Press ID card.

Andrzej Bajer

Question

Hello everyone,
I have a question: does Alamy have a Press ID card that allows you to receive accreditation at important events. Where a normal person cannot take pictures. For example political events, hockey games, tennis, rodeo etc. If I could get it how do I do it? Thanks for the suggestions.
                                                                   Regards
                                                                   Andrew

1 minute ago, BidC said:

Have just taken a look at the press card section on the NUJ website, and it doesn't ask for income, merely that news gathering forms a 'substantial part' of the news gathered income (excluding pensions). I had a student press card, and then graduated to a regular card following an interview and portfolio review.

Bid

it was our friend Richard who told me this.  When the application form asked him to estimate income from photography he put in amount and was told that was insufficient.  The NUJ has confirmed to me that there is a new application process for new applicants, that does not apply to renewals (yet!). 

I don’t know if this is a NUJ initiative, a new interpretation of the rules or a scheme wide change.   Or, even if it is some sort of tweak to the application system to dissuade new applicants.

The NUJ now takes pension income into account when assessing sub levels.  My subscription has trebled.  I don't think my pension has anything to do with the NUJ and in addition, as I have told them, it is direct age discrimination!  The NUJ seems to want it always (to the disadvantage of their members).  They want to include pension for calculating earnings for subs yet don’t include it for new press card applications.  I am a supporter of the NUJ but the appearance is that when it come to important economic issues ideals go out the window.

one thing I found immensely annoying is that I discovered that Avalon (the agency) has both gatekeeper status, and so can issue cards but also is on the royal rota!  (That means they get accreditation for royal events) Because of the PA ownership of Alamy we, news photographers, are never going to have those privileges.  We really are the lowest of the low…

3 hours ago, IanDavidson said:

Bid

it was our friend Richard who told me this.  When the application form asked him to estimate income from photography he put in amount and was told that was insufficient.  The NUJ has confirmed to me that there is a new application process for new applicants, that does not apply to renewals (yet!). 

I don’t know if this is a NUJ initiative, a new interpretation of the rules or a scheme wide change.   Or, even if it is some sort of tweak to the application system to dissuade new applicants.

The NUJ now takes pension income into account when assessing sub levels.  My subscription has trebled.  I don't think my pension has anything to do with the NUJ and in addition, as I have told them, it is direct age discrimination!  The NUJ seems to want it always (to the disadvantage of their members).  They want to include pension for calculating earnings for subs yet don’t include it for new press card applications.  I am a supporter of the NUJ but the appearance is that when it come to important economic issues ideals go out the window.

one thing I found immensely annoying is that I discovered that Avalon (the agency) has both gatekeeper status, and so can issue cards but also is on the royal rota!  (That means they get accreditation for royal events) Because of the PA ownership of Alamy we, news photographers, are never going to have those privileges.  We really are the lowest of the low…

Ah yes - that's true.  Renewals differ from New applications. Such a shame ... maybe he could try one of the other gatekeepers ?  https://bectu.org.uk for eg ? Its a great shame he was turned down (but hopefully only on the first attempt ...).

The site clearly says pension income is not taken into account (though maybe again thats just for renewals).

I could post the link, but it contains my membership number.

The NUJ are possibly responding to complaints from some who object to the way the NUJ have managed the system in the past.   I'd agree everyone has the right to explore a new pathway in retirement from a previous career. This could be at any age. Perhaps also there are other factors we are not aware of at stake.

I'm not sure why ownership of PA disqualifies accreditation for the royal rota .... 

Why not join Avalon - I'm not quite there yet, but maybe in the future .... 

Edited by BidC