July 2023 Favourite Uploads

gvallee

What went on after my water leak.

2RD62E9.jpg

Damage. This was cut out & replaced, finish removed on whole ceiling, knockdown finish applied.

2RD62BM.jpg

A subject we recently discussed. 😁

2RD62BT.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1
  • Like 2

Some from my last upload.

Bottom of Steep Hill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire

bottom-of-steep-hill-lincoln-city-lincol

Two photographers stopped for refreshing drink, High Street, Lincoln City

two-photographers-stopped-for-refreshing

View from Primrose Hill, Skipton, North Yorkshire,

view-from-primrose-hill-skipton-north-yo

Springs Branch Canal south from Mill Bridge, Skipton, North Yorkshire,

springs-branch-canal-south-from-mill-bri

Narrow boat Delphinium moored on Springs Branch Canal, Skipton, North Yorkshire

narrow-boat-delphinium-moored-on-springs

Allan

• Love 3

Manchester, UK. 21st July, 2023. Hundreds of school children, mainly teenagers, stampeded, while often screaming, in city centre Manchester, UK. Police summoned reinforcements to set up a line near Market Street Metrolink tram stop to prevent crowds of youths going further into the city centre. The Manchester Evening News reported that someone threw eggs and drinks at police, children 'ran riot' and, at 17.27, that 'Police have just announced there is now a dispersal order in place - and if you don’t move when asked “you may be arrested”'. Credit: Terry Waller/Alamy Live News

2RDHJ5W.jpg

2RDH2K0.jpg

• Like 1

This one just passed QC, and is of a feral (possibly handled as a kitten, also possibly abused) tom (real problems with his spraying) who had been trying to invade the house by either slow blinking me or fighting the other cats.   Lola the dog set a limit on permitted cats to three and chases any others.  The little tom beats up my calico female, and won't be welcome until he's fixed, if Luis catches him again (cat carrier door hit the house door and opened the only time Luis did get him crated for a while).  I've tried petting him, but get swatted, though with claws retracted.   I had a camera out checking lenses when he showed up.  High ISO noise fixed with the new AI noise reduction.  2RE21B0.jpg

Old Sandinista. 

2RE21AC.jpg

Marco Gonzalez, Nicaraguan lawyer, son of a lawyer who opposed Somoza, from an FSLN family, fought during the rebellion against Somoza, also lived in Russia, Cuba, Sweden, Guatemala, the USA, and Venezuela.   Brother of a friend.    Currently in seclusion because of ill health, photo take before then.

Edited by Rebecca Ore
cleaning up.
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

5th February, 2014. Time is about 10.50 am. Emergency service vehicles block Oxford Road, Manchester, University of Manchester area, UK, as fire brigade officers try to free people trapped in two cars after a serious road traffic accident. Police have closed the road with a cordon and it is filled with police, paramedic and fire engine vehicles. (Additional info: The Manchester Evening News reported at the time: 'A man is seriously ill in hospital after a car and private hire car collided outside Manchester University. Police believe the red Lexus car and silver Toyota Avensis collided head-on outside the Oxford Road campus this morning. The 24-year-old driver of the Lexus, which overturned in the smash, is being treated at the Manchester Royal Infirmary. His condition has been described as serious. The 48-year-old cab driver suffered fractured ribs. Neither vehicle was believed to be carrying any passengers.'). 

(Personal: I came out of the dental hospital re. my tooth and arrived at this. The quality is only just good enough to be uploaded as archival. A policeman told me to stop taking photos from outside the cordon with a dslr, despite dozens of students next to me taking photos with phones. . He threatened to take my camera away as it 'might contain evidence relevant to a crime'. I left at that point and made a complaint to GMP. A senior officer and the local Police Commissioner then confirmed that it was up to the police to set a cordon as large as they wanted and people had the right to take photos from outside the cordon.)

2RE7DWX.jpg

• Like 1

Outside stone steps to upper floor barn door Skipton Castle, Skipton, North Yorkshire,

outside-stone-steps-to-upper-floor-barn-

Mill cottages and Mill Bridge, Springs Branch Canal, Skipton, North Yorkshire,

mill-cottages-and-mill-bridge-springs-br

LEO Number 1 Pennine Cruisers narrow boat leaving Skipton canal basin for Springs Branch canal, Skipton, North Yorkshire,

leo-number-1-pennine-cruisers-narrow-boa

Bottom of Steep Hill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England,

YES! I know I have posted this image above already.  Just wondering if anyone can spot the major difference.

Hey! This could be a new competition.  "SPOT THE DIFFERENCE".

Allan

• Love 1
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Outside stone steps to upper floor barn door Skipton Castle, Skipton, North Yorkshire,

outside-stone-steps-to-upper-floor-barn-

Mill cottages and Mill Bridge, Springs Branch Canal, Skipton, North Yorkshire,

mill-cottages-and-mill-bridge-springs-br

LEO Number 1 Pennine Cruisers narrow boat leaving Skipton canal basin for Springs Branch canal, Skipton, North Yorkshire,

leo-number-1-pennine-cruisers-narrow-boa

Bottom of Steep Hill, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire, England,

YES! I know I have posted this image above already.  Just wondering if anyone can spot the major difference.

Hey! This could be a new competition.  "SPOT THE DIFFERENCE".

Allan

Verticals corrected and image is lighter. Do I win?

5 hours ago, gvallee said:

Verticals corrected and image is lighter. Do I win?

YES! Well done that lady.  Although it was the verticals that was the main alteration. I thought while I was at it maybe a tweek of brightness might be an improvement.

