Dealing with sales droughts?

zxzoomy

Question

In the last 30 days I have netted $1.64. I usually do better than this. Something has changed but I don't know what. A rerank? An algorithm change? Ideas for what to do about it? Upload more images? Study All of Alamy to see what customers are searching for? Focus on latest trends? I see the latest trends on Alamy include Maximalism, Mindset reset, Truthism and Retro renaissance. Any ideas welcome as I'm getting stuck. 

14 answers to this question

I never look at what Alamy clients are searching for. Would probably need thinking about more, e.g. is this a search trend or a one off, etc. And I seem to be doing ok, so I don't bother.

But I do keep a look out for trends in the news. E.g. gas prices have been a lot in the news recently. Gary Linker and Match of the Day - BBC iPlayer. Council road budgets - potholes. So I take photos based on current trends. I also keep a look out for published stock imagery all the time. And 'ahem' use it for inspiration or to put me in new directions. 

Most of what I sell is taken at home or close to home. Very little relatively speaking sells from trips to pretty towns or from holidays (although these images do tend to sell for higher prices when they do sell). Generally, a lot of what I'm successful selling is thinking of themes and then coming up with photos to illustrate them.

I do upload fairly regularly, but no idea if that helps or not. I certainly sell more recent imagery, but my captions and keywording are better than they used to be....

You have my sympathies, I certainly find it demoralising when I have a period with no sales.

Edited by Steve F
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve F said:

But I do keep a look out for trends in the news. E.g. gas prices have been a lot in the news recently. Gary Linker and Match of the Day - BBC iPlayer. Council road budgets - potholes. So I take photos based on current trends. I also keep a look out for published stock imagery all the time. And 'ahem' use it for inspiration or to put me in new directions. 

In my view this is exactly the way to go.  We need to make photos that buyers want to purchase, not what we “think” they will buy or that we think they “should” buy.  I shoot a lot in Downing Street and a photographer said to me this is not “real” photography.  But it sells every week.  

I too am having a lower level of sales than normal.  I am guessing that there has been an algorithm change.  Although I don’t often agree with Iain, he is right.  You just have to ride it out.  It’s tough and disheartening but I have never worked in a job when it was not like that at varying points.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Last week when I went to the Alamy home page a popup appeared asking if I wanted to try the A.I. version of the search engine.  I entered a search term and clicked, it gave me two versions of the search and asked me to chose the one I liked the best.  I couldn't tell the difference so I want to retry using different terms I clicked and the window disappeared never to return.  I guess I chose one, don't know which.  So it seems like a new search engine is in the works.  Only 1 sale and a couple of zooms since June 1st after a good month in May.  I thought maybe the whole world went on vacation.

• Love 1

23 minutes ago, zxzoomy said:

After 63 years with a camera, starting with the esteemed Brownie 127

I've just bought myself a TLR. Must have had a knock on the head given current film/dev prices. For what it's worth I had a very poor May (no sales at all) so you weren't the only one with a drought. June has already redeemed itself though so hang in, I am sure you will have your moment.

6 hours ago, Cal said:

I've just bought myself a TLR. Must have had a knock on the head given current film/dev prices. For what it's worth I had a very poor May (no sales at all) so you weren't the only one with a drought. June has already redeemed itself though so hang in, I am sure you will have your moment.

Enjoy using the new to you TLR. I used to have A Mamiya C330 and C220. Sold the C330 long ago, still have the C220 and 3 lenses. The 55mm was my favourite. May was one of my best ever months with 17 sales, June so far no where near as good. Unless you have a large port you can get ups and downs. It's the average over a set period that counts.

• Love 1

16 hours ago, zxzoomy said:

In the last 30 days I have netted $1.64. I usually do better than this. Something has changed but I don't know what. A rerank? An algorithm change? Ideas for what to do about it?

This happens regularly. I've had many droughts, sometimes as long as 3 months. I've decided many times it's just not worth it anymore, and then they just start rolling in again. I've never been able to identify a specific reason, but with 5k pics among many millions it's hardly surprising.

Alan

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sb photos said:

Enjoy using the new to you TLR. I used to have A Mamiya C330 and C220. Sold the C330 long ago, still have the C220 and 3 lenses. The 55mm was my favourite. May was one of my best ever months with 17 sales, June so far no where near as good. Unless you have a large port you can get ups and downs. It's the average over a set period that counts.

I've still got a C330 kicking about somewhere. It hasn't been used in many a long year. I really should sell it and let someone get the use of it. Great images from the 2 1/4 square.

Since photography is not my bread and butter, I shoot what I want to shoot.  These days mostly birds (of which hardly ever sell) but I want to enjoy my photography. I just got back from visiting family in Calgary.  Spent a day alone in Canmore at my brother's condo.  Only had the Sony RX100ii with me, so limited in shooting capability.  Spent one evening walking along the Bow River with the Rockies behind it.  Elk were grazing on a small island in the river.  Took some shots, but not sure if I will upload them.  I'm sure there are thousands of shots of the Rockies in Alamy's port. But who knows?

Shooting trends here in Canada is more difficult, not much access to Downing Street.  I did sell a couple of shots of Westjet planes during the pilot's threat of a strike. But no way I would have made a special trip to get them.  Income from images is just too low to take on special costs for one trend that may or may not sell.

Jill

3 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

Since photography is not my bread and butter, I shoot what I want to shoot.  These days mostly birds (of which hardly ever sell) but I want to enjoy my photography. I just got back from visiting family in Calgary.  Spent a day alone in Canmore at my brother's condo.  Only had the Sony RX100ii with me, so limited in shooting capability.  Spent one evening walking along the Bow River with the Rockies behind it.  Elk were grazing on a small island in the river.  Took some shots, but not sure if I will upload them.  I'm sure there are thousands of shots of the Rockies in Alamy's port. But who knows?

Shooting trends here in Canada is more difficult, not much access to Downing Street.  I did sell a couple of shots of Westjet planes during the pilot's threat of a strike. But no way I would have made a special trip to get them.  Income from images is just too low to take on special costs for one trend that may or may not sell.

Jill

Hi Jill. It's funny to think our paths might have crossed recently. I too travelled a similar route from Edmonton to Vancouver via Calgary and Canmore, through Banff, the Bow River and Kamloops by way of the Rocky Mountaineer. I even had anxious moments regarding those West Jet strikes but all worked out well. Previous images of Canada haven't done very well but I'll still upload the shots taken on this trip. Even those West Jet shots even though you've got that covered. 😉Ps. I was really pleased to get a shot of a Steller's jay (Cyanocitta stelleri)

Edited by Sultanpepa

On 15/06/2023 at 13:57, sooth said:

Keep Calm and Continue Shooting.

I appreciate all your advice and reassurance. Indeed I gave up looking in my first year as nothing sold. Then the Express and the Times bought some so I was motivated again. Yesterday I spent 8 hours at the protest at the Thai Parliament in Bangkok, though the trouble with taking 400 plus photos and 7 videos is that the editing, captioning and tagging is demanding, as we all know.