July 2023 Favourite Uploads

gvallee

11 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I like the ones where the cowboy hats are wearing those toddler boys. Smart hats.

I think you mean that one of Gen's with the 2 boys in huge hats. I agree, it's very cute.

Stunning sky while camping in the Outback. They are altocumulus stratiformus undulatus or Wave Clouds. They form when parts of moving air condense at the elevation of the dew point temperature.

2RBBXCT.jpg

We are cock-a-hoop with our new toy. Internet anywhere in the Outback now with Starlink. I can check my avalanche of sales from the desert 😜

2RBBXDC.jpg

Sunrise in the Australian Outback

2RBBY21.jpg

Two goannas fighting sculpture outside a roadhouse in the Outback

2RAMRNK.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

Stunning sky while camping in the Outback. They are altocumulus stratiformus undulatus or Wave Clouds. They form when parts of moving air condense at the elevation of the dew point temperature.

2RBBXCT.jpg

We are cock-a-hoop with our new toy. Internet anywhere in the Outback now with Starlink. I can check my avalanche of sales from the desert 😜

2RBBXDC.jpg

Sunrise in the Australian Outback

2RBBY21.jpg

Two goannas fighting sculpture outside a roadhouse in the Outback

2RAMRNK.jpg

Gen,

Love looking at your images, saving me a very long flight to a place I've never wanted to visit (nothing meant against the "Down Under").  Hey, that STARLINK gives you good internet access?  I go back to a large suitcase with a folding dish and costing $80.00 per minute and it was slow.

Anyway always enjoy looking at you images, the "sunrise" is wonderful.

Chuck

30 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Camels and Pigs Races at Bedourie, a traditional Outback event, Queensland, Australia

2RBCCED.jpg

2RBCD7C.jpg

2RBCCY8.jpg

2RBCD2D.jpg

I like how the pigs have racing colors just like horses/jockeys. Camel jockeys, too.

• Love 1

On 08/07/2023 at 03:26, NYCat said:

Are you like Kertész now...taking photos from your window? I like it. His were of Washington Park. I used to cat-sit in his building and they have one of his photos in the lobby.

Paulette

Eugene Smith also did the images from the window of his loft: "One of the largest photographic essays that he produced was of the city of Pittsburgh. He moved to Pittsburgh where he threw himself, obsessively, into the project. Smith took more than 11,000 photographs, but was physically, mentally and financially broke after the project. The images were never published and caused turmoil with Magnum and Smith’s family. He left Magnum and his family and moved to New York where he produced a series of images from his window."

45 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Gen,

Love looking at your images, saving me a very long flight to a place I've never wanted to visit (nothing meant against the "Down Under").  Hey, that STARLINK gives you good internet access?  I go back to a large suitcase with a folding dish and costing $80.00 per minute and it was slow.

Anyway always enjoy looking at you images, the "sunrise" is wonderful.

Chuck

Starlink is super fast. It only costs us US$150 a month for 1TB. Previously in the Bush, we had no Internet, only a satellite phone in case of emergency at A$1 a minute. It will also allow us to give up our Telstra dongle for towns. And sat phone. A win win.

44 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I like how the pigs have racing colors just like horses/jockeys. Camel jockeys, too.

Miss Pinky Piggy won! 

Young Vietnamese men present an offering of flowers, fruit and water for a male friend, named Thành Kot, aged 20, who drowned in Chao Phraya River at the Royal Thai Naval Dockyard, Bangkok, Thailand, a week prior. They are sending the  offering to their deceased friend and this is an important part of the death ritual and their duties towards their friend in Vietnamese society. The white flowers in the offering are a metaphor for the cyclical nature of life, symbolizing purification and regeneration.

2RBBKXX.jpg

Young Vietnamese men burn offerings or joss papers or ghost papers for a friend, named Thành Kot, who had died at the age of 20. Joss papers are papers made with specific patterns, colors, and symbols to imitate valuables such as money, gold, houses, and cars. The act of burning them is believed to create a link to the afterlife, sending the offerings to the deceased family members. People believe that the deceased person will have a better life through this ritual.

2RB6FKG.jpg

Young Vietnamese men have a simple funeral wake meal together in memory of their male friend, named Thành Kot, aged 20, who drowned twelve days prior. For Vietnamese people food plays a large role in funeral traditions and rituals, both for the person who has died and his or her surviving loved ones. The meal, like this one, traditionally includes chicken, as roosters are seen in Vietnamese folklore as a sacred sacrifice because the Vietnamese think it connects the world of the living and the world of genies.

2RBBN85.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 1

From either one of the a7 Sony cameras that are now on their way to another country.

2RB6PG2.jpg

A fried example of a cichlid species that I had planned to keep in my 130 gallon 80 inch tank before realizing it wasn't really big enough for Jaguar cichlids.  Rice and carrots in front, both stewed and fresh tomatoes on either side.  We  chose our fish from dressed fresh catch on ice. 

Edited by Rebecca Ore
Just one picture.
  • Love 1

Our chase for old buildings and pubs in the Outback continues.

This is Lappa Junction, an old railway and mining town in Far North Queensland, Australia. It is made up of three dilapidated 120 year old buildings, now a museum and BYO tavern.

