Press ID card.

Andrzej Bajer

Question

Hello everyone,
I have a question: does Alamy have a Press ID card that allows you to receive accreditation at important events. Where a normal person cannot take pictures. For example political events, hockey games, tennis, rodeo etc. If I could get it how do I do it? Thanks for the suggestions.
                                                                   Regards
                                                                   Andrew

On 12/07/2023 at 05:56, sb photos said:

No. In the UK you have to apply to one of the gatekeeper organisations, see https://presscards.co.uk/applying-for-a-uk-press-card/. You would need to investigate the equivalent professional and recognised body in Canada. Alamy may be able to assist you obtaining accreditation for a particular event as a one off.

SB photos is right for the U.K.  As a freelance I have held a U.K. press card for over ten years.  It is renewable every two years.  My experience and that of a friend who is trying to get one is that it is getting more and more difficult and expensive.  It is okay if you work for PA, BBC etc but the freelance route is difficult and arguably designed to discourage.  Incidentally, if you have a criminal record of any sort it will be more difficult if not impossible.
Having said the above for me, but by no means for every news shooter, it is invaluable.  I spent most of my work time in Westminster and there are a number of places there that if you stand for any length of time with or without a camera you will be challenged.  I have been told by a normally reliable source, that a number of urban police services are using facial recognition via cctv and it will recognise you as “press” and not cause any issues.  It is also useful at incidents as the police will not “normally” tell you to move along, although that did happen to me locally in Essex recently.  The other advantage to a press card is that it serves as a gateway to other accreditation that cannot be achieved without one.  As a general comment my personal experience is that for freelancers finding out about events, let alone getting accreditation is more difficult than it used to be.  Accredited events that I have attended for years are no longer even replying to accreditation requests.  
in the UK, getting a press card is generally, but not always, a worthwhile investment.  

• Love 1
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Andrzej Bajer said:

Hello everyone,
I have a question: does Alamy have a Press ID card that allows you to receive accreditation at important events. Where a normal person cannot take pictures. For example political events, hockey games, tennis, rodeo etc. If I could get it how do I do it? Thanks for the suggestions.
                                                                   Regards
                                                                   Andrew

No. In the UK you have to apply to one of the gatekeeper organisations, see https://presscards.co.uk/applying-for-a-uk-press-card/. You would need to investigate the equivalent professional and recognised body in Canada. Alamy may be able to assist you obtaining accreditation for a particular event as a one off.

• Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Be aware that there are some organisations that provide "press cards" to basically anyone. Such as the "International Association of Press Photographers" - ia-pp.com
They're not worth the paper they are printed on. 
I asked them questions a few years ago regarding the validity of their cards in various countries I was planning to visit and they just didn't respond. After half a dozen emails I got a single line "we can't help you" reply.
Some web searching found lots of bad reviews and people saying it's utterly worthless and not recognised anywhere.

If you don't need to provide any proof/samples of your work to a freelance or media accreditation org to get a card that in itself questions the validity of such cards...

There are, I understand, a couple of organisations that provide internationally recognised press cards, such as the IFJ But if you're only working in Canada there should be some national ones as well

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

To apply for credentials, depending on the country, event, etc., sometimes it is required:

- Letter from the agency you work for (or/and);
- Government issued professional registration (or/and);
- Portfolio, tearsheets of publications with credit (or/and);
- National journalists (or related) organisation's issued press card;
- If working abroad, the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ) International Press Card (IPC), can be useful. Only available to members of IFJ-affiliated national journalists' organisations.

As I said, each country has its legal, bureaucratic requirement, especially for official events.

It's my experience from South America.

Cheers,

andre

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I had a press card in NYC, long long ago. Issued by the Police Department on the basis of a letter from an agency, I think. I had one in Rome, a Lasciapassare. That needed a recommendation from the American Embassy. I used it to get the two cards, a MACV and a The Bao Chi, I needed to cover the Vietnam War. Official press cards have always been very hard to get. I don't imagine it's any easier today. 

• Like 2

On 11/07/2023 at 15:08, Andrzej Bajer said:

does Alamy have a Press ID card...