Allan

It is your turn to upload two images off the same original with one of them altered to continue the "SPOT THE DIFFERENCE" comp.😄

ITMA

Edited by Allan Bell

Manchester, UK, 26th July, 2023. An accessible toilet at Piccadilly Station, Manchester, UK, is 'out of use'. Street scenes or hidden corners, central Manchester, UK. Credit: Terry Waller/Alamy Live News.

(A personal note: by frequent lobbying I think I've got the up escalator from the Metrolink tram platform at this station working consistently: Metrolink staff say young people switch it off for fun. Staff then use a key to switch it on. I think the UK is going backwards on access issues. In many other countries, like Turkey, Qatar, UAE, Thailand, Vietnam, similar services work, are switched on, and the toilets are open and clean).

2REAEWB.jpg

6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

YES! Well done that lady.  Although it was the verticals that was the main alteration. I thought while I was at it maybe a tweek of brightness might be an improvement.

Allan

It is your turn to upload two images off the same original with one of them altered to continue the "SPOT THE DIFFERENCE" comp.😄

ITMA

Nahh... I only upload perfect pictures 🤪😉

• Love 1

View over Skipton castle entrance gate and Skipton town south to distant hills, Skipton, North Yorkshire,

view-over-skipton-castle-entrance-gate-a

Stone built terraced housing, Hallam's Yard, Skipton, North Yorkshire,

stone-built-terraced-housing-hallams-yar

Skipton castle shop and information and Clifford Tea Rooms, Skipton Castle, Skipton, North Yorkshire

skipton-castle-shop-and-information-and-

Entrance to Usher Gallery, Danesgate, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire,

entrance-to-usher-gallery-danesgate-linc

Allan

Useful, I think, to be familiar with the Gerasimov doctrine re the Russian war on Ukraine and further afield. eg. France riots. A good book: War With Russia: A Menacing Account by General Sir Richard Shirreff, publ. 2016.

Manchester, UK. 21st July, 2023. Hundreds of school children, mainly teenagers, stampeded, while often screaming, in city centre Manchester, UK. Police summoned reinforcements to set up a line near Market Street Metrolink tram stop to prevent crowds of youths going further into the city centre. The Manchester Evening News reported that someone threw eggs and drinks at police, children 'ran riot' and, at 17.27, that 'Police have just announced there is now a dispersal order in place - and if you don’t move when asked “you may be arrested”'. Credit: Terry Waller/Alamy Live News

2RDHJ5W.jpg

Manchester, UK. 21st July, 2023. Hundreds of school children stampeded in city centre Manchester, UK. Police summoned reinforcements to set up a line near Market Street Metrolink tram stop to prevent crowds of youths going further into the city centre. Someone threw eggs and drinks at police, local media reports, saying children 'ran riot'. Today was last day of school in many schools.  At 17.27 the local paper reported that 'Police have just announced there is now a dispersal order in place - and if you don’t move when asked “you may be arrested”' Credit: Terry Waller/Alamy Live News

2RDH2K0.jpg

I think these women (centre, holding each other) were upset and anxious. To get home they seemed to want to walk forwards. The local paper reported incidents of people being assaulted by groups of the youth crowd, who may look like children on these photos.

2RDH1XK.jpg

Edited by zxzoomy
add date

Morning… already hot… these darn dog days…

2RETJPK.jpg

Dog day cicadas having fun

2RETJR6.jpg

First try of Nikon Z8 in my backyard, with Canon lens and macro-tube: it worked.

2RETJK1.jpg

King Kong Lives

(another try of the Z8 with a long Canon lens and 1.4x extender: still worked!)

2RETJKJ.jpg

• Love 1
  • Like 3

On 05/07/2023 at 11:56, Allan Bell said:

Here I am again.

How did we do mum?

how-did-we-do-mum-2RA1NK4.jpg

Harris's Hawk eagerly waiting to fly Lincoln Castle

harriss-hawk-eagerly-waiting-to-fly-linc

Long Eared Owl tethered to stand Lincoln Castle

long-eared-owl-tethered-to-stand-lincoln

Lambretta 150 scooter and sidecar at The Castle Scooter Event, Cathedral Quarter, Lincoln City,

lambretta-150-scooter-and-sidecar-at-the

Lincoln city sightseeing bus in Minster Yard, Cathedral Quarter, Lincoln city

lincoln-city-sightseeing-bus-in-minster-

Network Rail engineers coach set waiting for signal to move thtough Lincoln City railway station

network-rail-engineers-coach-set-waiting

Allan

Nice shot Allan.

• Thanks 1

It's a struggle trying to find an original shot of a well photographed landmark, so I was pleased to spot these two swans feeding in sight of Durham Cathedral. Mind you it took a while to clone out the plastic bottles etc floating in the river, some people !

swans-feeding-in-the-river-wear-in-sight

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

It's a struggle trying to find an original shot of a well photographed landmark, so I was pleased to spot these two swans feeding in sight of Durham Cathedral. Mind you it took a while to clone out the plastic bottles etc floating in the river, some people !

swans-feeding-in-the-river-wear-in-sight

Yikes!  Durham cathedral towers are falling down.

Allan

• Like 1

One or two or five more.

Coca-Cola advertising sign.

coca-cola-advertising-sign-2RFC1BK.jpg

Lincoln Central Library, Free School Lane, Lincoln city, Lincolnshire.

lincoln-central-library-free-school-lane

Lindum Waste lorry collecting full builders skip from building site.

lindum-waste-lorry-colecting-full-builde

New greetings card and fancy goods shop MOOCH opened on the High Street, Lincoln City.

new-greetings-card-and-fancy-goods-shop-

And last but not least.

Danes Courtyard private garages, Lincoln City, Lincolnshire.

danes-courtyard-private-garages-lincoln-

Allan

• Love 1