Behind the counter on the right is Tim Prater, the owner. Tim loves to talk, a great spinner of yarns, hence his nickname 'the Yappa from Lappa'.

Tim lives there on his own, his kingdom is Australian Heritage on the wild side, with original corrugated roof sheets with holes for airflow, except during the Wet...

Ever so optimistic, Tim put 'the whole town' on the market. He got his fame in the media, TV, ABC and social media, all the way to the UK. Sadly there are no takers as yet.

Across the track is the old railway stop. A while ago, a dog from a passing ute bit a lady passenger on the SavannahLander tour, so now the train doesn't stop here anymore.

2RBRW35.jpg

2RBRTDN.jpg

2RBRRXF.jpg

2RBRWGN.jpg

2RBRT9C.jpg

2 hours ago, gvallee said:

Our chase for old buildings and pubs in the Outback continues.

This is Lappa Junction, an old railway and mining town in Far North Queensland, Australia. It is made up of three dilapidated 120 year old buildings, now a museum and BYO tavern.

Behind the counter on the right is Tim Prater, the owner. Tim loves to talk, a great spinner of yarns, hence his nickname 'the Yappa from Lappa'.

Tim lives there on his own, his kingdom is Australian Heritage on the wild side, with original corrugated roof sheets with holes for airflow, except during the Wet...

Ever so optimistic, Tim put 'the whole town' on the market. He got his fame in the media, TV, ABC and social media, all the way to the UK. Sadly there are no takers as yet.

Across the track is the old railway stop. A while ago, a dog from a passing ute bit a lady passenger on the SavannahLander tour, so now the train doesn't stop here anymore.

2RBRW35.jpg

2RBRTDN.jpg

2RBRRXF.jpg

2RBRWGN.jpg

2RBRT9C.jpg

I can’t imagine the heat buildup in those tin buildings.
Reminds me of a boy who made a boat shape out of corrugated tin. He begged me to get in & we’d float on a pond. With great trepidation, I got in because I didn’t want to hurt his feelings.
We made it to the middle of the small farm pond before it sank from the nail holes in it, & my brother-in-law had to jump in & get me. I didn’t know how to swim, yet, but learned later that summer.  Why my brother-in-law allowed me to get in I’ll never know, but he was a weird guy. I was 9. The boy was my brother-in-law’s young brother. He was weird, too.

Love this series, Gen.

• Love 3

7 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I can’t imagine the heat buildup in those tin buildings.
Reminds me of a boy who made a boat shape out of corrugated tin. He begged me to get in & we’d float on a pond. With great trepidation, I got in because I didn’t want to hurt his feelings.
We made it to the middle of the small farm pond before it sank from the nail holes in it, & my brother-in-law had to jump in & get me. I didn’t know how to swim, yet, but learned later that summer.  Why my brother-in-law allowed me to get in I’ll never know, but he was a weird guy. I was 9. The boy was my brother-in-law’s young brother. He was weird, too.

Love this series, Gen.

Thank you Betty. Yes the heat is quite unbearable in those, even for me. And then there is the deafening sound of rain in the Wet season.

The guy is obviously totally self-sufficient there for energy and water. The location is a very arid area. Tim has a rain water tank but he was moaning that tourists with caravans come and steal his water.

• Love 2

15 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Thank you Betty. Yes the heat is quite unbearable in those, even for me. And then there is the deafening sound of rain in the Wet season.

The guy is obviously totally self-sufficient there for energy and water. The location is a very arid area. Tim has a rain water tank but he was moaning that tourists with caravans come and steal his water.

I’ve been under a tin roof in the rain, & one has to shout to be heard. I’ve been known, though, to turn over a tin tub outside my bedroom window because I love the sound of rain while I’m in bed. A cracked open window & the sound is perfect. You can hear it over your partner’s snores.

East end Ripon Cathedral, Ripon city, North Yorkshire

east-end-ripon-cathedral-ripon-city-nort

Two wood folding chairs and folding table in bright sunlight, Kirkgate, Ripon city

two-wood-folding-chairs-and-folding-tabl

Couple holding hands walking along Kirkgate towards Ripon Cathedral, Ripon city

couple-holding-hands-walking-along-kirkg

Black and white wood frame property, Market Place West, Ripon city, North Yorkshire

black-and-white-wood-frame-property-mark

Allan

• Love 2

47 minutes ago, NYCat said:

You do  amazing bird photos.

Paulette

Dear Paulette,  birds are amazing what I discovered last year autumn when made my first photo. Many thanks :)

Giant portrait of King Vajiralongkorn and Queen Suthida of Thailand on the side of the C.P. Tower 1, Silom district, Bangkok, Thailand. Thailand's Prime Minister, Prayuth Chan-ocha, said 11 July, 2023, that he is retiring from politics but will remain in charge temporarily. This comes after his political party, United Thai Nation, suffered a major loss in the May 14 election. The Move Forward Party, a social democratic and progressive political party, was the biggest winner in the election. On 13 July, 2023, the new Parliament prepares to to hold a vote on who will be the next Prime Minister.

2RBWCNC.jpg