No, but...

as to major sporting events:
Getty or other agency may have exclusive contract
that prevents other shooters from attending;
my advice to those who want credentials but have none:
ask press relations in you local mayor's office to add
your name so you get notified about ANY event that
may be photo opportunity, then go to as many as
possible & when your photos are published show
proof to the right persons in local mayor's office &
they may start granting you passes to bigger events,
then use this as leverage to shoot elsewhere...
its all about proving that you get published after events...
(save all old press passes as proof of press activity)
  • Like 2

On 14/07/2023 at 20:39, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:

its all about proving that you get published after events...
(save all old press passes as proof of press activity)

I agree with this. The best way to gain access is to evidence that you get images published. It’s a bit of a chicken and egg situation, but there are plenty of ways you can take photos without a press pass. Requires a lot of research and developing connections rather than any instant magic pass.

• Like 1

When I was doing travel shoots for airlines, I would ask them for a short letter explaining what I was doing. Often they could provide it in the country's language. A few times, I had to go to the country's counsel office in NYC. This was far more useful than a press card. 

And when I was a stringer for Opera News, a letter from them got me into The Met, rehearsals, and dressing rooms. 

• Love 2

3 hours ago, Andrzej Bajer said:

Thanks for the information and sharing your experience.

Andrzej, you no doubt now seen it is no simple matter. Persistence and luck can pay off to get you started.

Soon after I started contributing to Alamy I applied for and gained a media pass for a large 10K run in Bristol. That gave me access to media passes for other large runs. Useful as using common sense I could move around behind the city centre street barriers and it was easier to shoot the various starts and finishes.

As others have said, beware of 'fake' press passes. I remember when agency Demopix started and caused controversy by supplying their own non approved press passes to their contributors (Demopix are no more, they were bought by Corbis, absorbed by Corbis, then Corbis was absorbed by Getty, I think around 2012).

• Like 1

I have an update on the U.K. Press card issue.   I understand from the NUJ that there is a change in process for new applications.  A friend of mine, who has been applying for the card,  has told me there is now a minimum income from press photography that is required as part of the application process.  I am not going to quote the number as I have been unable to confirm the exact amount.  However, I have been engaging in press photography for over ten years, I am out photographing about three to four days a week.  I do not make anything close to what I understand is the required minimum.  

if this is correct, (and it is an if) then I think that few freelancers will be able to get a card.  This is sad as the market will become controlled by the big agencies like PA, Getty etc.  

I accept that a U.K. press card is not essential for news photography but it is incredibly helpful, particularly when dealing with “the authorities”.  

Being a pessimist by nature I suspect it will only be a matter of time before the requirement is extended to renewals.  There is a logic to a minimum income level requirement, but if my understanding of the level is correct, and I am assuming that the level is net earnings rather than gross then again, as a guess, few Alamy news shooters will qualify.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

I have an update on the U.K. Press card issue.   I understand from the NUJ that there is a change in process for new applications.  A friend of mine, who has been applying for the card,  has told me there is now a minimum income from press photography that is required as part of the application process.  I am not going to quote the number as I have been unable to confirm the exact amount.  However, I have been engaging in press photography for over ten years, I am out photographing about three to four days a week.  I do not make anything close to what I understand is the required minimum.  

if this is correct, (and it is an if) then I think that few freelancers will be able to get a card.  This is sad as the market will become controlled by the big agencies like PA, Getty etc.  

I accept that a U.K. press card is not essential for news photography but it is incredibly helpful, particularly when dealing with “the authorities”.  

Being a pessimist by nature I suspect it will only be a matter of time before the requirement is extended to renewals.  There is a logic to a minimum income level requirement, but if my understanding of the level is correct, and I am assuming that the level is net earnings rather than gross then again, as a guess, few Alamy news shooters will qualify.

Thanks Oh well Will not bother trying to get one I will not qualify at all 

1 hour ago, IanDavidson said:

Nothing new on the NUJ website.  I hope that this does not chrystalise because it seems to be at odds with the ethos of a trade union.

When I joined  the NUJ  couple of years ago head office were taking the role of gate keepers  very seriously. It was only the help of local NUJ members who I had stood in the rain with at protests and marches and who had who seen my editorial pictures published that got me through the convoluted head office joining process. 

