this guy watched it all & never offered help. In fact, I  think he smirked. Chivalry is dead, I say!

Edited by Betty LaRue

14 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm really hoping that isn't a land mine. 😬

I thought someone had buried a lawn green bowling ball.

Allan

8 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I thought someone had buried a lawn green bowling ball.

Allan

Y’all probably get all the rain you need & don’t need to water your lawn before it dies in plus 100F heat.

2C875JR.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue

13 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Y’all probably get all the rain you need & don’t need to water your lawn before it dies in plus 100F heat.

2C875JR.jpg

Our water companies tell us  "In times of drought do not water your lawn let it go brown it will recover when rains start again".

It seems to work.

Allan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Our water companies tell us  "In times of drought do not water your lawn let it go brown it will recover when rains start again".

It seems to work.

Allan

Same here. The house we were renting had a very large tropical garden. The lawn used to go brown during the dry season and turn bright green again during the monsoon. It was hard to believe it wasn't dead. 

On 17/07/2023 at 18:39, John Mitchell said:

Consequently, what often sells is the more mundane stuff that most people don't want to photograph.

Totally.

On 17/07/2023 at 10:10, geogphotos said:

not exactly what I expected - just goes to show

Ian, join the club. My first ever sale on Alamy was of an Icelandic shopping centre. Never sold any of the pretty waterfalls etc. that I took on that trip.

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

It seems to work.

Allan

Yes that worked with the Burmuda grass lawn we had in Oklahoma City. Very resilient. This lawn, already established when I bought the house, is fescue. If it dies, it is permanently dead. You either have to sod the whole lawn or plant seed only in autumn & apply water several times a day for it to germinate. All the homes in this neighborhood are fescue.

It uses less water to keep it alive than replanting or sodding that requires a lot of watering for it to take.  We’ve been lucky the past month & have gotten intermittent rain enough to keep it alive.