is tagging an obese person obese legally actionable...?

57 minutes ago, zxzoomy said:

If I uploaded a photo of my stomach I would happily tag it as obese, fat, very fat, lardy etc. I hope to start my August diet soon.

Start it in July. Never too soon.

Allan

Perhaps the test is to consider how we would feel personally if we came across a picture of ourselves in a national newspaper with an unflattering caption. 

We have rights but we have ( IMHO) responsibilities that go beyond the letter of the law to think about other people's emotions and reactions. 

Maybe another test would be if we would be prepared to go and ask the person we are photographing if they had any objections to being captioned in a certain way - I am not suggesting doing it just a mental consideration test. 

Edited by geogphotos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, zxzoomy said:

If I uploaded a photo of my stomach I would happily tag it as obese, fat, very fat, lardy etc. I hope to start my August diet soon.

Does the UK have sugar tax yet? Some NHS topic in the news re obesity maybe?

Have someone poke a finger in the fat: a kid's; woman's and a mate's. The mate and you holding a beer; a burger; chips; pie; sugary drink. All just the belly and the hands of course.

(And tag the images with all the words that are allowed and are used by clients on AoA.)

wim

8 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I am relieved to see that I only have two images with the keyword 'obese' both of a side view of my gut a few years ago. 

Ditto.

On the wider topic. I'd only feel comfortable if their faces weren't in view. And I'd still have second thoughts to be honest. I'm thinking of getting people with a model release at this point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Ditto.

On the wider topic. I'd only feel comfortable if their faces weren't in view. And I'd still have second thoughts to be honest. I'm thinking of getting people with a model release at this point.

I agree. This is the territory for Model Releases. 

16 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I am relieved to see that I only have two images with the keyword 'obese' both of a side view of my gut a few years ago. 

I suppose I should change that to 'even more obese' 😁

I have three or four images of people all tagged as "obese", all in public, and all taken from the rear so not (facially) identifiable.

They very obviously fit into the medical definition so I would feel able to stand up in court and justify the tag.

Kumar

Edited by Doc

Years ago I took an image of a woman knitting in a log cabin at Pioneer Village in Toronto.  She was one of the "actors" there, with grey hair and pioneer clothing so she looked very Grandmotherly to me.  I keyworded accordingly and had "old" in there.  Some time later her daughter saw the image and contacted me complaining that her Mom was not "old".  I said "fine" and removed the keyword.  Sheesh.

Edited by Reimar
  • Like 1

Now if you are talking about old, senior, elderly, retiree, I have quite a few of those tags. Bulk of them, though are family Or unidentifiable people, though. In the US, people are eligible for AARP advantages, I think at 50 or 55. And its magazine refer to people as seniors. A lot of senior discounts from various businesses start at 55.

Ahem…I considered myself middle aged at that point. Now I call myself….decrepit. If I ever go to a walker or wheelchair, I’ll call myself dead, if I can still think of the word at that point.

Ahhh, we have to laugh at ourselves or we’d cry.

If you look in the mirror & think you resemble a Shar Pei, you’re old.

Edited by Betty LaRue

On 29/06/2023 at 14:42, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
(although thread from which this comment was lifted is closed, this is a distinct legal tangent worthy of discussion?)

The One They Call Janos said:
" A photographer on Alamy told me that he ended up being sued by an offended woman because he had labelled/keyworded her in one of his pics as obese!"

now wa-aaaaaa-ait a minute !!
was the subject obese or not obese???
can a subject be obese and successfully
sue for being tagged "obese" ???

It is Friday and a lot of the responses are "off the cuff" but my serious answer to the OP's question.

I did once do an assignment for a U.S. national publication on Obesity.  The publication was very specific and had specific model releases to be signed and the releases were specific to the publication's story.  I was paid extra by the publication to not relicense the images via my agency at the time and I did not.

I would never put Obese in the keywords on an image showing a person's face unless I had spoken with them and had a solid and specific model release.

Happy Friday,

Chuck

• Love 1
  • Like 5