Just like to add to previous comments on access, a polite professional approach gets you access to press calls and the like. Press card is not a must have.

James

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Nothing new on the NUJ website.  I hope that this does not chrystalise because it seems to be at odds with the ethos of a trade union.

The NUJ have confirmed to me there are changes for new applicants and not for existing press card holders.   It may be, and I don’t know, that the minimum income requirement is set by the U.K. press card authority.  I am undertaking some further Research on the subject. 

• Like 1

How does the NUJ suggest that a new photographer reaches the income threshold without having an NUJ Press Card?

Isn't this what is called a 'closed shop' or 'restrictive practice'?

From Google ( I am no lawyer)

"In relation to the pre-entry closed shop.......... "Its raison d'être is to exclude people from jobs by denying them union membership". All forms of closed shops in the UK are illegal following the introduction of the Employment Act 1990."
Edited by geogphotos

9 hours ago, geogphotos said:

How does the NUJ suggest that a new photographer reaches the income threshold without having an NUJ Press Card?

"In relation to the pre-entry closed shop.......... "Its raison d'être is to exclude people from jobs by denying them union membership". All forms of closed shops in the UK are illegal following the introduction of the Employment Act 1990."

It's not a closed shop- unlike the bad old days, unions can't compel membership as a condition of engagement.

Edited by spacecadet

39 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

It's not a closed shop- unlike the bad old days, unions can't compel membership as a condition of engagement.

I'm sure that you are correct but it does seem that the photographer needs a card to get sufficient access to work , and access to card/work is controlled by the NUJ.

It doesn't affect me personally so I will keep my nose out

Edited by geogphotos

On 28/08/2023 at 09:10, IanDavidson said:

I am assuming that the level is net earnings rather than gross...

No, mate, no !!

Gross is what your image fetched.

Then part of it went to agent man!!
Another part went to tax man;

Another part went to camera store man;

Another part went to wifey;

😵  Enough left for fish & chips...

Edited by Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

I'm sure that you are correct but it does seem that the photographer needs a card to get sufficient access to work , and access to card/work is controlled by the NUJ

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I'm sure that you are correct but it does seem that the photographer needs a card to get sufficient access to work , and access to card/work is controlled by the NUJ

Iain, just for information, there are other "gatekeepers" who can issue press cards to freelancers; although I understand the majority of freelancers use the NUJ>

On 28/08/2023 at 14:10, IanDavidson said:

Hi Ian,

Have just taken a look at the press card section on the NUJ website, and it doesn't ask for income, merely that news gathering forms a 'substantial part' of the news gathered income (excluding pensions). This is for *renewals* however.

I had a student press card, and then graduated to a regular card following an interview and portfolio review.

I guess one could phone up the gateway organisation of choice and gather advice that way prior to applying. To begin with it may be that one has to provide a written case in support of the application.

I'm pretty sure 'proof of income' is always gross (but could be wrong).

Edited by BidC

On 28/08/2023 at 15:40, Mr Standfast said:

When I joined  the NUJ  couple of years ago head office were taking the role of gate keepers  very seriously. It was only the help of local NUJ members who I had stood in the rain with at protests and marches and who had who seen my editorial pictures published that got me through the convoluted head office joining process. 

Just like to add to previous comments on access, a polite professional approach gets you access to press calls and the like. Press card is not a must have.

James

James: I'd post a link, but it contains my NUJ number and not sure if it would transcribe.

However, if you log in and then follow the links to the UK press card application (freelance), you will see it asks for % of income, excluding pensions.

I think there was a time when it asked for specific income, but that section seems to have gone.

The above is for renewals, however.

•  
  •  

On 29/08/2023 at 08:45, geogphotos said:

The income section is for renewals

On 29/08/2023 at 09:15, Lynchpics said:

Temporary Freelance membership seems  to still be available https://www.nuj.org.uk/join/how-much-will-it-cost.html

Best to ask the office, as 'temporary membership' (from memory) doesn't qualify for a press card, but there is another category that does (and I forget the names of the categories).